Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,551 Members 37,674 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What to do about a slow SDcard affecting performance?

Tip us?
 
gromky
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 142
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zhejiang
Question [Q] What to do about a slow SDcard affecting performance?

I have just benchmarked my 8G removable storage card, and got only 1.31MB/s write speed. The two internal cards got 1.73MB/s and 1.47MB/s respectively. Is this slowing down my system? I often notice that Elixir's widget shows that the system is using the disk intensively (shortcut to top shows iowait above 50%). What can I do about this?
 
Paget96
Old
#2  
Paget96's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 145
Posts: 604
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Krusevac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post
I have just benchmarked my 8G removable storage card, and got only 1.31MB/s write speed. The two internal cards got 1.73MB/s and 1.47MB/s respectively. Is this slowing down my system? I often notice that Elixir's widget shows that the system is using the disk intensively (shortcut to top shows iowait above 50%). What can I do about this?
set cache
optimal set is 2048
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sdincrease.it
Dont forget to hit thanks

My threads:
[TWEAKS][build.prop] Performance/Battery for LG's
ALL ROMs FOR GALAXY ACE PLUS
[ROM]Pagebread v1.0 ROM (2.3.6)
✪✪Ace Plus Benchmark✪✪
My devices:
LG L7 P705 - CURRENT
Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 - SOLD
Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 - SOLD
 
gromky
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 142
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zhejiang
Last updated May 17, 2011...for Android 1.6 and up? I'm not sure this would really help. Setting the cache size would help to optimize for speed. It wouldn't help poor performance.
 
bweN diorD
Old
#4  
bweN diorD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 578
Posts: 1,385
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post
I have just benchmarked my 8G removable storage card, and got only 1.31MB/s write speed. The two internal cards got 1.73MB/s and 1.47MB/s respectively. Is this slowing down my system? I often notice that Elixir's widget shows that the system is using the disk intensively (shortcut to top shows iowait above 50%). What can I do about this?
i would buy a higher class card.
maybe my memory is off but that write speed seems really low, unless you have a class 2 card, then its still low.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

 
One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gromky
Old
(Last edited by gromky; 7th July 2014 at 08:19 AM.)
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 142
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zhejiang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
i would buy a higher class card.
maybe my memory is off but that write speed seems really low, unless you have a class 2 card, then its still low.
It's a Kingston 8Gb "MicroSD HC" SDC4. I don't know if it's class 2 or not.

Also, does it really make a difference? If the system is thrashing the disk, then all the usage should be in the two internal sdcards. Is that right?

What kind of card would be a good replacement?
 
bweN diorD
Old
#6  
bweN diorD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 578
Posts: 1,385
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post
It's a Kingston 8Gb "MicroSD HC" SDC4. I don't know if it's class 2 or not.

Also, does it really make a difference? If the system is thrashing the disk, then all the usage should be in the two internal sdcards. Is that right?

What kind of card would be a good replacement?
Its a class 4 which means the r/w speed should be higher than you are reporting. IMO either your phone can't support any higher speed or something is wrong with the card.
The class of the card does matter and can cause some operations to be slower in comparison to say a class 10 card.
I don't know why your phone is thrashing the card, unlikely normal, but it could be. Other possibilities are issues with the phone software, or issues with the card like partial corruption or bad sectors, even bad pics or vids can cause the system to scan the card too much.
Look in battery stats and see if the media scanner usage is high, this would indicate a corrupt file.
Alternatively, I would test the card for errors. Grab a card tester from Google search, put the card in your PC, copy the entire contents to your PC, run the test program. If no errors, put the card back into the phone and format, then copy back your files.
If errors, get a new card. I have always bought sandisk class 10 from an eBay reputable seller. Read up on the seller wherever you get it from so you don't get a fake card.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

 
One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gromky
Old
(Last edited by gromky; 7th July 2014 at 05:46 PM.)
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 142
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zhejiang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
Its a class 4 which means the r/w speed should be higher than you are reporting. IMO either your phone can't support any higher speed or something is wrong with the card.
The class of the card does matter and can cause some operations to be slower in comparison to say a class 10 card.
I don't know why your phone is thrashing the card, unlikely normal, but it could be. Other possibilities are issues with the phone software, or issues with the card like partial corruption or bad sectors, even bad pics or vids can cause the system to scan the card too much.
Look in battery stats and see if the media scanner usage is high, this would indicate a corrupt file.
Alternatively, I would test the card for errors. Grab a card tester from Google search, put the card in your PC, copy the entire contents to your PC, run the test program. If no errors, put the card back into the phone and format, then copy back your files.
If errors, get a new card. I have always bought sandisk class 10 from an eBay reputable seller. Read up on the seller wherever you get it from so you don't get a fake card.
Ah, so it shouldn't be this slow. Class 4 should be enough. The problem shouldn't be my phone, it's a Xiaomi Hongmi/Redmi and it was manufactured last year.

I've checked the battery usage and media scanner isn't listed. Do you know how I can figure out which program is thrashing the disk?

It's a microSD card so it won't go in the computer. I have a USB adapter somewhere, but those greatly slow performance.
 
bweN diorD
Old
#8  
bweN diorD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 578
Posts: 1,385
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post
Ah, so it shouldn't be this slow. Class 4 should be enough. The problem shouldn't be my phone, it's a Xiaomi Hongmi/Redmi and it was manufactured last year.

I've checked the battery usage and media scanner isn't listed. Do you know how I can figure out which program is thrashing the disk?

It's a microSD card so it won't go in the computer. I have a USB adapter somewhere, but those greatly slow performance.
Class 4 should be running at 4mb or better.
Sorry I don't know how to tell what is causing the excessive r/w on the card.
Most newer PC's have a SD card slot, you just need the adapter that frequently comes with the card.
The performance through USB isn't really relevant, that's not the purpose of connecting it to the PC. You want to check it for errors or damage. A slower connection method will just make the process take longer.
Just follow my previous post instructions and backup your files first. I think the checking program is going to format the card to run its tests, its been a long time since I used it, I don't remember exactly.
Later when I get home I can help you find a program if you haven't found a good one by then.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

 
One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bweN diorD
Old
#9  
bweN diorD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 578
Posts: 1,385
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromky View Post
Ah, so it shouldn't be this slow. Class 4 should be enough. The problem shouldn't be my phone, it's a Xiaomi Hongmi/Redmi and it was manufactured last year.

I've checked the battery usage and media scanner isn't listed. Do you know how I can figure out which program is thrashing the disk?

It's a microSD card so it won't go in the computer. I have a USB adapter somewhere, but those greatly slow performance.
ok, this is what i used last time http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...erfeit-drives/
there is a "direct" download link a little down the page.
the tool was made for checking for fake cards, but if you give it a quick read, you will see its going to check for errors, report the condition of the card, and more.

hope that helps.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

 
One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here

The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes