[Q] Why is Android so hardware specific

OP sizemoreg

10th August 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Otisco, Indiana, United States
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
More
May be a dumd question, but I'm asking anyway. Why is Android so hardware specific?. or better yet, why can't you install any android system on any phone?

example: you can install windows or linux on any system, you don't have to have a certain set of chips. Is it a propitiatory type thing with these phone makers. is the whole android system so small, that the coding can't be added to make it installable on any phone.

I'm not a coder, or prgrammer, I do understand it enough to read what it is doing, but cannot write anything. Can someone shed some light on this

Thanks in advance
10th August 2014, 02:32 AM   |  #2  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 274

965 posts
More
You've got this completely bass ackwards. Android is decidedly not hardware specific. Phones, tablets, computers, car stereos, home heating/AC, watches, TVs, etc. Android is open source, which means anybody can develop it to work on just about any platform they wish. I mean, you can get refrigerators and microwaves that run Android for Pete's sake.

If you're complaining that you can't get Android on an iPhone or a Nokia Lumia, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
10th August 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #3  
Flag Ulm
Thanks Meter: 11

27 posts
More
To add some more "devices" to the list above on which android can be installed - cars! I'm working in that industry now

And the answer above is right - if your device is totally closed for others, then you will not be able to install anything on it, maybe, without really breaking into it. Android can be put mostly on any hardware - if the hardware manufacturer wants it. The short description is - Android is implemented on top of HALs (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which are then implemented by manufacturers specific to their devices and then Android works "out of the box".
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread