Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,177 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Nexus 5 cracked screen - How to retrieve data?

Tip us?

valueseeker77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Nexus 5 cracked screen - How to retrieve data?

Hi,

I broke the screen on my Nexus 5 while on a long holiday. I can still see about three quarters of the screen but the touch screen is basically busted, and as a result, I can't unlock the phone to get the data off. I backed up 90% of the photos via Dropbox but there is one week of photos I couldn't upload and there are also some really nice videos I'd like to get off.

Is there any way to sync to the file system without unlocking via the touchscreen? I don't think I have debugging disabled (I'm not particularly development savvy) so not sure what my options are...

I have a little time before I need to send the phone to LG for repair, so I'm willing to mess with this a bit and learn whatever I need to learn. I think I saw a thread somewhere detailing how it's down for the nexus 4 but not sure if it's applicable to the 5 as well...

Lokke9191
Old
(Last edited by Lokke9191; 14th August 2014 at 03:49 AM.) Reason: Added info
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by valueseeker77 View Post
Hi,

I broke the screen on my Nexus 5 while on a long holiday. I can still see about three quarters of the screen but the touch screen is basically busted, and as a result, I can't unlock the phone to get the data off. I backed up 90% of the photos via Dropbox but there is one week of photos I couldn't upload and there are also some really nice videos I'd like to get off.

Is there any way to sync to the file system without unlocking via the touchscreen? I don't think I have debugging disabled (I'm not particularly development savvy) so not sure what my options are...

I have a little time before I need to send the phone to LG for repair, so I'm willing to mess with this a bit and learn whatever I need to learn. I think I saw a thread somewhere detailing how it's down for the nexus 4 but not sure if it's applicable to the 5 as well...
I believe you can use fastboot to flash a custom recovery. Then use said recovery (twrp) to back up your data. Then copy that backup file to your computer. Actually I'd do a full nandroid backup.

You should ask in the nexus 5 forums as opposed to the general forums. The people in their are a special sort of geniuses.

droidagnostic
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Sorry to hear about your phone.

I think you should be able to access it using ADB commands

I f that doesn't work for you might try posting over on the Nexus 5 Forum

Hope that helps.