Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge for XDA members!!

OP demkantor

25th August 2014, 11:38 PM   |  #11  
KidCarter93's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK
Thanks Meter: 6,871
 
10
14,480 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman38102

Look if your trying to say we don't Google stuff before we're dumping ice cold water then your damn wrong. In case you don't notice it many people do donate and throw ice cold water at themselves. Maybe some people can't afford to donate but atleast they can spread awareness by posting these videos. I bet nobody knew what ALS was until this trend came along and everybody searched what ALS is.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

She wasn't saying "nobody Googled it and therefore everyone is doing it for attention". She's saying that there's a hell of a lot of people out there who have done just that. I completely agree.

Out of everyone who I personally know, I'd say that around 90% have done the ice bucket challenge. Out of that 90%, there's around 20% (not exact but an educated guess) who have no idea what this challenge is even for. I know that because they've clearly said, either in the video or in comments after making the video, that they don't know why everyone is suddenly doing this but it seems like fun so they'll join in.
While that could be a sign that a lot of the people who I know clearly have no idea about such things and that everyone else knows the reasons behind this challenge, I've seen a lot of people across the internet stating the exact same that I am now. That shows that there's way too many people who are simply doing this challenge purely for attention as they have no idea that this is for ALS or even what ALS is.


Even though I initially didn't know what ALS was, I did know what MND was. After researching the reason behind this challenge, I then noticed that these are just different names for the same disease and therefore actually knew how serious ALS/MND can be.

A few people on Facebook have nominated me to do it and, while it may seem harsh, I've declined because of the fact that everyone I know has either done this challenge or at least knows about it. Therefore, me doing it and sharing it with those who I know will not raise awareness.
Even though I'm not currently in a position to donate to ALS/MND, I likely would if I was able to.


My apologies if this came across as confrontational as that wasn't my aim - I just wanted to get my point across
25th August 2014, 11:41 PM   |  #12  
demkantor's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,972
 
6,116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Again, not trying to single anyone out but showing disdain for everyone doing this challenge is a bit absurd. I only heard about it a few weeks back and being I don't use Facebook I wasn't nominated until I posted this video where I had found out how big it has really gotten.
I usually don't partake in internet fads for many reasons no matter the cause, but I saw how well this was working, they raised something like two million last year without the ice water stunt and this year its over $50 million. Also knowing someone personally myself I figured I would continue the love
Yes I only donated 10$ and I would have liked to think I would have given a bigger donation but the wife and I had our first child 2 weeks ago and we are now on a budget.
So being this stunt is working and even if the majority don't donate or post videos for the wrong reasons it still spreads the word which to me is better than nothing at all
Again my complaint isn't that someone doesn't partake or doesn't donate, its when I see broad conclusions made about those doing this and then openly mocking them or judging them to be superficial assholes, although some certainly are after watching a few videos posted.
But in the end it was my mistake to use XDA as a social media outlet for non development related anything as what I have seen this won't continue as I thought it might. I guess I'll have to dust off the old MySpace account or whatever people use nowadays (anyone remember friendster?)
[/rant]
26th August 2014, 12:03 AM   |  #13  
ShadowLea's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,038
 
4,171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

Again, not trying to single anyone out but showing disdain for everyone doing this challenge is a bit absurd. I only heard about it a few weeks back and being I don't use Facebook I wasn't nominated until I posted this video where I had found out how big it has really gotten.
I usually don't partake in internet fads for many reasons no matter the cause, but I saw how well this was working, they raised something like two million last year without the ice water stunt and this year its over $50 million. Also knowing someone personally myself I figured I would continue the love
Yes I only donated 10$ and I would have liked to think I would have given a bigger donation but the wife and I had our first child 2 weeks ago and we are now on a budget.
So being this stunt is working and even if the majority don't donate or post videos for the wrong reasons it still spreads the word which to me is better than nothing at all
Again my complaint isn't that someone doesn't partake or doesn't donate, its when I see broad conclusions made about those doing this and then openly mocking them or judging them to be superficial assholes, although some certainly are after watching a few videos posted.
But in the end it was my mistake to use XDA as a social media outlet for non development related anything as what I have seen this won't continue as I thought it might. I guess I'll have to dust off the old MySpace account or whatever people use nowadays (anyone remember friendster?)
[/rant]

You've misread our posts. We're not showing disdain for nor mocking everyone.

Only the majority that are using thia as just another harlem-shake-planking-hype.
26th August 2014, 01:16 AM   |  #14  
demkantor's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,972
 
6,116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

You've misread our posts. We're not showing disdain for nor mocking everyone.

Only the majority that are using thia as just another harlem-shake-planking-hype.

Fair enough, my finger isn't close to the pulse of social media campaigns so I wasn't aware how much this sort of thing was disliked
If all this thread turns out to be is complaints about Facebook or whatever I guess I'll just close it as I obviously didn't understand what people thought about this sort of thing.
No hard feelings
26th August 2014, 10:22 AM   |  #15  
ShadowLea's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,038
 
4,171 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

Fair enough, my finger isn't close to the pulse of social media campaigns so I wasn't aware how much this sort of thing was disliked
If all this thread turns out to be is complaints about Facebook or whatever I guess I'll just close it as I obviously didn't understand what people thought about this sort of thing.

There's always two sides to these things, the people who think it's great, and the people who hate social media hypes for their shallowness. Oh, and everyone else, who get tired of seeing the same thing every day for weeks.

Quote:

No hard feelings

None given, none taken

Luckily, at least today my Facebook will be so overflooded with news about the Emmy awards that these videos don't stand a chance.
27th August 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #16  
Judge Joseph Dredd's Avatar
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Mega-City One
Thanks Meter: 27,486
 
101010
15,965 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Thread Cleaned and back to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge....Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
als, ice bucket challenge
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes