Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Android browser with data compression and adblocker proxy?

OP k8500

19th August 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 235

236 posts
Somehow I actually haven't noticed this earlier: As you know there are Android browsers available that include a (usually optional) data compression proxy. Google Chrome and Opera (it's called 'Opera Turbo' there) are among those. Enabling this proxy means that all data is redirected through the browsers own proxy and images / videos (maybe more) are compressed in the process, saving bandwidth for the user. In theory that's some great stuff, as at least in Germany, internet packages for mobile data are still very limited in volume and bigger packages are expensive. However, redirecting through the proxy also means that all data will have the same origin IPl, rendering adblockers like Adaway useless (these work by blocking specific IPs.).

So, let's just assume that 20% of usual traffic is for advertisements (I think that's not too far from the truth). By using an adblocker (meaning no data compression proxy), I'll save: 20% traffic.

I'm currently using Google Chrome with the data compression proxy enabled. Its statistics say that it saved 20% over the course of a month. So, by using this, on average, I'll save: 20% traffic.

As I detailed earlier, I have the choice of using one, data compression proxy or adblocker, and both lead to the same savings. So, thank you, Google, you just enabled me to view free ads!

Anyways does anyone know a workaround for this? Maybe there's a browser that enabled (through a special proxy) both, data compression and adblocking. I'd actually like to keep Google Chrome cause that's the one that works best for me, but I'm also open for trying alternatives!
Last edited by k8500; 19th August 2014 at 04:26 PM.
19th August 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 235

236 posts
Again, Android specific... I think this would belong in the Android section. Anyways, anyone got an idea?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread