Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Installed ROM without installing custom recovery

Tip us?
 
Slovedon
Old
(Last edited by Slovedon; 15th August 2014 at 06:55 PM.)
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 31
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Installed ROM without installing custom recovery

Yeah, that was stupid, but where do I go from here? I have a VZW Note 3 and I installed AllianceROM (in the "stock" slot of SafeStrap, after rooting with Towel Root and installing SafeStrap). It was a new (replacement/warranty) Note 3 with 4.4.2 (NC4). When I try to boot, it goes through the normal safestrap boot process, but once it's past that splash screen where you choose to go into SafeStrap or continue booting, it goes to a black screen.

Or does SafeStrap count as a "custom recovery"? In that case, I have no idea what I did wrong. This is the first time I've had issues with custom ROMs after going through a Note 1 and 2, so I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this.
 
jahanzaib khan
Old
#2  
jahanzaib khan's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lahore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovedon View Post
Yeah, that was stupid, but where do I go from here? I have a VZW Note 3 and I installed AllianceROM (in the "stock" slot of SafeStrap, after rooting with Towel Root and installing SafeStrap). It was a new (replacement/warranty) Note 3 with 4.4.2 (NC4). When I try to boot, it goes through the normal safestrap boot process, but once it's past that splash screen where you choose to go into SafeStrap or continue booting, it goes to a black screen.

Or does SafeStrap count as a "custom recovery"? In that case, I have no idea what I did wrong. This is the first time I've had issues with custom ROMs after going through a Note 1 and 2, so I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this.
start from scratch. reinstall a stock rom first. then do try what ever customizations you want
 
Slovedon
Old
(Last edited by Slovedon; 15th August 2014 at 10:30 PM.)
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 31
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahanzaib khan View Post
start from scratch. reinstall a stock rom first. then do try what ever customizations you want
So I just install the stock rom to the "stock" slot on safestrap? Does it need to be the official Verizon stock rom, or can it be just a very basic stock rom from the XDA android development forum?''

Is this an okay ROM to install?
 
jahanzaib khan
Old
#4  
jahanzaib khan's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lahore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovedon View Post
So I just install the stock rom to the "stock" slot on safestrap? Does it need to be the official Verizon stock rom, or can it be just a very basic stock rom from the XDA android development forum?
no no restoring the stock rom will remove the safestrap. you might install it again later on.
it is better to have a stock verizon rom if u are carrier locked. if u are unlocked then flash any stock rom you have. It is a download mode device right? means it has download mode?
if that safestrap thing came with your device that is when it was totally stock then yes install stock rom in Stock slot.
 
Slovedon
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 31
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahanzaib khan View Post
no no restoring the stock rom will remove the safestrap. you might install it again later on.
it is better to have a stock verizon rom if u are carrier locked. if u are unlocked then flash any stock rom you have. It is a download mode device right? means it has download mode?
if that safestrap thing came with your device that is when it was totally stock then yes install stock rom in Stock slot.
Ah okay I understand now. Yes, it is a download mode device. Where can I find the stock ROM, and how do I install it?
 
jahanzaib khan
Old
#6  
jahanzaib khan's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lahore
Sent from my Xperia SP using XDA Free mobile app

Google it or find your device on xda and look for threads named stock ROMs. Stock firmware. Anything like that. I'm away from my laptop so currently I cant do that for you. Maybe you wait till morning it's 3 30 am here
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more

Play Music on Android Wear with Stellio Music Player

Android Wear smartwatchesare growing inpopularity every day. Some devices have already … more

Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more