CyanogenMod 12.1 for YU Yureka

YU Yureka recently received an official Cyanogen OS 12S update. If you prefer to use a newer revision of … more

Open War for Open Android: Antitrust for Cyanogen?

Android and openness is something we talk about all the time, but the recent … more

What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Best Way To Go About Learning Photoshop?

7th April 2015, 05:16 AM |#1  
OP Member
Flag Lone Tree, Colorado
Thanks Meter: 3

50 posts
More
I've always been wanting to learn Photoshop, but never really had the time and money. I finally have some free time, and I'm going to start my 30 day free trial tomorrow. I want to get the most out of this trial, learn as much as I can, and hopefully be able to convince myself it's worth the monthly payments.

Where would you recommend I visit for learning photoshop?
YouTube?

Thanks!

7th April 2015, 06:43 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 258

879 posts
Adobe's help page is good.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html

I had some dvds once. But, someone brought them back from a Chinese flea market.

You could probably download them, however.

Lifehacker has some good tutorials, as well.

http://lifehacker.com/5758404/learn-...complete-guide

YouTube is definitely a good place to look.
Last edited by Karakoram2; 7th April 2015 at 06:46 AM.
7th April 2015, 01:18 PM |#3  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,159

4,631 posts
More
Welcome to the world of Photoshop! It's a massive program with a million possibilities, so you'll have plenty to do in it! (Photoshop's my job, and I don't even know more than 30% of what's possible.)

Photoshop Creative is probably the best source for beginner guides. I've got about 80 e-magazines and guidebooks from them, if you want I could message you the Dropbox link for the collection guides. They're PDF's, so you can read them in your own time anywhere. (Can't directlink to it, rules and such.)
You can also find some of their tutorials here: http://blog.photoshopcreative.co.uk/category/tutorials/

Another good place is http://design.tutsplus.com/categories/adobe-photoshop

Layers also has some serious tutorials: http://layersmagazine.com/category/photoshop
9th April 2015, 12:04 PM |#4  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 11,197

11,903 posts
Donate to Me
More
Google and YouTube. Both resources gave me a lot of extra pointers. Start out by knowing exactly what you would like to do in the program then take it from there. There's a lot of information out there.
I tried to start a thread about how to do things in graphics programs (including Photoshop) but no one was interested in sharing or learning. . Anyway, I'm not an expert at Photoshop by any means but I do use it daily and I'm pretty proficient in it so hopefully I can help.
9th April 2015, 12:31 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 13

904 posts
I would suggest getting some lessons from an [s]expert[/s] confident user. I find that helped me as I could just ask straightaway when needed, without constantly searching.

Once you have the basics, online guides should suffice.

My helpful hint: Write a glossary/index of the keyboard shortcuts you will commonly use for easy reference and quicker work
9th April 2015, 04:30 PM |#6  
XDA Portal Team / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag NorCal
Thanks Meter: 522

3,950 posts
More
Lots of.googling! If you find yourself wanting to do something, chances are Photoshop can do it. Even more likely is that there is a video about how to do it. I'm a photographer and before finding out about pbotoshop actions I never really cared to learn more than a couple things. But then I downloaded.my first action.set. Out bright my photos to a whole new level. If you are looking to play with PS for photography reasons, I'd definitely recommend looking into actions. They are one click wonders but help teach you a lot as you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse72

I would suggest getting some lessons from an [s]expert[/s] confident user. I find that helped me as I could just ask straightaway when needed, without constantly searching.

My helpful hint: Write a glossary/index of the keyboard shortcuts you will commonly use for easy reference and quicker work

10th April 2015, 11:41 AM |#7  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,159

4,631 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse72

That does make things much easier. I'm always happy to answer anyone's design&program related questions, so anyone: if you can't find someone in your own circle, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need to!

Quote:

With thanks to SmashingMagazine: (PDF: http://media.mediatemple.netdna-cdn....-shortcuts.pdf )
Last edited by ShadowLea; 10th April 2015 at 11:47 AM.
14th April 2015, 11:59 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

22 posts
The best way for me is seeing tutorials in Youtube
16th April 2015, 06:27 AM |#9  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 2

111 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

That does make things much easier. I'm always happy to answer anyone's design&program related questions, so anyone: if you can't find someone in your own circle, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need to!

With thanks to SmashingMagazine: (PDF: http://media.mediatemple.netdna-cdn....-shortcuts.pdf )

Thanks for the Shortcut. xD
17th April 2015, 07:50 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PMintheAM

I've always been wanting to learn Photoshop, but never really had the time and money. I finally have some free time, and I'm going to start my 30 day free trial tomorrow. I want to get the most out of this trial, learn as much as I can, and hopefully be able to convince myself it's worth the monthly payments.

Where would you recommend I visit for learning photoshop?
YouTube?

Thanks!

Youtube videos there is also a lot of magazines out there and books online. If you are worried about money try using free software to start out with basic photo editing. Art weaver is a good one to start off with.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
learning photoshop
Previous Thread Next Thread