Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 44,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"OK Google" from any screen

Tip us?

uishido
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default "OK Google" from any screen

hi there,

I've looked around on XDA a bit but haven't found anything yet so here's my question:

Since 'OK Google' is available from any screen now since the last Google Search update was released, is there any way/hack to make this feature work outside of the states (I'm in the Netherlands)?

If I open the voice settings in Google Serach the option just doesn't appear. My phone is the Nexus 5, language is set to English (US), the ok google thing is working from the home screen or within search.

thanks!!

samhell
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Here in germany this function is not implemented, too. Im looking forward for a fix/update soon...hopefully...

veryjiggy
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Would love to know this. Am in the UK on an unrooted Nexus 4. Don't have the option to start it from any screen.

From what people say, Google activates it server-side on an account-to-account basis, but what I am not sure of is is this valid only for people within the US or people elsewhere also get it (once it gets activated for your account) if they set their language to English (US)?

uishido
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
It's working since this morning for me. Looks like Google removed the US-only restriction!

uishido
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryjiggy View Post
Would love to know this. Am in the UK on an unrooted Nexus 4. Don't have the option to start it from any screen.

From what people say, Google activates it server-side on an account-to-account basis, but what I am not sure of is is this valid only for people within the US or people elsewhere also get it (once it gets activated for your account) if they set their language to English (US)?
It's working now from NL

veryjiggy
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by uishido View Post
It's working since this morning for me. Looks like Google removed the US-only restriction!
Have you set your language to English (US)?

uishido
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryjiggy View Post
Have you set your language to English (US)?
Yes, I had it on English US all the time. My native language is German and Google Now is missing most features in German unfortunately