Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange inaccurate recordings in location history

Tip us?

Tho-D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
So "format /data" is basically the same that's done when doing "factory reset/wipe data".

There's some other "format ..." options there but no "format/media".

Anyway, I formated everything on there, incl. "format /system"! So I had almost no other choice than installing stock Samsung ROM again. Will report how the device behaves. First minutes are quite fine... Besides: the Samsung software (mostly TouchWiz) is ****!

So, when everything's fine I'll root the device and install Paranoid again...

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tho-D View Post
So "format /data" is basically the same that's done when doing "factory reset/wipe data".

There's some other "format ..." options there but no "format/media".

Anyway, I formated everything on there, incl. "format /system"! So I had almost no other choice than installing stock Samsung ROM again. Will report how the device behaves. First minutes are quite fine... Besides: the Samsung software (mostly TouchWiz) is ****!

So, when everything's fine I'll root the device and install Paranoid again...
here is an explanation of data/media i found.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tho-D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Info 2 Oh no!!

I ran stock Samsung ROM for 1 1/2 days and didn't have a single wrong location!
Today I rooted the device again and installed Paranoid 4.42 again. Wrong locations allover!!

So, other than expected this IS a ROM-related issue!!
Or... It has something to do with changes in KitKat 4.4.4 plus Google Search or Google Services or whatever.

Hopefully it is only this Version and will not persist!!

Tho-D
Old
(Last edited by Tho-D; 16th July 2014 at 09:50 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
OK, what do we already know?
  • I have the problem for some 8 to 10 days now. Never had it before, only have it on one device.
  • Maybe a coincidence but this behavior started on a day where my phone crashed and I had to reset.
  • I made a clean new re-install of the PA 4.4 and recently received the update to PA 4.42. There are no changes in the behavior.
  • It is only my phone (running ParanoidAndroid based on KitKat 4.4.4), my tablet (Nexus 10 running stock KitKat 4.4.4) does not have this problem (so it's no wifi relocation because of moving or such general problem).
  • I have the problem with more than one wifi! Have already seen these false locations when connected to the home and when connected to the work network. Problems with both networks started the same day...
  • Wrong locations are constantly there when my phone is connected to a wifi.
  • It's not always the same location, sometimes I get different readings, but it's 90% a position ~430m west of my home.
  • The correct locations have high accuracy (a few meters), the wrong locations have very low accuracy (~1000m or even more).
  • When I start Google Maps (i.e. probably when the phone uses gps) I can see my position moving towards the correct location.
  • When I switch off wifi or when leave wifi on but disconnect my phone from the network, then I get the correct location constantly.
  • Roughly every 1 to 3 hours there is one correct location within the list of false locations.
  • I tried virtually every combination of settings, "high accuracy" and "battery saving" for the location service, "no mock locations" in the advanced developers settings, "use wifi for location detection although wifi is switched off" in the wifi settings, ...
My prime suspect is the Google Services Update!

We can rule out old data / corrupted files because I did a "format /system". Once after the new installation it took about an hour for the wrong locations to start, which is why I suspected some recovery of files. Today it took only minutes, basically the locations were wrong from the beginning. Today the difference is that I was asked for the Google Services update first, before the recovery of all my other apps and settings started.

Google Now (which means Google Search?) requires this update...

I cannot uninstall updates of this apk so I cannot try this one.

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
the only way to rule out the rom's is to return to stock and check it there.
its not uncommon to have similar issues across multiple rom's.
im not saying you are wrong, changing from one rom to another is just not a good way to check an issue.
Quote:
I ran stock Samsung ROM for 1 1/2 days and didn't have a single wrong location!
Today I rooted the device again and installed Paranoid 4.42 again. Wrong locations allover!!

So, other than expected this IS a ROM-related issue!!
Or... It has something to do with changes in KitKat 4.4.4 plus Google Search or Google Services or whatever.

Hopefully it is only this Version and will not persist!!
hmmm somebody was dead on this issue lol

as for the google services update thing you mentioned, i get that pretty frequently flashing roms.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here

Tho-D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
hmmm somebody was dead on this issue lol

as for the google services update thing you mentioned, i get that pretty frequently flashing roms.
Yes, and that update is required. Some apps do not work without: I think it was Now, Hangouts and probably some more... updated to 4.43 today: no changes.

Maybe it's something in combination of KitKat 4.4.4 and the device. I think (and this is only a guess) it is not related to Paranoid Android itself. To prove that I asked a colleague who also has the S2 and is running CM11. Hopefully he can check this issue...

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 571
Quote:
Yes, and that update is required. Some apps do not work without: I think it was Now, Hangouts and probably some more... updated to 4.43 today: no changes.

Maybe it's something in combination of KitKat 4.4.4 and the device. I think (and this is only a guess) it is not related to Paranoid Android itself. To prove that I asked a colleague who also has the S2 and is running CM11. Hopefully he can check this issue...
I still say it is the ROMs.
The problem may or may not persist through your friends phone. It really proves nothing, as it is a different phone with different coding.
There are too many variables to explain why this is true, but generally, each device will have its own issues that don't occur on other devices, and some issues will persist across all devices until a fix is pushed into the base code.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tho-D
Old
(Last edited by Tho-D; 17th July 2014 at 09:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Thank you for sticking with me in all this!

I think I tried everything I could. The Samsung stock ROM ist not an option and Paranoid Android is the best custom ROM - at least to what I am looking for and what I've tried so far.

So I'll stick with this issue now and stop testing around...

Edit:
One tweak that allows at least the location history to interpret being home correctly is the WiFi option "let WiFi active in quiet mode". I switched this option from "always" to "never". So now I am only connected when active and automatically disconnect when not using the phone - which means during that inactive time the location is correct...
The Following User Says Thank You to Tho-D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 571
Quote:
Thank you for sticking with me in all this!

I think I tried everything I could. The Samsung stock ROM ist not an option and Paranoid Android is the best custom ROM - at least to what I am looking for and what I've tried so far.

So I'll stick with this issue now and stop testing around...

Edit:
One tweak that allows at least the location history to interpret being home correctly is the WiFi option "let WiFi active in quiet mode". I switched this option from "always" to "never". So now I am only connected when active and automatically disconnect when not using the phone - which means during that inactive time the location is correct...
no problem, happy to help

if you need me in the future, mention or quote me so i dont miss your post.

thanks