No registration required

[Q] Dangers of rooting - Banking Apps on rooted phone

OP Schwarzer Riese

9th July 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hey there,

I have some general Questions on rooting an Android phone.

I have an Sony Z1 and rooted it some days ago. I have installed some security apps like SuperSU (with password protection), XPrivacy and AFWall+. So I'd say the phone is protected against unwanted root-permisions or root actions from New installed apps, even when not done by myself.

But in most corners of the web you always read things like "Rooting is dangerous", "rooting destroys the natural sandbox system of Android, so every app has access to the data from other installed apps."

I'd like to know if this is really the case, especially if you "protect" your phone with things like XPrivacy (with standard denying of new apps), AFWall (also with standard access-deny of new installed apps) and not giving ans APP root-permissions other than those "Security" apps.
Or doesn't using this apps change things and the root is a Danger nevertheless?

For example my banking APP says, i shouldn't use it on a rooted phone.
...even not with hat installed apps above?
Where are the dangers when I tried to protect the phone?

It would be nice if you could give me some answers/advices.

Thank you, best regards, SchwarzerRiese
10th July 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzer Riese

Hey there,

I have some general Questions on rooting an Android phone.

I have an Sony Z1 and rooted it some days ago. I have installed some security apps like SuperSU (with password protection), XPrivacy and AFWall+. So I'd say the phone is protected against unwanted root-permisions or root actions from New installed apps, even when not done by myself.

But in most corners of the web you always read things like "Rooting is dangerous", "rooting destroys the natural sandbox system of Android, so every app has access to the data from other installed apps."

I'd like to know if this is really the case, especially if you "protect" your phone with things like XPrivacy (with standard denying of new apps), AFWall (also with standard access-deny of new installed apps) and not giving ans APP root-permissions other than those "Security" apps.
Or doesn't using this apps change things and the root is a Danger nevertheless?

For example my banking APP says, i shouldn't use it on a rooted phone.
...even not with hat installed apps above?
Where are the dangers when I tried to protect the phone?

It would be nice if you could give me some answers/advices.

Thank you, best regards, SchwarzerRiese

With the steps you've taken you should be fine using your banking app. The main reason the warning is there because if you accidentally let an app have root access, then you could have a problem, but in your case you are cautious with your root access and I'm more that sure you monitor it periodically. I have used my banking app on my rooted nexus 5 for almost a year now and have had no issues. It's just up to you how comfortable you are with managing your phone's security.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread