[Q] How to open "App permissions" on Android 4.2.2?

Search This thread

YCkcaJ

Mar 4, 2014
Hi,
today I saw in notifications "App permissions" and opened it, it allows me to manage permissions of installed apps. This should be a native feature as far as I know, the device runs 4.2.2 and is not rooted and the only managing app I have there is 3C toolbox but even that doesn't seem to have app permissions on it's own.

I think I saw this when I first got the phone as well, I had reset it last week and it notified me about this "App permissions" today.
I like it and would like to know how can I open this settings page? Via menu, or secret code or how can I get there again once I close it?
When I opened it from notifications it was turned off. I have turned it on, now when I try to turn it off it says:
"Apps will directly get permissions without your confirmation."
And I get asked when apps try to access something and seems like I am able to limit apps individually and their individual permissions and also manage them on this "Apps permissions" page.
I have not been able to find it in settings, manage apps nor Engineering mode, where is it hiding? How can I open it?

It looks like this:

rkMjCckl.png
gW3fdNul.png

Thanks.

YCkcaJ

Mar 4, 2014
Come on, someone has to have Android 4.2 and the knowledge here folks! Where is this "App permissions" hiding, where can it be opened?

YCkcaJ

Mar 4, 2014
It wasn't an option in 4.2
False, it is available in 4.2.
They changed it afterwards with 4.4 there you can get the opp apps or what it is to get the feature back. It's hidden in 4.2 though, hence I don't know how to get to it once I close it but it is obviously there. You can see the screenshots hey?

There are some app permissions editor apps you can download.
Yes, if I would root it then they would probably work.
Any good ones that are free and not bloated with rubbish/ads/... like most apps tend to be?

ryan012

Feb 5, 2014
Yes, if I would root it then they would probably work.
Any good ones that are free and not bloated with rubbish/ads/... like most apps tend to be?

I don't know how you could get to it if it is part of your settings somewhere .

You can search "app ops" for some apps to get you to the hidden menu.
The app , Advanced Permissions Manager can remove permissions and reinstall app without them. Lucky Patcher can remove some app components and permissions then reinstall and some more. Xprivacy is an xposed module can restrict anything of an app.

To keep an app from being able to connect on data, wifi, you could use a firewall app. Xposed has a module for that it's called, LightningWall

Last edited:

YCkcaJ

Mar 4, 2014
AppOps
and similar applications give a message that says: "This app is incompatible with your device."
Which is obvious since these are meant for 4.3 and 4.4. Versions prior to these are different when it comes to permission management. And 4.2 has no appops.

YCkcaJ

Mar 4, 2014
No, no one seems to know how to open this built in "App permissions" manager that I have in 4.2.2 and could one time open from the notifications.
Sure there are 3rd party apps and options to root and so on but why when there are features in the OS already.

TeaTimeMyDear

Nov 11, 2015
Hi,

Well i have read it on the web - it seems that Android version 4.2.2 removed the "Permission Manager".

I'm in the same situation till i migrated my smartphone OS from Android 4.2 to 4.2.2 - thats' really enoying.
I suppose i'll flash the ROM to recover Android version 4.2 (i mean the official factory Android version of my smartphone) or something.....

Cheers.