5,814,863 Members 49,181 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Network unlocking is now legal ?

Tip us?

wanthelp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Service [Q] Network unlocking is now legal ?

Hello i came across this article :
h t t p : / /
lifehacker.com/you-can-now-legally-unlock-your-cellphone-heres-what-i-

sorry i'm not allowed to put external links yet but this is the only way, just put it all together without spaces
and it says that now network unlocking a phone is LEGAL
for some reason it was illegal before and i made a topic asking for help to unlock SE X8 on this forum and it was deleted because its against xda rules, which in this case xda is against "illegal" things

So can anyone confirm this information and tell me if its actually legal now or it still isn't ?

thanks

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanthelp View Post
Hello i came across this article :
h t t p : / /
lifehacker.com/you-can-now-legally-unlock-your-cellphone-heres-what-i-

sorry i'm not allowed to put external links yet but this is the only way, just put it all together without spaces
and it says that now network unlocking a phone is LEGAL
for some reason it was illegal before and i made a topic asking for help to unlock SE X8 on this forum and it was deleted because its against xda rules, which in this case xda is against "illegal" things

So can anyone confirm this information and tell me if its actually legal now or it still isn't ?

thanks
President Obama signed it into law. In 2012 it was made illegal because they didn't renew an exemption in the DMCA, basically saying that unlocking a phone was a violation of copyright owned by the carrier that implemented the code to make it locked to their network. While the exemption was in effect, the law said basically "cell phone unlocking doesn't count" as breaking digital media copyright.

Of course, your phone still has to be compatible on the network you plan on bringing it to.
Relax, go nutz!

wanthelp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
President Obama signed it into law. In 2012 it was made illegal because they didn't renew an exemption in the DMCA, basically saying that unlocking a phone was a violation of copyright owned by the carrier that implemented the code to make it locked to their network. While the exemption was in effect, the law said basically "cell phone unlocking doesn't count" as breaking digital media copyright.

Of course, your phone still has to be compatible on the network you plan on bringing it to.

so network unlocking is legal or not ?

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanthelp View Post
so network unlocking is legal or not ?
President Obama signed it into law. What do you think that means? That flaming hot Cheetos are pink elephants' favorite food? That Iron Maiden is releasing a country album? That Michael Bay is the greatest filmmaker of all time?

Yes, it's now legal!
Relax, go nutz!

wanthelp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
President Obama signed it into law. What do you think that means? That flaming hot Cheetos are pink elephants' favorite food? That Iron Maiden is releasing a country album? That Michael Bay is the greatest filmmaker of all time?

Yes, it's now legal!
well the fact that it's now legal i knew already
i asked for the confirmation rather that topic was truthful or not
i can myself create a forum or site and say many things even know their not true

so basically now that its legal i can post here on xda asking for help to network unlock my phones ?

D@re D\/!
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Reply directly

man why don't u just tell that u have a locked phone n u want to unlock it.
give your device name, model, country, android version.

wanthelp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by D@re D\/! View Post
man why don't u just tell that u have a locked phone n u want to unlock it.
give your device name, model, country, android version.

i created 2 topics saying i spent all day searching how to network unlock my SE w595i and SE XPERIA X8 and didn't found anything for free
and those topics were deleted cuz network unlocking for some reason is illegal
now its not how do i unlock them ?

wanthelp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
so nobody can help me with network unlocking my sony's ?