[Q] Root RCA 7 Voyager RCT6773W22 tablet

Search This thread

Nate2

Dec 11, 2010
RCA 7 Voyager RCT6773W22 tablet.
Quad Core, 8GB internal storage, Android 4.4.2, one of those Walmart pre-Black Friday specials someone picked up.
Can't say anyone would actually want to replace their Google Nexus or Samsung with one of these, but it would be nice to have this rooted.
Anyone rooted one yet?
Thanks.

BuildInfos
Android version : 4.4.2
Release Codename : REL
API LEVEL : 19
CPU ABI : armeabi-v7a
Manufacturer : Gigabyte
Bootloader : unknown
CPU ABI2 : armeabi
Hardware : mt8127
Radio : unknown
Board : RCT6773W22
Brand : RCA
Device : RCT6773W22
Display : RCT6773W22-ANDROID4.4.2-3101-V25-V1.3.20
Fingerprint : RCA/RCT6773W22/RCT6773W22:4.4.2/KOT49H/1403615884:user/release-keys
Host : emdoor-r710
ID : KOT49H
Model : RCT6773W22
Product : RCT6773W22
Tags : release-keys
Type : user
User : shixiong

Memory
Download Cache Max: 622MB/ Free: 622MB
data Max: 5.17GB/ Free: 3.35GB
External storage: mounted
External storage Max: 5.17GB/ Free: 3.35GB
External storage removable: false
External storage emulated: true
Total RAM: 0.96GB
Free RAM: 173MB
Threshold RAM: 96.00MB

CPU
Processor ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
processor 0
BogoMIPS 2590.72
processor 1
BogoMIPS 2590.72
Features swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
CPU implementer 0x41
CPU architecture 7
CPU variant 0x0
CPU part 0xc07
CPU revision 3
Hardware MT8127
Revision 0000
Serial 0000000000000000
Frequency range: 598.0 -> 1300.0MHz
Current Frequency: 1300.0MHz
Frequency Stats (time):
- 1300.0 MHz 19.61% (210909)
- 1196.0 MHz 0.93% (9960)
- 1040.0 MHz 32.03% (344479)
- 747.5 MHz 1.31% (14122)
- 598.0 MHz 46.12% (496001)

Last edited:

AdamLeander

May 20, 2023
Moto G Power (2021)
What are your thoughts concerning the fastboot commands? I did try then on the 22 (tablet 1) and they don't work to the extreme that they manage to completely destroy the user data partition and you have to spflash tool the poor thing to get it back. It's file system is different than the 22b. The 22b says it's ext4 the 22 says ubifs? Which doesn't work with fastboot format apparently. I'd fall over faint to have tablet 3 working proper its data partition indeed needs a good scrubbing there's multiple folders in there for multiple apps Com.google.chrome-1 right up to dash 6. I can only see them tho can't delete its maddening!! Lol the odd thing is it's kinda nice to run a factory reset and NOT have to reinstall all your apps lol

leetree2001

Apr 8, 2013
houston
Bro,Sis I don't understand, well kinda, The problem most run in to with this tablet and other's like it comes after rooting. That being said,userdata partition is irrelevant, If you use Google, Big bro back's that up. The problem comes from a corrupt system partition. If you have data, personal, not in Google, that can only be saved through SP or rooting.but you do know bro has it just not for you 😂, so this to much already, but in short,lol it was another manufacturer a Qube tablet, with firmware that get you up and running, EXTREMELY BUGGY, but it worked somewhat. Once again the Old is s New. Oh yeah, you stated as long as it doesn't brick it. REALLY you tap build number, now you are a developer,GOd got you!!!!

AdamLeander

May 20, 2023
Moto G Power (2021)
Bro,Sis I don't understand, well kinda, The problem most run in to with this tablet and other's like it comes after rooting. That being said,userdata partition is irrelevant, If you use Google, Big bro back's that up. The problem comes from a corrupt system partition. If you have data, personal, not in Google, that can only be saved through SP or rooting.but you do know bro has it just not for you 😂, so this to much already, but in short,lol it was another manufacturer a Qube tablet, with firmware that get you up and running, EXTREMELY BUGGY, but it worked somewhat. Once again the Old is s New. Oh yeah, you stated as long as it doesn't brick it. REALLY you tap build number, now you are a developer,GOd got you!!!!
So sorry for any confusion :) "Once again the old is new" was saying my 3rd "old' tablet (a w22b) is actually "new." Only purchased that one a few months ago, as far as I know it's still stock. I haven't done anything to it beyond running multiple recoveries. If anyone used it before me, they took incredibly good care of it as there's not a mark on it. This is the one that seems to have an issue with the stock recovery and can't wipe user installed apps.

The first of my three tablets (a w22), was revived using an image for the Cube (Qube) device and you are correct it's buggy. This tablet is the mystery because it didn't have 4.4, it had 5.1. It went black, and I brought it back with the Cube image to 4.4.

The second tablet (a w22b), is in meta mode. Long story short, I thought #1 was a w22b, I bought #2 hoping to pull firmware for number #1, #2 slipped into meta mode some how during read back and hasn't booted since, found #3 but I'm afraid to attempt anything on it because I've already got #2 broken, and #1 works but not at all like it used to be.

I really don't want #3 rooted, at all, I just wanted to pull its firmware to revive #2, and have #1 for testing purposes. Without root, I haven't found a way to pull #3's firmware so I just use it as stock, and #1 I test and play with. I have all three images from here, (28, 31, 38) that i've mix n matched for #1 with various success but absolutely nothing i've tried to flash to #2 has any effect. There just isn't an image available for the w22b's, and I've already softbricked #2 trying to get one.

leetree2001

Apr 8, 2013
houston
So sorry for any confusion :) "Once again the old is new" was saying my 3rd "old' tablet (a w22b) is actually "new." Only purchased that one a few months ago, as far as I know it's still stock. I haven't done anything to it beyond running multiple recoveries. If anyone used it before me, they took incredibly good care of it as there's not a mark on it. This is the one that seems to have an issue with the stock recovery and can't wipe user installed apps.

The first of my three tablets (a w22), was revived using an image for the Cube (Qube) device and you are correct it's buggy. This tablet is the mystery because it didn't have 4.4, it had 5.1. It went black, and I brought it back with the Cube image to 4.4.

The second tablet (a w22b), is in meta mode. Long story short, I thought #1 was a w22b, I bought #2 hoping to pull firmware for number #1, #2 slipped into meta mode some how during read back and hasn't booted since, found #3 but I'm afraid to attempt anything on it because I've already got #2 broken, and #1 works but not at all like it used to be.

I really don't want #3 rooted, at all, I just wanted to pull its firmware to revive #2, and have #1 for testing purposes. Without root, I haven't found a way to pull #3's firmware so I just use it as stock, and #1 I test and play with. I have all three images from here, (28, 31, 38) that i've mix n matched for #1 with various success but absolutely nothing i've tried to flash to #2 has any effect. There just isn't an image available for the w22b's, and I've already softbricked #2 trying to get one.
Wheeee ,brings back memories,lol . You have a lot going on with these. All I can really tell you is, and I know no one listens to this. I know I don't, if you can't get the original firmware, don't unlock bootloader or root, can be stuck. That's pretty much where we left at. DISCONTINUED. good luck 🤞

AdamLeander

May 20, 2023
Moto G Power (2021)
Thank you so much my friend for listening to my ramblings lol and yes it's been quite a debacle with these 3 tablets. As the lord giveth and taketh away, he giveth this time 😊 I have great news!!!

It seems tablets 3s user data partition filled itself and then self distrusted, it restarted and did a recovery itself, only this time, for the first time since I bought it 4 months ago, it did it right!!!! Data partition was WIPED and I have all my space back, googles updated, my apps are installed and there's a gig to spare!

Life is good 😊

leetree2001

Apr 8, 2013
houston
Thank you so much my friend for listening to my ramblings lol and yes it's been quite a debacle with these 3 tablets. As the lord giveth and taketh away, he giveth this time 😊 I have great news!!!

It seems tablets 3s user data partition filled itself and then self distrusted, it restarted and did a recovery itself, only this time, for the first time since I bought it 4 months ago, it did it right!!!! Data partition was WIPED and I have all my space back, googles updated, my apps are installed and there's a gig to spare!

Life is good 😊
Amen

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Hey all, been like... 9-10 years since I've been active on this thread. TBH I forgot ALOT of what I knew back then, but I noticed people have continued to periodically send requests for access to the dumchar and other stuff I once uploaded to my GDrive. Didn't think things were still ongoing with this project. Anywho, I'm rather curious what's the state of the project. I can't get a read on it based off the latest posts. It seems a lot of people can't root their tablets. I'm honestly not quite sure how I managed to root mine, at least I can't recall anymore since it's been years.
I currently I just know that I have successful root access using SuperSU.
When I pull up the recovery system it appears I have stock recovery, since it says

Android system recovery <3e>
RCT6773W22-ANDROID4.4.2-1401-V28-V1.6.1

Guess I lucked out by rooting without trying to flash a recovery :unsure:

In any case, if I can be of help to someone by providing some of my files or something like that, lemme know! I'll try to help out. Oh, and happy new year all. :)

AdamLeander

May 20, 2023
Moto G Power (2021)
Hey all, been like... 9-10 years since I've been active on this thread. TBH I forgot ALOT of what I knew back then, but I noticed people have continued to periodically send requests for access to the dumchar and other stuff I once uploaded to my GDrive. Didn't think things were still ongoing with this project. Anywho, I'm rather curious what's the state of the project. I can't get a read on it based off the latest posts. It seems a lot of people can't root their tablets. I'm honestly not quite sure how I managed to root mine, at least I can't recall anymore since it's been years.
I currently I just know that I have successful root access using SuperSU.
When I pull up the recovery system it appears I have stock recovery, since it says

Android system recovery <3e>
RCT6773W22-ANDROID4.4.2-1401-V28-V1.6.1

Guess I lucked out by rooting without trying to flash a recovery :unsure:

In any case, if I can be of help to someone by providing some of my files or something like that, lemme know! I'll try to help out. Oh, and happy new year all. :)
Happy new year! Thanks so much for replying!

Firstly, I am by no means a developer eh. I am just a self-taught nerdy Canadian with far too much time lol. I have one w22, and two w22b's. My w22 went black a year ago, I was left with no choice but to blindly fiddle with Sp flash tools. I've managed to get it to work using a combination of downloads from here and an image for a cube device. Needless to say, my tablet is not what it was.

It needs its preloader and I have yet to find one working other than the cube one.

Tablet #2, a w22b, sits on my desk in a coma. It's stuck in meta mode.

Tablet #3, also w22b, is fully stock and for two weeks now has been working beautifully. I haven't tried to pull anything from #3 to revive #2, I'm afraid of breaking #3.

My w22 however is a bit of a unicorn, meaning everything I have read says it was android 4, but mine had 5. I know this for certain. But I'd be happy enough to have it working with 4.

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Happy new year! Thanks so much for replying!

Firstly, I am by no means a developer eh. I am just a self-taught nerdy Canadian with far too much time lol. I have one w22, and two w22b's. My w22 went black a year ago, I was left with no choice but to blindly fiddle with Sp flash tools. I've managed to get it to work using a combination of downloads from here and an image for a cube device. Needless to say, my tablet is not what it was.

It needs its preloader and I have yet to find one working other than the cube one.

Tablet #2, a w22b, sits on my desk in a coma. It's stuck in meta mode.

Tablet #3, also w22b, is fully stock and for two weeks now has been working beautifully. I haven't tried to pull anything from #3 to revive #2, I'm afraid of breaking #3.

My w22 however is a bit of a unicorn, meaning everything I have read says it was android 4, but mine had 5. I know this for certain. But I'd be happy enough to have it working with 4.
Oh goodness, to be quite hoenst, I'm not so sure how I could be of help with those then. I feel like I got lucky getting the W22 rooted with Iroot back in the day, but didn't risk trying to install a custom recovery or anything like that. It's running supersu just fine with titanium backup and rom toolbox. Honestly if you have a working device your best bet all these years later would prob be to try one of the automatic root programs and cross your fingers. Other than that, considering the age and low level market for the device, I would definetely consider getting another tablet with better support or ease of modding. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm honestly just thankful my device still works. I don't use it very much these days but its nice to have around.

AdamLeander

May 20, 2023
Moto G Power (2021)
Oh goodness, to be quite hoenst, I'm not so sure how I could be of help with those then. I feel like I got lucky getting the W22 rooted with Iroot back in the day, but didn't risk trying to install a custom recovery or anything like that. It's running supersu just fine with titanium backup and rom toolbox. Honestly if you have a working device your best bet all these years later would prob be to try one of the automatic root programs and cross your fingers. Other than that, considering the age and low level market for the device, I would definetely consider getting another tablet with better support or ease of modding. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm honestly just thankful my device still works. I don't use it very much these days but its nice to have around.
HA! No help? You, my new friend, have been FAR more helpful than you realize without even trying! LOL I'm not kidding!

So, aside from these three RCA tablets, I have a Sony Tablet S running Android ICS, had it for years, still stock, tried many many times to root it, no success. THREE MINUTES after reading your message, I had it rooted and supersu running perfectly!!! I've done many a search on google for one click root apps and have NEVER come across iRoot before. Worked like a charm!

As for the RCA's, tablet one may not be what it used to be, but it does run VLC and streams episodes from my home network no problem. Tablet three is currently working beautifully and is still stock. I have several ways to make tablet one work, and using it and tablet two for testing I may figure out something to get number two somewhat functional again. I have already formatted (yes, bootloader and all!!!) tablet one, flashed the stock cube image, and used iRoot to root it. Honestly it was a whole lot easier using iRoot than how I did it the first time. If tablet three gives me any grief in future or I get bored one day I have the iRoot apk I downloaded backed up and can try rooting it when I'm ready.

I have a question for your tho if you wouldn't mind....the w22's have 19 partitions, the w22b's have 20. There is an FRP partition before the Android system partition. Would that in any way prevent the iRoot app from working or cause anything to go wrong? I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons the TWRP I have that works on the w22 will not "fastboot boot recovery.img" on the w22b. The device tree doesn't match (someone mentioned that above).

I'm not exactly wanting to perm-root the new w22b anyway, I'd be happy enough to gain root access long enough to debloat it, and add some of my user apps as system apps. The w22b has a 2gb system partition and 1.4gb of that is just empty space, sitting there laughing at me.

Again, THANK YOU so much for leading me to iRoot :)

Adam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    could you try....
    run the spflashtool with no sdcard in ? new scatter, full/format, and no sd would that not correct the missformat slash error-full mounting....

codelover is thinking scatter files need to be fixed for both v31 and v38 variants.

As far as the oc goes. i found a Chinese flashable oc with app for a MTK6589/T soc. The problem with it is one its in Chinese which most people including my self cant read. I've already finished translating it all completely to English the app and config files. Another issue is the config for there's doesn't even touch the voltage settings. So currently I am putting all the info for our soc+voltage settings.

On another note. TWRP seems to be ready atleast the v38 variant is for sure as i am currently running it and took the risk of brick to get ubi formatting working.(Thanks to @codelover for his awesome coding skills) I believe the v31 might be ready as well. I choose not to release yet as there are somethings that are still some things that need fixed first such as scatterfile and v31 rom. Once we have verified that both known variants scatter files and pre-rooted roms work a new op will be made consisting of everything for our model tabs. As the original op that we are using now would make it hard for others to find as it was just a question about how to root. I will post link to it here when that time comes. The new op will consist known working root tool that gives you supersu (kingo) for those with already working non rooted tabs, as well as prerooted stock roms for those that are already bricked due to the bad updates rca did.,scatter files, twrp, spft tool+drivers for both windows and linux and lastly the oc.zip which may be posted at the same time or shortly after depending on how its going. Including some guides for new people ;)

@synius instead of the stock rom leave it rooted but use supersu instead of the Chinese based superuser.

Lastly I would like to thank the following people for helping us test (when needed), trying to help, giving feedback and your time in no particular order. @synius @nathanski @vampirefo without your help we may have never learned that there is 2 known variants for our tabs nor be as close to as we are now to having support for a tablet that prolly wouldn't have never had it being its such a cheap tab. So thank you and lets keep it up.
    @TripFX, sorry bro for my late reply, was busy with something else. Well, i think you have wrong understanding about locked bootloader.

#1) Unlocking on ME173X & H3C are possible simply because there exists two variants of these device:
    One with locked BL and another with unlocked BL, so we simply use files from the unlocked variant on our locked variant.

#2) If Magic TWRP worked & you booted to TWRP before, you device is NOT locked/restricted.
    Device with locked BL cannot use SFPT to flash at all, and if you attempt to flash through running system, you will get a bootloop instead.

The reason why TWRP didn't work properly is because this device uses UBIFS, not many custom recovery built with this fs support.
    Infact, yuweng already pointed you to the right direction, i didn't see anyone else sharing a working TWRP with UBIFS support here.
    For now, you can try to port using above TWRP (old), or you can try carliv's modified CWM as he has a build with UBIFS support too.
    Without UBIFS support in recovery, you won't be able to alter anything stored in /system, as well as /data.
    Changing fs to ext4 is possible, but that would require lots of manual works, as well as some brave man willing to try it as there is a risk.

Fixing a scatter is easy, you can use below attached scatter file as a reference, but you MUST check & fix the offsets according to your device first.
    Perhaps i can help with this as well as creating a working recovery, but first i will need some info from your rooted device, please post the results to pastebin:
    Note: Some path might not exist in your device so you can ignore them, just post those with output.
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cat /proc/mounts
    cat /proc/partinfo
    cat /proc/partitions
    cat /proc/dumchar_info
    cat /proc/devices
    cat /proc/mtd
    ls -al /
    ls -al /dev
    ls -al /dev/block/
    ls -al /dev/block/platform/
    ls -al /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/

EDIT #1:
    Alright, thanks for the well organized infos, but looks the the device did not provide all the info i need, especially the start address.
    I guess i will have to write some script to parse & calculate the address manually, argh! that's gonna take quite some time..!

Btw, do you know how to dump the ROM using SPFT 'Read Back'? Please create the dump & send me the via PM. (You can refer my 3C guide)
    Open SPFT 5 & load below scatter -> Read Back -> Add -> Double click "PageSpare" -> "ROM_0" -> Save -> "Read Page Only" ->
    -> Start Address: 0x0 -> Length: 0xf800000 -> OK -> Read Back -> Connect the phone @ PreLoader mode.

I have prepared a test recovery for you guys, but until a fixed scatter is ready you can only flash with MobileUncle or Flashify app.
    This is just a test to check whether the recovery is booting, i will try to fix other problem later.
    DONT USE GEORGES as his was made for v38 tabs and also doesn't fully work. We are now aware of the the exact problem and its a rather easy fix. v38 and v31 have different touch layouts being they have different lcd's. Not a big issue we will need you to try flashing again with these test builds until we find the right touch layout for the v31. Link/s will be provided below as we are rebuilding it now.
    @codelover omg thank you so much. This was completely unexpected. I will trust your opionion that I have have a misunderstanding with the bootloader. Sorry im an expert in windows not andriod/linux. I really do appreciate you helping and even responding. i figured you was just too busy. I have to get ready for work but i will most def have the logs pulled. Yeah you are right about being pointed in the right direction for easy twrp as i did get twrp working partially. Even followed the ubifs tut posted but i ended up giving up as i thought it was the bootloader. I can reboot fastboot but it hangs saying "fastboot mode...." But yeah i will get those for you as soon as i get home.

Update attached links to paste bin:
    cat /proc/mounts
    cat /proc/partinfo (no directory found)
    cat /proc/partitions
    cat /proc/dumchar_info
    cat /proc/devices
    cat /proc/mtd
    ls -al /
    ls -al /dev
    ls -al /dev/block/
    ls -al /dev/block/platform/
    ls -al /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/ (no directory found but by last one i knew it would be .1 not .0 . also note /by-name fails same with /by-number)
    So I gave you this one as well just in case;)
    ls -al /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.1

Update for everyone waiting on progress:
    Thanks to @codelover we are making further progress :highfive:. Please be sure to thank him as he is gracious enough to help us even though he doesn't have our tab. Also as always thanks for being patient.