This question has probably been asked; the problem is not a lack of solutions but there simply being too many - I've no idea where to begin with troubleshooting. Everything I've seen is just to general to be of any use.
I installed CM11 (nightly build for my Motorola Moto G, AKA falcon). I've stripped down some of the GAPPS using the 'Barebones' guide on the CM wiki, e.g. removing the Google+ program I don't use, and the stock broswer (replacing with Lightning from the F-Droid repo). I've also installed various other programs to enable me to have absolute control over the device - AdAway, AFWall+ probably being the only two of interest.
I have no internet access either through data or via the house wifi; I have confirmation the problem is confined to my device since no one else in the house has problems, and my laptop and desktop work without trouble (incidently, the router has recently been changed also, so I now have the problem confirmed on two access points). It's not a reception issue either - the device connects fine to the router (albeit with fairly weak reception because of my distance away), in the 'Settings' dialogue I can see it 'Obtains IP address' etc without any obvious error message/hangs/stalling (and in settings displays itself as 'Connected').
Aside from being directed to a fix, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some kind of 'here's how you troubleshoot Android internet access' tutorial; I've got a bit of experience with desktop Linux, and more still with Windoze (albeit unwillingly) - I'm quite comfortable fiddling with the network manager or trying different kernel modules out. On Android, I've just no idea.
So far I have tried:
- Reinstalling the ROM (on both installs, the problem occurs after a few days to ~ a week of normal functioning).
- Uninstalling the AFWall+ (I think it's a DroidWall fork - acts as a frontend for iptables) on the last install, and on this one fiddling with the settings (unticking and re-ticking all boxes to allow on roaming/mobile data/wifi connections
- Uninstalling AdAway (on the last install only)
- Issuing 'ping' in the terminal. It's now just returning an "Error: Unknown host" message, yesterday when I was having trouble with the router, it was returning to do with insufficient privileges (even after I'd ran su to login as root).
-Turning the device on and off (in desperation only).
- I can also confirm the internet access affects not just Lightning (i.e. my browser) but is system wide - Skype, BBC iPlayer, weather updates in cLock etc.
As is probably obvious, I feel I've done little more than bash the screen with a rock and hoped for the best (metaphorically speaking).
I'm wondering if maybe there's something wrong with my hosts file - or else the way packets are sent/received, since Adaway will have altered that, and AFWall+ also. Maybe some bug whereby rules applied by AFWall+ are misinterpreted by iptables to block all access? Any help investigating this avenue in particular would be really helpful.
Also, just in case it wasn't clear, I've got full functionality of everything else, no crashes, able to make/receive calls and SMSes fine etc.