[Q] NOOB: Can ClockworkMod be installed externally via USB?

OP jonnymopar

5th July 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to this, so apologies if this all sounds ridiculous.

I have a 7" Allwinner A10 no-name tablet. ClockworkMod recognized it as "Mediacom 907c" so maybe that's somewhere to start. I am trying to load CyanogenMod on it because the firmware that came with it is awful. Being a noob, of course I did something stupid. I tried to load CM10 without loading CM9 first and I messed it up a bit. When I rebooted after loading, all I got was a black screen.

Even more stupid, I didn't back up the original firmware. After working on it today, I'm finding it pretty impossible to find the original firmware.

Thankfully, I was able to use PhoenixSuit to at least get some sort of firmware back into it. The closest image I could find would get me past the first couple of title screens, then go to a black screen and that's it. It does show up in Windows as two empty drives.

However, even with the wrong firmware, using the PWR + VOL UP trick, I can still get to the point where there's a picture of a droid with a red triangle over it. (sorry, tried to post a picture of it, but I don't have enough posts to use outside links yet). This is the screen that I would get before I originally loaded ClockworkMod recovery 6. So it looks like I can get to the right place in order to use ClockworkMod recovery, but I can't load it the same way as before since the tablet will not fully boot normally. Is there any other way to load the recovery without using a file manager on the actual tablet? I have three PCs available running Windows XP, Windows 7 x64, and Ubuntu 13.10 x86.

Help an idiot noob out!
9th July 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Now that I'm thinking about it, is there any way I could install it using PhoenixSuit? I've had no problem loading firmware over and over again using that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread