Question [Q] Bought new phone - Google Play says "Your device already has this item installed"

OP gromky

17th October 2013, 09:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Zhejiang
Thanks Meter: 4

142 posts
More
I just got a new phone and went to Google Play web interface to install all my old software. None of it will install because Google claims "Your device already has this item installed". How do I install it without using the slow, tedious on-phone app?

I saw elsewhere that you're supposed to uninstall the app from your old phone first. That won't work because my old phone died unexpectedly. There are other help threads on this topic but Google Play has changed its web interface since then, so the information is outdated.
6th July 2014, 05:56 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
How to force reinstall apps from Google Play Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky

I just got a new phone and went to Google Play web interface to install all my old software. None of it will install because Google claims "Your device already has this item installed". How do I install it without using the slow, tedious on-phone app?

I saw elsewhere that you're supposed to uninstall the app from your old phone first. That won't work because my old phone died unexpectedly. There are other help threads on this topic but Google Play has changed its web interface since then, so the information is outdated.

Bump. I used link2sd to link nearly all of my apps to my microsd card, and that night, my microsd card went defective and I lost everything. (I was going to set up Titanium Backup the next morning! Shoulda done it immediately.) I've replaced my microsd card, but I can't install Titanium or anything else, because the Play Store erroneously thinks it's already installed and the web interface won't let me uninstall anything. I don't have the Play Store app on my phone - it got lost along with everything else. Any help, please? Thx.
6th July 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #3  
Flag Moshav Matityahu
Thanks Meter: 70

446 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky

in google play, when you click install, on the botttom of the pop up with all the permissions, there is a box with the title "choose a device" click that, then select your new device.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoff

Bump. I used link2sd to link nearly all of my apps to my microsd card, and that night, my microsd card went defective and I lost everything. (I was going to set up Titanium Backup the next morning! Shoulda done it immediately.) I've replaced my microsd card, but I can't install Titanium or anything else, because the Play Store erroneously thinks it's already installed and the web interface won't let me uninstall anything. I don't have the Play Store app on my phone - it got lost along with everything else. Any help, please? Thx.

cant you uninstall apps with the system settings?
6th July 2014, 07:41 AM   |  #4  

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro

in google play, when you click install, on the botttom of the pop up with all the permissions, there is a box with the title "choose a device" click that, then select your new device.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

cant you uninstall apps with the system settings?

Under "choose a device," my phone is grayed out/not able to be selected, since Play Store thinks that it's already there. Also, I can't uninstall it from within the phone since the phone knows that the app is actually *not* there. (If I could just convince the web-interface Play Store that the app is no longer on my phone, then there'd be no problem, but Google doesn't seem to offer that option anymore.)
6th July 2014, 08:33 AM   |  #5  
Flag Moshav Matityahu

446 posts
More
Quote:

Under "choose a device," my phone is grayed out/not able to be selected, since Play Store thinks that it's already there. Also, I can't uninstall it from within the phone since the phone knows that the app is actually *not* there. (If I could just convince the web-interface Play Store that the app is no longer on my phone, then there'd be no problem, but Google doesn't seem to offer that option anymore.)

have you tried formatting the phone?
6th July 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #6  

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro

have you tried formatting the phone?

I've considered it, but I believe that doing so would wipe out all of my SMS messages... and since I don't have any sort of backup software on my phone anymore (and I can't seem to download it without the Play Store) I'm at a bit of a loss.
7th July 2014, 08:46 AM   |  #7  
Flag Moshav Matityahu

446 posts
More
Quote:

I've considered it, but I believe that doing so would wipe out all of my SMS messages... and since I don't have any sort of backup software on my phone anymore (and I can't seem to download it without the Play Store) I'm at a bit of a loss.

and you can't install apps via apk files? because if you can download apk of titanium backup to backup your sms.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread