Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Best way to backup-recover apps/data to unrooted phones coming from root...

OP electech13

1st November 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto, Oakville, Milton
Thanks Meter: 63

524 posts
More
I always root and mod my phones and have used Titanium Backup Pro religiously for years now but I do work on other people's phones a lot and curious what some of you use or think is the "best" or "easiest" solution for people who aren't rooted and want to recover or move over saved apps and data?

My cousin got a galaxy alpha, coming from a S4 and the S4 was rooted and modded (I did for him) and had been using TB as well but much to my dismay he doesn't want to root (at least yet) his new phone in fear of the damn Knox warranty voiding trip counter (he didn't care about same thing on last phone though?)

So would just like to know what is your easiest recommendation to (similarily) get the ton of apps he has saved via TB (and their customized data/settings) etc onto the new device? (Well knowing that one can't specifically use TB to do this process anymore on the new unrooted phone). I know of a couple work-a-rounds but not necessarily the best..so curious.

Thanks

Ps..I DO KNOW that he or I can't specifically restore the Titanium Backup files to a non root device but looking for the best similar option...the old phone is still here and loaded with everything needed...so installing something else and doing new app/data backup to SD or cloud etc IS the option being requested.

[emoji3]

Sent from my *ROOTED* Note 4 SM-N910W8
2nd November 2014, 05:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 1

82 posts
More
Root - restore backups - remove root

You can restore apps which didn't require root, that should be enough if you don't want to root now.

It would help to know what exactly you aren't able to restore without root that doesn't require root already. My thought is: if he doesn't want root now, he wouldn't want to restore something that requires root.
2nd November 2014, 07:01 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto, Oakville, Milton
Thanks Meter: 63

524 posts
More
Well the root and unroot is not an option..as for the apps..most are regular apps..it's not the apps or the root access apps that's the issue, it's mainly the easy transfer of all the (many many apps) data to the phone..the built in Google backup and restore has failed me a few times in the past..

Sent from my *ROOTED* Note 4 SM-N910W8
Last edited by electech13; 2nd November 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread