FORUMS

[Q] Please explain this rule

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I find it funny that everyone on the XDA forums say that changing the IMEI is illegal, though they never are able to cite a law stating it is illegal to do so, just a bill. or a thread of people saying its illegal And if you do some digging you find out that it is in fact NOT illegal to change it and that no law has ever been passed pertaining to it. Then when users on here have explained why its illegal all they have said is that is illegal because you could use it to clone the IMEI of another device and essentially clone that device. But the law to stop cell phone fraud only pertains to the ESN and not the IMEI. So could someone please explain why XDA has decided to make it illegal to discuss changing the IMEI just because it *could* be used for malicious reasons, but when many people want to use it for benevolent reasons. Also XDA makes discussion of how to change it, but allows discussions of other illegal topics on their forums?

-This thread was not posted to discuss how to change IMEI, just to get more info-

Today, 09:18 AM |#2  
Flag Noida
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Changing IMEI is illegal in some countries, there are more than 200 countries in this world
Today, 06:31 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyaginator

Changing IMEI is illegal in some countries, there are more than 200 countries in this world

I know that in some countries it is illegal, I meant in the USA, I forgot to mention that in the OP.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread