Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Tricked into buying an 'official' modified phone?

OP IcY~

20th September 2014, 08:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

15 posts
Can anyone help me? I have an ASUS Zenfone 6, I checked my device settings and everything from the 'about' menu at settings and it says I have a 1.16 WW firmware. When I downloaded the newest 1.18 WW firmware from support.asus.com and tried to flash it says:

Device image SKU: CUCC
OTA image SKU: WW
And the update fails

I am honestly confused to what's going on here. I thought I have WW with gapps and everything working but suddenly when I try to update I have CUCC? Oh and what's weird is that when I just got the phone SuperSU was synced from my previous phone and I just wanted to check out what happens if I open SuperSU without rooting but when SuperSU opened it asks me whether I want to update the binary normally or from CWM/TWRP! This mind you only happens if you had rooted the phone and ran SuperSU for the first time, surprisingly according to root checker I have root! JUST BY INSTALLING SUPERSU! So I was wondering if my phone was tampered before I bought it? I legally bought it new from a nearby mall with it still complete with the packaging and warranty card, so I'm really confused to what is going on.

Can anyone please please help me, do anyone else who has the WW firmware has anything like this happen when you want to flash the firmware update? I tried to force the firmware update using fastboot, nothing changed, but now my phone won't detect my SD Card and every time I open settings the phone would restart. The only way I can think of to fix this is by flashing a fresh ROM but so far I cannot find a link that has Zenfone 6 stock ROM, only the firmware. I've thought of returning the phone with the reason that I got tricked into buying a CUCC Zenfone instead of the WW that is sold on my region.

Note: I bought the phone in Indonesia and basically there are 2 warranty. One from the official ASUS and another from 'distributor', because the distributor is cheaper I bought that one thinking I'm only having a different warranty and a lack of support from ASUS officials but is it possible this distributor actually sell a modified CUCC SKU that is changed to WW? I've seen some articles/video to switch from TW/CN to WW and it kind of raised my suspicion.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread