[Q] Any chance of activating this phone?

OP otto325

5th July 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

121 posts
I live in Ontario, Canada and just bought a $30 Sprint CDMA HTC Evo3d from across the border(Buffalo NY) that works perfectly.

Since Rogers acquired Sprint Canada in 2005, I asked on Rogers forum if Rogers can activate this phone for use and they said no as Rogers only bought Sprint "home phone and long distance"...So I guess sprint wireless never even existed in Canada.

Is there any way of activating this phone in Canada with any other carrier, if it is unlocked perhaps? I already got it to s-off...

Also, I found this list of Sprint international carriers so maybe one of those companies(Canada) I can sign on with, or are these just for roaming coverage??

http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html#c
6th July 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto325

I live in Ontario, Canada and just bought a $30 Sprint CDMA HTC Evo3d from across the border(Buffalo NY) that works perfectly.

Since Rogers acquired Sprint Canada in 2005, I asked on Rogers forum if Rogers can activate this phone for use and they said no as Rogers only bought Sprint "home phone and long distance"...So I guess sprint wireless never even existed in Canada.

Is there any way of activating this phone in Canada with any other carrier, if it is unlocked perhaps? I already got it to s-off...

Also, I found this list of Sprint international carriers so maybe one of those companies(Canada) I can sign on with, or are these just for roaming coverage??

http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html#c

Rogers is GSM right? i dont think it would work since you said its a CDMA device.
6th July 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

121 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

Rogers is GSM right? i dont think it would work since you said its a CDMA device.

I spoke with Bell support, they said Sprint can give you a code to unlock it over the phone so it can be used on a different CDMA carrier(such as bell)
Last edited by otto325; 6th July 2014 at 04:00 AM.
6th July 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto325

I spoke with Bell support, they said Sprint can give you a code to unlock it over the phone so it can be used on a different carrier

thats true you could ask them, though be careful what you say, don't just say hey i want to use this on a different carrier.
6th July 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

121 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

thats true you could ask them, though be careful what you say, don't just say hey i want to use this on a different carrier.

Turns out you need the MSL password to access the EPST *edit* menu(CDMA frequencies and phone identity info for the new carrier to program in)

MSL can be obtained by ROOT app called "MSL Reader"

hope this helps someone some day
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread