Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] What's eating my data?

OP neccoguy21

23rd August 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

48 posts
I'm using a stock, un-rooted Droid Maxx on Verizon, and recently I have noticed a few apps in the list of what's using my data that are named a negative number, for example "-13616", and they use only background data. The worst offender using 211mb, the next using 17mb. All in one day. There are about 5 or 6 more all using These seem like they must be malware. And as of starting this post, the smaller offenders have now disappeared and moved most likely to the removed apps tag. What do I do? And why in 2014 can't I long press on an app in a list within the android OS and get the option to go to said app as if you had pressed it from the app list? Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-23-13-38-51.png
Views:	12
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	2909459  
24th August 2014, 01:41 AM   |  #2  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 311

1,094 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccoguy21

I'm using a stock, un-rooted Droid Maxx on Verizon, and recently I have noticed a few apps in the list of what's using my data that are named a negative number, for example "-13616", and they use only background data. The worst offender using 211mb, the next using 17mb. All in one day. There are about 5 or 6 more all using These seem like they must be malware. And as of starting this post, the smaller offenders have now disappeared and moved most likely to the removed apps tag. What do I do? And why in 2014 can't I long press on an app in a list within the android OS and get the option to go to said app as if you had pressed it from the app list? Screenshot attached.

Some perhaps silly questions: Have you tried running an AV app like Avast, Lookout, or AVG to see if anything gets flagged? Have you installed apps/games from untrustworthy sources?

Maybe a factory reset is in order.
25th August 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #3  
Flag oOps
Thanks Meter: 60

264 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccoguy21

you can disable the apps which you don't use.....
And if there is an app "" mobiwol ( no root firewall)"" which is a firewall app like windows firewall on windows....
And if you want more features there are others firewall apps but those require root
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, apps, data, malware
Previous Thread Next Thread