Ask a question

No registration required

Phone [Q] Star S4 FHD IPS

OP drugo84

12th May 2013, 08:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Star S4 Smartphone 5.0 Inch FHD IPS Screen Android 4.2 MTK6589 Quad Core 1G 8G 12.0MP

Has anyone purchased this phone?

Can you tell me how it works?

do not confuse with the star s5 N9500

and video
youtu.be/aZeF2O2ubM8
24th May 2013, 02:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

187 posts
Just bought one from HK. Quality is not too bad for what you pay for. Came from a nexus s, so speed is definitely good. Not much lag. OS is almost stock with some essential mods which is cool. All china apps can be removed. Still trying out the battery.... it's okay, but could be better I believe.

Wifi is **** though. My 3 year old Nexus S wifi speed is 4 times faster if it's not next to the router.... something wrong with either radio or the engineering.... 3g is pretty darn fast.
24th May 2013, 02:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssphysicsboi

Just bought one from HK. Quality is not too bad for what you pay for. Came from a nexus s, so speed is definitely good. Not much lag. OS is almost stock with some essential mods which is cool. All china apps can be removed. Still trying out the battery.... it's okay, but could be better I believe.

Wifi is **** though. My 3 year old Nexus S wifi speed is 4 times faster if it's not next to the router.... something wrong with either radio or the engineering.... 3g is pretty darn fast.

I also noticed that the wifi if you are not very close to the router does not work well.
Do you think you can improve with modding?
If you have additional information to improve the device please tell me.
hello
24th May 2013, 04:30 PM   |  #4  

187 posts
How long does your battery last? I found that the kernel isn't very good and that it seems to be eating quite a bit of power.... At least that's what android and battery indicator apps are telling me.

I haven't done much modding since I'm not that pro yet. This is completely different than a nexus... I'm rooted, but I'm do scared to even install twrp or cwm. Have you done it?

Rooting the phone was a very simple task just a click of a button.

Sent from my S4 using xda premium
25th May 2013, 01:23 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
the battery is giving me many problems _ I also think there is some problem nell'indicattore or in the kernel.
It lasts up to 10 hours (usually using it) but the sudden falls of up to 20% which makes it difficult to predict how current direrÓ and then the system unstable.
I'm not an experienced user q do not know the root await instructions from someone willing to take enlighten us.
Hello
25th May 2013, 05:17 PM   |  #6  

187 posts
I had problems with one of my batteries. I have changed to the second battery and the battery life was actually quite good.... Was able to last 30 or so hours with sleeping of course. But I had wifi running during sleep. I believe it's quite okay as long as the battery isn't defective.

8th June 2013, 09:51 AM   |  #7  

187 posts
I have finally found out what is saying that the kernel is using a lot of the battery. Try disabling the auto brightness from settings and you'll realize that the kernel will no longer be using a high amount of battery anymore. I believe star has made the refresh rate way too high, thus the major drainage comes from the sensor always bring active changing the brightness of the screen.

This has a lot got rid of the problem of the flickering screen when using SwiftKey for typing.

In terms of wifi, it's still pretty slow unless really close to be router.

5th July 2013, 07:17 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
[QUOTE=tssphysicsboi;42339864In terms of wifi, it's still pretty slow unless really close to be router.

Sent from my S4 using xda premium[/QUOTE]

I noticed the problem too, maybe it is because there is no nvs_map.bin file in the /system/etc/wifi/

There should be written calibration of the wi-fi as well as MAC address.

Does anyone have this file on the phone somewhere. The phone should be rooted, so you can be able to search whole memory.

Because I'm new user I can't post outside link but you can search Google "NVS_Map Creation *AKA How I fixed my wifi/MAC issues"

Does anyone noticed that Wi-Fi MAC address is changed every time you switch on/off wi-fi?

For rooting the phone you can search YouTube "STAR X920 ONE CLICK ROOT OR ANY MTK6589 DEVICE!"

It is very easy.
Last edited by integralac; 5th July 2013 at 07:21 PM.
9th July 2013, 07:18 AM   |  #9  

187 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by integralac

I noticed the problem too, maybe it is because there is no nvs_map.bin file in the /system/etc/wifi/

There should be written calibration of the wi-fi as well as MAC address.

Does anyone have this file on the phone somewhere. The phone should be rooted, so you can be able to search whole memory.

Because I'm new user I can't post outside link but you can search Google "NVS_Map Creation *AKA How I fixed my wifi/MAC issues"

Does anyone noticed that Wi-Fi MAC address is changed every time you switch on/off wi-fi?

For rooting the phone you can search YouTube "STAR X920 ONE CLICK ROOT OR ANY MTK6589 DEVICE!"

It is very easy.

Hi Integralac,

did : http://rootzwiki.com/topic/5650-wip-...ifimac-issues/

Just tried it out, but I am having problem even typing in the first command...

" wlan_cu -itiwlan0 -b"

the error says that wlan_cu not found... any help?
actually fix the problem for you? My phone is rooted already so I think I'll give it a try....

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

For those of you with a battery issue with this phone (suddenly falling after ~ 40%) there is an app that will help with that. Yes, I've tried calibrating and all, but never works. After installing this app, it has seemed to fix the problem. It'll also help save a bit of juice. Give it a try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...RvY3Rvcl9lbiJd
Last edited by tssphysicsboi; 9th July 2013 at 06:59 AM.
10th July 2013, 11:01 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
The problem is that there is now such file on the phone (wlan_cu). I was downloaded several files wlan_cu from the internet and there are differences in size. You can see here: ####dl. dro pbo xu serc onte nt . c om /u/788157 /wlan_cu.zip
Just retype #### with ht tp s:// *without spaces (stupid forum rules)

But when I tried to do step one I received some errors that I'm missing some more files (libraries) and it was dead end for me.
I didn't typed in these commands in the phone directly. I started ssh server on the phone and I tries everything through PC ssh client.

Anyway, I think that I have 3 issues on the phone.

1. uncalibrated wi-fi with constantly MAC address changing upon reboot-on/off swich
2. my Bluetooth does not remember the pear devices upon reboot-on/off swich
3. wrong battery mesuring

All in all I think that ROM which is currently in my phone is bad. My data is:
Android version: 4.2.1
Baseband version: MOLY.WR8.W1248.MD.WG.MP.V7.P1, 2013/04/10 00:41
Build number: S4 20130428-12004
What is your data?

I think that this phone is generic device which use several sellers. I find out some more names:
1. Pulid F13
2. (Star S4), sku46020.

#####pan dawillforu m . c om /sh owthrea d. p hp ?20208-Star-S4- Firmware

Just retype #### with ht tp :// and add w w w *without spaces (stupid forum rules)

Maybe they will publish new one. I don't know does "Wireless Update" feature works at all in About phone section of the phone menu.

I was just downloaded that one on the forum. But when I was enter in recovery mode everything is on Chinese.
I need to ask on the forum that CarriePW guy how I can change it to English.

If you look on: ####alie xpre ss . c om/i tem/ Free-Shi pping- 5-0-in ch-And roid-4-2-MTK 6589-Pu lid-F13-Sm art-Phone-WCDMA-3G-1GB/1022519250 . ht ml you will find out that on the screen shots it is ROM 20130606 from June?!?!?!?
Just retype #### with ht tp :// and add w w w *without spaces (stupid forum rules)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread