Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,238 Members 48,579 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I Screwed Something Up

Tip us?

amshook
Old
(Last edited by amshook; 28th July 2014 at 06:56 AM.) Reason: updated info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] I Screwed Something Up

A friend of mine had a Galaxy S3 Amber with a broken (and blank) screen and wanted her data from it's internal memory that is locked and not in debugged mode. I did a lot of research and found the best, most efficient way was to do a motherboard swap with another gs3. I had a Galaxy S3 Blue. I watched a couple of videos and it seemed rather easy. I gathered the proper tools and was EXTREMELY careful not to break or rip anything (and to my knowledge i did not). When i put her motherboard from the amber one into the blue one and the screen would not come on. My first thoughts were it must be her motherboard that went bad. Well when i went to put my blue gs3 back together (again being very careful this entire time) I'm now having the same issue as she was. Black screen, no back light. The bottom lights DO come on and i feel it vibrate when i get a message. There was also no power on chime...

I know its hard to tell with out looking but any ideas on what could be wrong or what i might have screwed up? i checked all the connections and everything looks perfect. Nothing is bent or connected wrong and I didn't force or break anything.

update: so i found that the touch part of it still works fine. i can hear the ripple unlock as well as all the other sounds and such when i touch around and i can here it opening apps. the only issue lies in the screen itself being blank with no back light what so ever,

TechMinerUK
Old
Thanks Meter 42
First of all remove the battery and attempt to power on, then leave without battery for 1 min, I know this sounds silly but it worked on an old iPhone 3G so anythings worth a shot.

If that doesn't work go back into the S3 and make sure all the data clips are firmly in place and locked down but not twisted in anyway. Also make sure their is no moisture or dust on the ribbons. You may not realise it but even the smallest imperfection with this can cause massive issues down the line.

If all else fails her phone may have broke your screen, I don't know how but it is a possibility

Hope I could help and good luck

ROM: Stock
Kernel: Stock Kernel

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, at XDA the devs are the main chain and our phones are the weak links"
The Following User Says Thank You to TechMinerUK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amshook
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMinerUK View Post
First of all remove the battery and attempt to power on, then leave without battery for 1 min, I know this sounds silly but it worked on an old iPhone 3G so anythings worth a shot.

If that doesn't work go back into the S3 and make sure all the data clips are firmly in place and locked down but not twisted in anyway. Also make sure their is no moisture or dust on the ribbons. You may not realise it but even the smallest imperfection with this can cause massive issues down the line.

If all else fails her phone may have broke your screen, I don't know how but it is a possibility

Hope I could help and good luck
so i took it apart again today to double check and clean everything and under inspection i noticed a teeny tiny slit on the edge of the lower, bigger ribbon. i know the smallest bit could be horrid. Any fix and would that cause just the screen to not show? i don't know if that is the led connection but i think it may be.

TechMinerUK
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by amshook View Post
so i took it apart again today to double check and clean everything and under inspection i noticed a teeny tiny slit on the edge of the lower, bigger ribbon. i know the smallest bit could be horrid. Any fix and would that cause just the screen to not show? i don't know if that is the led connection but i think it may be.
If theirs a slit I'm affraid that could be it for the screen, like I said even the smallest imperfection can cause massive issues. The slit is probably in the one of the data sections of the ribbon cable which is why data for the screen isn't being carried.

For the fix I don't think their is one unless you can fit a new ribbon on to yout S3's screen

Sorry about the screen

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, at XDA the devs are the main chain and our phones are the weak links"
The Following User Says Thank You to TechMinerUK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amshook
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So I took it all apart again. Cleaned ever little thing I could and now it works again. 😄

TechMinerUK
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
So I took it all apart again. Cleaned ever little thing I could and now it works again. 😄
Excellent, must have just had some dust or gunk on the cable

Glad you got it working again

amshook
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMinerUK View Post
Excellent, must have just had some dust or gunk on the cable

Glad you got it working again
As am I. Thanks alot for helping. I appreciate it. id buy you a beer if I could lol.

TechMinerUK
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
As am I. Thanks alot for helping. I appreciate it. id buy you a beer if I could lol.
No problem, thats what XDA is here for