No registration required

[Q] XT912 change from Verizon to AT&T?

OP WCrispy

17th August 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hello,

New here, don't see an up to date thread on this issue. I moved and Verizon has no towers here, so I had to cancel. I'm lucky to get a single bar of 1x or maybe 3G. Then it cuts off. Anyway, AT&T is about the only choice here, tower coverage wise, so I was looking into it. I popped in an old SIM card from a friend's AT&T phone, and it recognized it, didn't seem to request an unlock code. My contract has been up with V for months, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Poking around, seems like basically the issue is some providers use GSM towers (like the rest of the world's standard) but a few like V use CDMA. This info seems a little outdated, probably because not a lot of folks care about the older Razrs anymore. AT&T seems to have upgraded a lot of their service to LTE now. I might pop into AT&T tomorrow to see what I can come up with. My GF has a family plan thingy going so to add this old XT912 would only be another $20 / m.

I just thought I'd throw it out there, and ask you guys what sort of problems I'm going to have? I've read I might get signal, but no data. I've read that the physical radio operates on a different frequency and might connect to GSM but might not be stable. Just wanted to hear your thoughts in laymans terms. I'm pretty new to phone modding, but it's interesting for sure.

Thanks for any attention.
17th August 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Just looked up more about the physical issues with phone radios. Stumbled across this app named GetRIL

Read on other sites that some phones are Radio Interface Layer locked, which I think is just the physical limitation of the phone. After the FCC changed some things, like forcing carriers to unlock phones after service is complete, most newer users won't have this issue. Anyway, it's interesting reading.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread