Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bought new phone - Google Play says "Your device already has this item installed"

Tip us?

gromky
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Bought new phone - Google Play says "Your device already has this item installed"

I just got a new phone and went to Google Play web interface to install all my old software. None of it will install because Google claims "Your device already has this item installed". How do I install it without using the slow, tedious on-phone app?

I saw elsewhere that you're supposed to uninstall the app from your old phone first. That won't work because my old phone died unexpectedly. There are other help threads on this topic but Google Play has changed its web interface since then, so the information is outdated.

geeyoff
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default How to force reinstall apps from Google Play Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post
I just got a new phone and went to Google Play web interface to install all my old software. None of it will install because Google claims "Your device already has this item installed". How do I install it without using the slow, tedious on-phone app?

I saw elsewhere that you're supposed to uninstall the app from your old phone first. That won't work because my old phone died unexpectedly. There are other help threads on this topic but Google Play has changed its web interface since then, so the information is outdated.
Bump. I used link2sd to link nearly all of my apps to my microsd card, and that night, my microsd card went defective and I lost everything. (I was going to set up Titanium Backup the next morning! Shoulda done it immediately.) I've replaced my microsd card, but I can't install Titanium or anything else, because the Play Store erroneously thinks it's already installed and the web interface won't let me uninstall anything. I don't have the Play Store app on my phone - it got lost along with everything else. Any help, please? Thx.

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post

in google play, when you click install, on the botttom of the pop up with all the permissions, there is a box with the title "choose a device" click that, then select your new device.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoff View Post
Bump. I used link2sd to link nearly all of my apps to my microsd card, and that night, my microsd card went defective and I lost everything. (I was going to set up Titanium Backup the next morning! Shoulda done it immediately.) I've replaced my microsd card, but I can't install Titanium or anything else, because the Play Store erroneously thinks it's already installed and the web interface won't let me uninstall anything. I don't have the Play Store app on my phone - it got lost along with everything else. Any help, please? Thx.
cant you uninstall apps with the system settings?
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp

geeyoff
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro View Post
in google play, when you click install, on the botttom of the pop up with all the permissions, there is a box with the title "choose a device" click that, then select your new device.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

cant you uninstall apps with the system settings?
Under "choose a device," my phone is grayed out/not able to be selected, since Play Store thinks that it's already there. Also, I can't uninstall it from within the phone since the phone knows that the app is actually *not* there. (If I could just convince the web-interface Play Store that the app is no longer on my phone, then there'd be no problem, but Google doesn't seem to offer that option anymore.)

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Under "choose a device," my phone is grayed out/not able to be selected, since Play Store thinks that it's already there. Also, I can't uninstall it from within the phone since the phone knows that the app is actually *not* there. (If I could just convince the web-interface Play Store that the app is no longer on my phone, then there'd be no problem, but Google doesn't seem to offer that option anymore.)
have you tried formatting the phone?

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!

geeyoff
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro View Post
have you tried formatting the phone?
I've considered it, but I believe that doing so would wipe out all of my SMS messages... and since I don't have any sort of backup software on my phone anymore (and I can't seem to download it without the Play Store) I'm at a bit of a loss.

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
I've considered it, but I believe that doing so would wipe out all of my SMS messages... and since I don't have any sort of backup software on my phone anymore (and I can't seem to download it without the Play Store) I'm at a bit of a loss.
and you can't install apps via apk files? because if you can download apk of titanium backup to backup your sms.