Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 41,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Galaxy Avant

Tip us?

spaniolo
Old
(Last edited by spaniolo; 12th August 2014 at 04:56 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default New Galaxy Avant

I got the galaxy Avant two days ago from Tmobile.So far I am very happy and impressed, I compared the screen with the S5 side by side, the Z1s, the HTC one M8, the I phone 5s and the LG G2 and I must say that for not being HD it is impressive. at full brightness both the s5 and the Avant with the exact same web page open both screens displayed the exact same content even though the Avant fonts were a bit smaller, however the background white was whiter on the Avant and a bit more yellowish on the S5, then all other phones I compared had whiter whites in the background but the content was very different some showing more and some showing less content ( I can recall which is which.. sorry).

Please share your reviews on the new phone, I think it has impressive specs for a mid range at such a low price. I got mine from T carrier at only $120 with their summer special. With 1.5 Ram, 1.2 quad-core snapdragon 400, 16 GB internal memory plus external micro Sd for up to 64 additional Gb, kit kat 4.4.2 right off the bat plus an unlock app,and full 4G LTE capability this phone has potential for some major development. the camera even only a 5 megapixel takes very decent photos and has nice features like panoramic, shot and sound, sport mode, and a couple more..

By the way... Does anyone know how to root the new Galaxy Avant?

So.. let's talk about this phone and see how good it is and how much better it can become. Thanks.
Phones:
Samsung Galaxy Avant SM-G386T
ROM: stock Kit Kat 4.4.2 unrooted.
Carrier T-Mobile

Samsung Galaxy SII - Hercules - SGH-T989
Sim card reader failed..
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.0.0
ROM: Hackingwiz Rom
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Samsung Galaxy S4 active unlocked. (SGH-i537)
LCD screen dying...
ROM: stock MF3, rooted.
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to spaniolo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

allroy1975
Old
Thanks Meter 46
I picked one up for my daughter without much thought. I can't imagine buying a phone that doesn't have expandable storage or replacabe battery. She's really happy with it, coming from a hand-me-down iPhone 4and has already had fun laughing at small iPhone screens with me.

It's got a good enough proc and memory to run touchwiz I guess, but I'd LOVE to run some AOSP on the for her so she can see what android is really about.

So far I'm excited and happy I bought her this phone and would love to see it get some attention on xda.

Cobra11Murderer
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Just ordered a few mins ago, I'm on tmo prepaid so no discount.. How ever ordered it threw best buy for 200 and tax, compared to prepaid site which is 256 not including tax.., I'm coming from a lg optimus l9 (which I'm gonna sell and recoup some of the cost)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

github
Old
Thanks Meter 184

DONATE TO ME
I don't have this phone, but I am interested in it. If we can get a small developer community around this, that would be even better... at least get us root (I wonder if it's too new/been patched for TowelRoot to work?)

I posted a request for a forum to be created here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=15177

Model: XT1034 | Carrier: T-Mobile | Firmware: Stock GPE
Bitcoin Donations: 12m5hmCSSDxxb2kqiw1jsooNN3astnyE6a

Notice: I have no relation to the github.com website.

thomasraz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I ordered one today and I'm also interested in a developer community around this device.

I'm a Linux user/coder myself, but still a little behind the curve on Android. I'll certainly be trying the known root hacks for similar Samsung devices as soon as I get mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasraz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hiryusama
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So glad this phone is finally getting some attention. I switched from my galaxy s2 skyrocket to this one. Although it runs touchwiz its pretty stable with rare hiccups. Its a speedy slick phone. The only drawbacks so far for me have been the camera, 5mp is too low for a new phone. Skyrocket had 8mp. And the screen. Coming from a super amoled to this one the colors are kinda washed out and the white looks kind of blueish. Aside from that root on this phone will get rid of all the bloat and samsung crap and speed it up nicely. So far so good. Must note that this phone is lacking some pretty basic stuff like auto brightness, a dedicated button to turn off data on notification bar, multi window support, the volume is low. On the other hand the minimized call screen widget that appears when pressing home button during a call is a jice addition, along with the ability to quick reply messages similar to how AOSP does it. Hope we get root soon!

babyboy8100
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by allroy1975 View Post
I picked one up for my daughter without much thought. I can't imagine buying a phone that doesn't have expandable storage or replacabe battery. She's really happy with it, coming from a hand-me-down iPhone 4and has already had fun laughing at small iPhone screens with me.

It's got a good enough proc and memory to run touchwiz I guess, but I'd LOVE to run some AOSP on the for her so she can see what android is really about.

So far I'm excited and happy I bought her this phone and would love to see it get some attention on xda.

I did the same. I bought it for my son he loves it i had bought the Galaxy Light for him unfortunately 4gb of internal storage is not enough. The problem he had was even with an external 32gb not all the apps can be moved but with the Galaxy Avant has enought space and is big enough for him to enjoy so he is happy so am i. btw you can install the Google launcher from the store makes it alittle better with Google now everywhere.
Galaxy S3 - Rooted t(-.-t)
Acer iconia A500 rooted
Epic Touch 4G rooted- Calkulin's rom
Evo4G - Early Retirement
Nexus S 4g -Rooted Retired.
Nexus One - Rooted. - ICS -Retired
G1 - Rooted - retired

spaniolo
Old
(Last edited by spaniolo; 13th August 2014 at 05:00 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiryusama View Post
So glad this phone is finally getting some attention. I switched from my galaxy s2 skyrocket to this one. Although it runs touchwiz its pretty stable with rare hiccups. Its a speedy slick phone. The only drawbacks so far for me have been the camera, 5mp is too low for a new phone. Skyrocket had 8mp. And the screen. Coming from a super amoled to this one the colors are kinda washed out and the white looks kind of blueish. Aside from that root on this phone will get rid of all the bloat and samsung crap and speed it up nicely. So far so good. Must note that this phone is lacking some pretty basic stuff like auto brightness, a dedicated button to turn off data on notification bar, multi window support, the volume is low. On the other hand the minimized call screen widget that appears when pressing home button during a call is a jice addition, along with the ability to quick reply messages similar to how AOSP does it. Hope we get root soon!
I am also a big fan of the Galaxy S2 from T mobile, awesome custom Roms I have enjoyed that phone until the sim card reader gave up, but I felt it needed a bit more Ram...
About the camera on the Avant, we cannot expect a top end camera in a super budget phone that already has other great specs and quite honestly, after I took a few pics with the camera already and I have nothing to complain; sure not as great as the higher end phones but the pics I took today at a restaurant of my girlfriend with the beauty face mode came out perfect!! I got tons of likes in Facebook.

The screen... it is not as bright and over exposed as the AMOLED ones but... I put it side by side with the galaxy S5 at T-mobile store, opened the exact same web page.. and it blew my mind the fact that the background on this phone's screen had a nicer white/ blue tone rather than the yellowish tone of the S5 and there was a difference in detail but not that huge...

Today I have been all day under the sun in Houston and I was amazed that I had no problem seeing the screen when set at almost full brightness and... the battery... after 22 hours with still 34% left... not bad at all.

So... back to the topic, for me this is like a Galaxy S2 minus camera and screen but with more Ram (1.5 Gb) and more processor Power (quadcore 400 snapdragon 1.2 Ghz), 16 Gb internal memory and up to 64 gb with micro SD, Kit Kat 4.4.2, great size for one hand use, super light; once they get some great roms for this phone optimizing battery, processor and Ram, this phone will be a beast and at the best price in the market!! $216 dollars it is a steal. So this should be candy for the developers to create all kinds of awesome Roms.

I don't think you can expect more for the money... the perfect back up phone if you have a higher end phone as well... Let's hope more people get excited about The Avant...
Phones:
Samsung Galaxy Avant SM-G386T
ROM: stock Kit Kat 4.4.2 unrooted.
Carrier T-Mobile

Samsung Galaxy SII - Hercules - SGH-T989
Sim card reader failed..
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.0.0
ROM: Hackingwiz Rom
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Samsung Galaxy S4 active unlocked. (SGH-i537)
LCD screen dying...
ROM: stock MF3, rooted.
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to spaniolo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmunjr
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I just got mine for $120 in the summer special as well. I almost got the LG L90 for $48!!! but its screen has poor viewing angles though it can be rooted now. The Avant is mostly equal to the L90 except a slight smaller screen(4.5 vs 4.7) but the same resolution and the Avant has more memory, internal storage and not only supports LTE but it appears the new 700Mhz LTE spectrum which means even more coverage than most other T-Mobile phones.

I only tested it out in store but plan to open it up tonight and give it a go...

I too want to see this thing at least rooted in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmunjr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crematorio
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Anyone unlocked this phone yet without using the unlock app?