[Q] How to Password Protect Android Shutdown?

Search This thread

tyguy829

Jun 8, 2010
Hi, I was wondering if there was any way to password protect shutting off an android phone. For example, when holding down the power button and clicking "shut down" on the popup menu, I want to have to enter a pin in order to shut off the phone. I have a Motorola Droid. I'm rooted and running CyanogenMod 7 (if it matters). Thanks!!

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
I just though about the same thing yesterday & to my surprise there is no such app. This should've been the most easiest thing to make I believe, just a pin to switch off.
Why hasn't no one thought about this?? :confused:

Am I the only person who can see the problem with this idea? You set up your device so that it can't be turned off or rebooted without the PIN, you have a non-removeable battery ... and then you forget the PIN!!

pricky

Sep 20, 2010
Am I the only person who can see the problem with this idea? You set up your device so that it can't be turned off or rebooted without the PIN, you have a non-removeable battery ... and then you forget the PIN!!

This should be optional so if you're sure that you're gonna forget a 4 digit combo or a pattern or whatever just write it down somehwere...you have a password for almost everything now!!
:cowboy:

lorenzo90l

Aug 12, 2012
Roma
This should be optional so if you're sure that you're gonna forget a 4 digit combo or a pattern or whatever just write it down somehwere...you have a password for almost everything now!!
Hi folks...Maybe I found a solution (a workaround!) that seems to work... it work on my Nexus 4 with stok android 4.4
It's an app in the play store that prevent the shutdown, blocking the power menu when you are in the lockscreen...when you are outside the lockscreen you have the normal power menu...
Protector de Lockscreen :D:victory:;)

Reactions: pricky

tyguy829

Jun 8, 2010
Hi folks...Maybe I found a solution (a workaround!) that seems to work... it work on my Nexus 4 with stok android 4.4
It's an app in the play store that prevent the shutdown, blocking the power menu when you are in the lockscreen...when you are outside the lockscreen you have the normal power menu...

THIS IS PERFECT. Thank you so much. I completely forgot about this thread I started back when I had an OG Droid. I actually just got a Moto X, and since its battery isn't removable, this is perfect. Everyone should have this so their phone can't be turned off when it is lost/stolen to allow for tracking. You are awesome, thanks.

Reactions: bensailorboy

qntris

Oct 7, 2009
Another tool that does it is "Advanced Power Menu" from the Xposed Installer (requires root).

Features
[NEW] Anti-theft helper - Stop anyone from turning off your phone /enabling airplane mode when the device is locked. In this way no one can stop Android Device Manager from locating your phone by turning off the phone or disabling mobile data (removable battery not taken into account)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2404042

Cheers!:good:

KylarBStern

Oct 30, 2013
It would be amazing but impossible.

Like with most electronics, smartphone be it Android (Moto. Sams. etc. ) or iOS (Iphone) you just need to hold the power button and volume up/down for a certain amount of time before the phone powers down - ergo even with an app like that which I have it is still possible to power the device down and get into the bootloader which makes it almost impossible to protect your phone.

Let's say some people don't know about this feature there you go you've got some time to gps track your phone with cerberus avg or whatever, though a professional thief would power off the device immediately or before you manage to get to a computer and track it.

Sorry it's still wort installing an app as every second counts.

m110a2

Jul 30, 2013
Madrid

Perfect on my THL W8 Beyond.

For other users... That issue is implemented in GravityBox (I think since GravityBox v2.9.5 version). Although this version and next don't works correctly in my phone, but this is another problem. GravityBox last version: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2249808&page=185

Saludos

jatyeo

Sep 9, 2010
SOLVED

Root your phone.
Install Xposed Framework.
Install Advanced Power Menu Module for Xposed Framework
Now you can easily mod you power menu, in and out of the lockscreen

FawzyHamdy

Jul 31, 2015
This video helped me alot.

h t t p s : / / w w w . y o ut u b e . c o m / w a t ch ? v = Q 6 C p F 3 B 4 x L g & f e a t ur e= y o u t u . b e
please remove spaces im a new user and that's just a youtube like to your problem.
sorry for admins but it's just a youtube video you can check it.

Apr 3, 2016
Gibralter
Smart lockscreen protector

Smart lockscreen protector

I believe this app should do the trick. It obviously can't prevent someone from removing the battery, but if your device has a non removable battery, this is the app for you

ZeframC

Mar 20, 2017

If you think it's a bad idea, don't do it. Sorted :)

-Kent

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

h t t p s : / / w w w . y o ut u b e . c o m / w a t ch ? v = Q 6 C p F 3 B 4 x L g & f e a t ur e= y o u t u . b e
please remove spaces im a new user and that's just a youtube like to your problem.
sorry for admins but it's just a youtube video you can check it.

Video is unavailable, I suspect you are a spammer
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Great solution! You can also have it block the fly-down menu from being used on the lock screen if you wish. My S6 doesn't have a long-press anything feature so that's not an issue.

Thanks !

jbd7

Jun 30, 2015
Solution for Oreo 8.0.0 ?

Hi,

I used to have Xposed and APM+ to prevent shutdown from the lockscreen, in case my phone gets stolen. It used to display a dummy "shut down" button, that would just simulate a shutdown turn off the screen, but the phone is still running. That would make sense for using in combination with apps like AndroidLost, in case a thief tries to shutdown the phone (of course, long press on the power button for long enough would do a real shut down, but there's still a chance that the thief gets fooled by the dummy shutdown)

Thanks to the efforts of the community, I still have my oneplus3 updated to Oreo, with Xposed and GravityBox. But APM+ doesn't work anymore. Is there a way to have the same effect today?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THIS IS PERFECT. Thank you so much. I completely forgot about this thread I started back when I had an OG Droid. I actually just got a Moto X, and since its battery isn't removable, this is perfect. Everyone should have this so their phone can't be turned off when it is lost/stolen to allow for tracking. You are awesome, thanks.
    Am I missing something? What would stop someone from pulling the battery?

:p

If your phone is inside a Love Mei case, "trapped" and secure with 6 hex screws.
    You first need to remove 6 screws before you can open the phone and remove the battery.

This gives you more time to track and erase your phone remotely.