[Q] Terrible SOT on all devices. Why?

OP DerGraf1997

5th August 2014, 11:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

81 posts
More
Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a while now and I don't know how this should go on. Before I start, I apologize for bad wording or grammar, as german is my primary language.

I run Android since 3 years now and the problems began to evolve over the last one and a half years. I have it on my two latest devices, my international Samsung Galaxy S2 and my international HTC One X.

On my Galaxy S2, I noticed battery life getting worse and worse. I have my devices usually set up this way:
- All location services permanently turned off unless I need GPS
- Wifi only at home when I need it
- 3G always on
- Brightness about 50%

On my Galaxy S2, I got 2 hours of screen on time regularily. No matter what ROM I was using, if it was stock, CM, or anything else. I thought, maybe I just need a replacement battery. Bought one, changed nothing.

Jumping to my One X. I have set is up similarily to my GS2, running CM11 M8 atm (gonna flash M9 later, to see if it changes anything). It started out the same. I replaced the battery on this one, too, even with a larger one (One X+ battery, 2100 mAh) I only get little over 2 hours of screen on time. I've uploaded some screenshots for you.

Further investigation showed me, that there were no wakelocks draining me, CPU going to deep sleep correctly, no problem. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or at least that that is normal?! My dad gets days out of his battery, his Galaxy S3 LTE going strong on 40% left after 3 days with 2h 30m screen on. The One V of my mom lasts about a week. A friend of mine has a Galaxy S2 plus (she's a noob in android), wifi always on, location services always on, about 200 apps installed, this thing is slow as hell and it lags itself to death, but she has 10% left after a bit over one day with 3h 40m screen on time. And here I am, not even making it to dinner without giving my phone a good charge up. Right now, 2h 35m into battle, 7m 1s screen on and 94% left. Battery widget reborn says, I lose 1% after 9 minutes on average.

Can this somehow be in connection to my google account? I have trouble explaining it to myself.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-14-00-51-01.png
Views:	31
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	2884753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-14-00-51-05.png
Views:	28
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	2884754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-08-11-41-50.png
Views:	28
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2884755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-08-11-41-55.png
Views:	27
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2884756  
5th August 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

83 posts
This seems a bit strange. Download Greenify to hibernate any apps you don't use regularly. AOSP and CM based ROMs seem to have more problems with battery life so maybe stick with stock Roms for now. Also if you have a lot of bloatware this can cause battery to drain. Search online for safe system apps to freeze/uninstall on your phones..you can do this via titanium backup

Sent from a "Galaxy" far, far away with my Ultra Ray Gun
5th August 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

81 posts
More
I'm already using Greenify. For now, I flashed a stock based ROM again, I modified it with root uninstaller to remove carrier branding and useless apps. Gonna look at the battery life now, I will give updates.
5th August 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 12

83 posts
Leaving 3G on always could also contribute to battery drain as this allows apps to sync their data periodically which further drains battery. So my advice is just 1.greenify 2.freeze/uninstall system apps you don't use.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Oh sorry I didn't see your reply and okay we'll see how that goes. You could also try battery calibration, though I think its a bit gimmicky but people often say it brings improvements. And here's a tip that most people don't know but charging your phone throughout overnight can damage the battery and reduce battery life/capacity. Go here for more info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2237679

Last edited by Pulseuser; 5th August 2014 at 06:56 PM.
31st August 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

81 posts
More
Hi again,

I've tried out the rooted stock rom for several weeks now. It works fine, battery life is ok. I also noticed that uninstalling the Instagram app nearly tripled my battery life, regardless of it being greenified.

Thanks for your help, my phone is running fine again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread