Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,660 Members 54,294 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will American AT&T S3 work on Bell Canada?

Tip us?

TacoTown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Will American AT&T S3 work on Bell Canada?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, or if this is a stupid question but my sister's phone recently died, and I'm looking for a cheap replacement that will also be an upgrade for her. I found an S3 for $200, however it's from the USA and it is from AT&T. If I just put cyanogenmod on there, will it work with a Bell Canada sim, or will i have to pay to get it unlocked or something? Thanks in advance!

Planterz
Old
(Last edited by Planterz; 4th July 2014 at 07:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTown View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, or if this is a stupid question but my sister's phone recently died, and I'm looking for a cheap replacement that will also be an upgrade for her. I found an S3 for $200, however it's from the USA and it is from AT&T. If I just put cyanogenmod on there, will it work with a Bell Canada sim, or will i have to pay to get it unlocked or something? Thanks in advance!
You should see if the seller can carrier-unlock it for you. If it's paid for, and has a clean IEMI, it shouldn't cost him to get it unlocked through AT&T.

As for the phone itself, it's compatible with Bell's band 4, but not band 7. So that part depends on what Bell uses in the areas you want to use it in. From what I can tell, band 4 is their main band, with band 7 to offer more bandwidth in some areas (cities?). But in theory, it should work as long as it's unlocked, and will work on GSM/UMTS if not LTE.

EDIT: Check out the Moto G LTE as well. Band 4 support, quad core 1.2GHz processor, MicroSD slot, $220 brand new.
Relax, go nutz!
The Following User Says Thank You to Planterz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]