Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 53,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AOSP/CM building PC upgrade

Tip us?

Kryten2k35
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 11,132

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] AOSP/CM building PC upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. I play videogames (seemingly on the odd occasion these days) and develop on Linux for various programming languages (University work - also probably some Windows too if I have to). I'm wondering if my current build can be feasibly upgraded to lower build times with AOSP.

My current PC

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz
12GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

The Ubuntu root is installed on an SSD, but the home folder is installed on a mechanical HDD. The SSD is only 128GB so not enough for compiler cache (ccache) as well as the AOSP/CM source (I have both). I've been considering an upgrade to and Intel i5-4690k under the illusion it would help me lower the build time. This new CPU would necessitate a new motherboard, and I'd probably get one of the new Z97 boards with am M.2 slot, and then grab a 256GB M.2 SSD. At this point I could have the source on an ssd and perhaps speed up compiling...

Or would it? I mean, would I get maybe ten minutes off my compile time, or would the benefits be significantly greater? If it's only ten minutes, I may just not bother.

KkdGab
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten2k35 View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my PC. I play videogames (seemingly on the odd occasion these days) and develop on Linux for various programming languages (University work - also probably some Windows too if I have to). I'm wondering if my current build can be feasibly upgraded to lower build times with AOSP.

My current PC

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz
12GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

The Ubuntu root is installed on an SSD, but the home folder is installed on a mechanical HDD. The SSD is only 128GB so not enough for compiler cache (ccache) as well as the AOSP/CM source (I have both). I've been considering an upgrade to and Intel i5-4690k under the illusion it would help me lower the build time. This new CPU would necessitate a new motherboard, and I'd probably get one of the new Z97 boards with am M.2 slot, and then grab a 256GB M.2 SSD. At this point I could have the source on an ssd and perhaps speed up compiling...

Or would it? I mean, would I get maybe ten minutes off my compile time, or would the benefits be significantly greater? If it's only ten minutes, I may just not bother.
The motherboard will definitely speed up the compiling, assuming that u already have the source downloaded, you might as well do it. But I have compared those to boards and it appears to be quite faster. So if i were u, go for it.
Part of my sig is blurred, it was intentional

"What would be the purpose of fishing for thanks? Having one thank you as opposed to 10,000 makes no difference does it? It's just an ego thing I suppose. I don't and have never focused on someone's thank meter to judge their expertise and knowledge." - edfunkycold
My Device

Huawei Ascend Y210-0100
ROM:ics rom v1 by A&A
CWM 5.0.2.8
ALWAYS use Quote me or use @KkdGab if you want your reply to be heard