Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 40,467 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] google nexus 5 root

Tip us?
 
jaybyrd
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Default [Q] google nexus 5 root

so i had my google nexus 5 rooted and had the bootloader unlocked and then i did 2 system updates starting at 4.4.2 updated to 4.4.3 then updated to 4.4.4 and then my device lost root access. what is the easiest way to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 5 using windows 8 on android 4.4.4? all help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
 
dreamwave
Old
#2  
dreamwave's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 364
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybyrd View Post
so i had my google nexus 5 rooted and had the bootloader unlocked and then i did 2 system updates starting at 4.4.2 updated to 4.4.3 then updated to 4.4.4 and then my device lost root access. what is the easiest way to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 5 using windows 8 on android 4.4.4? all help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
the absolute easiest way is to just use adb with windows (make sure you don't have data on the phone you want to save as it will be deleted) turn the phone off then into download mode, type `fastboot oem unlock` then download a custom recovery for your phone, flash it however you seem fit, and install a custom rom from there. I tried going stock rooted once and that was the most painful experience as every update you lost root, even with the rootkeeper apps.
Flamers and Trolls may break my bones but thanks will always help me...

 
jaybyrd
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Default google nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwave View Post
the absolute easiest way is to just use adb with windows (make sure you don't have data on the phone you want to save as it will be deleted) turn the phone off then into download mode, type `fastboot oem unlock` then download a custom recovery for your phone, flash it however you seem fit, and install a custom rom from there. I tried going stock rooted once and that was the most painful experience as every update you lost root, even with the rootkeeper apps.
can you walk me thru it? step by step? this is confusing. i am new to this
 
Planterz
Old
#4  
Planterz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 185
Posts: 645
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybyrd View Post
can you walk me thru it? step by step?
Yeah.

1. Ignore the previous advice.
2. Download this.
3. Use it to lock/unlock your bootloader without PC and without losing data.

If you need to re-root, use Towelroot.
Relax, go nutz!
 
dreamwave
Old
#5  
dreamwave's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 364
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
Yeah.

1. Ignore the previous advice.
2. Download this.
3. Use it to lock/unlock your bootloader without PC and without losing data.

If you need to re-root, use Towelroot.
bootunlocker needs root access and as of 4.4.4 every exploit known has been patched...just saying
Flamers and Trolls may break my bones but thanks will always help me...

 
Planterz
Old
#6  
Planterz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 185
Posts: 645
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwave View Post
bootunlocker needs root access and as of 4.4.4 every exploit known has been patched...just saying
4.4.4 did not patch the Towelroot exploit.
Relax, go nutz!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more

And the Winners in the XDA Pebble Development Challenge Are…

Almost two months ago, we set out with Pebble to findthree amazing … more

MediaTek Releases Full Kernel Source for First Android One Devices

Those who might have thought that MediaTek wouldnever release working … more