Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 50,052 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wifi connection, no internet access.

Tip us?

ArminasAnarchy
Old
(Last edited by ArminasAnarchy; 4th July 2014 at 01:21 PM.) Reason: Clarification added
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Wifi connection, no internet access.

Hi all,

This question has probably been asked; the problem is not a lack of solutions but there simply being too many - I've no idea where to begin with troubleshooting. Everything I've seen is just to general to be of any use.

Basically...

I installed CM11 (nightly build for my Motorola Moto G, AKA falcon). I've stripped down some of the GAPPS using the 'Barebones' guide on the CM wiki, e.g. removing the Google+ program I don't use, and the stock broswer (replacing with Lightning from the F-Droid repo). I've also installed various other programs to enable me to have absolute control over the device - AdAway, AFWall+ probably being the only two of interest.

I have no internet access either through data or via the house wifi; I have confirmation the problem is confined to my device since no one else in the house has problems, and my laptop and desktop work without trouble (incidently, the router has recently been changed also, so I now have the problem confirmed on two access points). It's not a reception issue either - the device connects fine to the router (albeit with fairly weak reception because of my distance away), in the 'Settings' dialogue I can see it 'Obtains IP address' etc without any obvious error message/hangs/stalling (and in settings displays itself as 'Connected').

Aside from being directed to a fix, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some kind of 'here's how you troubleshoot Android internet access' tutorial; I've got a bit of experience with desktop Linux, and more still with Windoze (albeit unwillingly) - I'm quite comfortable fiddling with the network manager or trying different kernel modules out. On Android, I've just no idea.

So far I have tried:

- Reinstalling the ROM (on both installs, the problem occurs after a few days to ~ a week of normal functioning).
- Uninstalling the AFWall+ (I think it's a DroidWall fork - acts as a frontend for iptables) on the last install, and on this one fiddling with the settings (unticking and re-ticking all boxes to allow on roaming/mobile data/wifi connections
- Uninstalling AdAway (on the last install only)
- Issuing 'ping' in the terminal. It's now just returning an "Error: Unknown host" message, yesterday when I was having trouble with the router, it was returning to do with insufficient privileges (even after I'd ran su to login as root).
-Turning the device on and off (in desperation only).
- I can also confirm the internet access affects not just Lightning (i.e. my browser) but is system wide - Skype, BBC iPlayer, weather updates in cLock etc.

As is probably obvious, I feel I've done little more than bash the screen with a rock and hoped for the best (metaphorically speaking).

I'm wondering if maybe there's something wrong with my hosts file - or else the way packets are sent/received, since Adaway will have altered that, and AFWall+ also. Maybe some bug whereby rules applied by AFWall+ are misinterpreted by iptables to block all access? Any help investigating this avenue in particular would be really helpful.

Also, just in case it wasn't clear, I've got full functionality of everything else, no crashes, able to make/receive calls and SMSes fine etc.

Cheers,

AA.

Paget96
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArminasAnarchy View Post
Hi all,

This question has probably been asked; the problem is not a lack of solutions but there simply being too many - I've no idea where to begin with troubleshooting. Everything I've seen is just to general to be of any use.

Basically...

I installed CM11 (nightly build for my Motorola Moto G, AKA falcon). I've stripped down some of the GAPPS using the 'Barebones' guide on the CM wiki, e.g. removing the Google+ program I don't use, and the stock broswer (replacing with Lightning from the F-Droid repo). I've also installed various other programs to enable me to have absolute control over the device - AdAway, AFWall+ probably being the only two of interest.

I have no internet access either through data or via the house wifi; I have confirmation the problem is confined to my device since no one else in the house has problems, and my laptop and desktop work without trouble (incidently, the router has recently been changed also, so I now have the problem confirmed on two access points).

Aside from being directed to a fix, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some kind of 'here's how you troubleshoot Android internet access' tutorial; I've got a bit of experience with desktop Linux, and more still with Windoze (albeit unwillingly) - I'm quite comfortable fiddling with the network manager or trying different kernel modules out. On Android, I've just no idea.

So far I have tried:

- Reinstalling the ROM (on both installs, the problem occurs after a few days to ~ a week of normal functioning).
- Uninstalling the AFWall+ (I think it's a DroidWall fork - acts as a frontend for iptables) on the last install, and on this one fiddling with the settings (unticking and re-ticking all boxes to allow on roaming/mobile data/wifi connections
- Uninstalling AdAway (on the last install only)
- Issuing 'ping' in the terminal. It's now just returning an "Error: Unknown host" message, yesterday when I was having trouble with the router, it was returning to do with insufficient privileges (even after I'd ran su to login as root).
-Turning the device on and off (in desperation only).

As is probably obvious, I feel I've done little more than bash the screen with a rock and hoped for the best (metaphorically speaking).

I'm wondering if maybe there's something wrong with my hosts file - or else the way packets are sent/received, since Adaway will have altered that, and AFWall+ also. Maybe some bug whereby rules applied by AFWall+ are misinterpreted by iptables to block all access? Any help investigating this avenue in particular would be really helpful.

Cheers,

AA.
maybe is a problem with ROM, flash different rom.
Dont forget to hit thanks

My works:
ALL ROMs FOR GALAXY ACE PLUS
[ROM]Pagebread v1.0 ROM (2.3.6)
[COMPETITION]✪✪Ace Plus Benchmark✪✪
My devices:
Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 - CURRENT
Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 - SOLD

ArminasAnarchy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paget96 View Post
maybe is a problem with ROM, flash different rom.
AFAIK the dev has had no problems, and the two different installs I've had have been different builds.

Also I've no idea where to start to find a new ROM; Linux has the fantastic DistroWatch, but no such resource exists for ROMs (AFAIK).

Finally...I'm quite fussy :P. CM is just the right balance of features - if you want 'em - and stock, vanilla (or even barebones) if you don't. I had a HOX+ in the past, and so many of the ROMs for that were all about eyecandy and glitter - fat I'd rather trim.

Paget96
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
AFAIK the dev has had no problems, and the two different installs I've had have been different builds.

Also I've no idea where to start to find a new ROM; Linux has the fantastic DistroWatch, but no such resource exists for ROMs (AFAIK).

Finally...I'm quite fussy :P. CM is just the right balance of features - if you want 'em - and stock, vanilla (or even barebones) if you don't. I had a HOX+ in the past, and so many of the ROMs for that were all about eyecandy and glitter - fat I'd rather trim.
you try to wipe cache?

My works:
My devices:

ArminasAnarchy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
you try to wipe cache?
When I installed the ROM, yep. My method is to wipe everything then sideload (IMO it seems cleaner :P).

Otherwise, no, and don't see why it would make a difference, and would have no idea how to do it anyway...through the recovery, or is there a way to do it when booted?

No offence, but I get the feeling this is the blind leading the blind xD.

Paget96
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
When I installed the ROM, yep. My method is to wipe everything then sideload (IMO it seems cleaner :P).

Otherwise, no, and don't see why it would make a difference, and would have no idea how to do it anyway...through the recovery, or is there a way to do it when booted?

No offence, but I get the feeling this is the blind leading the blind xD.
I dont know, try to flash different rom and see if it will happen again or not. If not, problem is in that rom you already have.

My works:
My devices:

ArminasAnarchy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I dont know, try to flash different rom and see if it will happen again or not. If not, problem is in that rom you already have.
Any suggestions on where to find one? Or of a particular ROM?

Paget96
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Any suggestions on where to find one? Or of a particular ROM?
[ROM] [4.4.4] [OFFICIAL] ParanoidAndroid 4.4 [FINAL/STABLE]

you can try this
[ROM][4.4.2] SlimKat 2.6 RC2 | Unofficial
bugs:
Problems with GPS.
- Sometimes recovery takes a LONG time to install the ROM.

[ROM] Infusion Beta III [Google Play Edition Based] [27th Jan 2014]

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

all ROMs

http://alchemistar.blogspot.com/2014/02/moto-g.html

My works:
My devices:

Tags
adaway, no internet access, wifi