Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,880 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Recommendations for wireless provider (US)

Tip us?

red_skittles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default Recommendations for wireless provider (US)

I will be moving to the US, specifically LA/Pasadena area, at the end of this month and would like to get some opinions on the different cell providers and the plans they offer. I will be bringing my Nexus 5 which I understand is compatible with all major US providers except Verizon. From the research I have done, my top choice is T-Mobile's prepaid $30 unlimited plan (unlimited text, unlimited data up to 5GB, and 100 minutes). I see Virgin Mobile offers a similar prepaid plan with 300 minutes but only 2.5GB data but I have read that T Mobile has better coverage.

And do I need to order a T Mobile prepaid SIM/Activation card online or can I get one at one of their locations??

vanessaem
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 9,827

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post
I will be moving to the US, specifically LA/Pasadena area, at the end of this month and would like to get some opinions on the different cell providers and the plans they offer. I will be bringing my Nexus 5 which I understand is compatible with all major US providers except Verizon. From the research I have done, my top choice is T-Mobile's prepaid $30 unlimited plan (unlimited text, unlimited data up to 5GB, and 100 minutes). I see Virgin Mobile offers a similar prepaid plan with 300 minutes but only 2.5GB data but I have read that T Mobile has better coverage.

And do I need to order a T Mobile prepaid SIM/Activation card online or can I get one at one of their locations??

You can go into a T-Mobile store.

red_skittles
Old
(Last edited by red_skittles; 12th August 2014 at 04:52 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessaem View Post
You can go into a T-Mobile store.
Thanks! Can you speak on T Mobile's service/coverage in general? One thing I have seen come up a lot is that their coverage can be rather spotty at times, especially indoors. I'm sure location plays a big part in this and its probably difficult to generalize. A lot of these comments I see are from a year or two ago from before or during their 4G LTE build out, though. Is this still the case? Do you find yourself with no/poor service in areas where there shouldn't be any problem getting a good signal. Other comments I have read say this is also device dependent, with manly the iPhone getting crappy reception on TMos network

vanessaem
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 9,827

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post
Thanks! Can you speak on T Mobile's service/coverage in general? One thing I have seen come up a lot is that their coverage can be rather spotty at times, especially indoors. I'm sure location plays a big part in this and its probably difficult to generalize. A lot of these comments I see are from a year or two ago from before or during their 4G LTE build out, though. Is this still the case? Do you find yourself with no/poor service in areas where there shouldn't be any problem getting a good signal. Other comments I have read say this is also device dependent, with manly the iPhone getting crappy reception on TMos network
Of course it depends on location, the T-Mobile network is great in New York City and I'm assuming in other large cities as well. However, I found that I lose data in more rural areas. Even though I can make phone calls, there's no internet. However, areas in my home where I previously could not get any service with my old cell phone company, I have it now. Again, I can only speak for my area. As for the company as a whole, so far, no problems in dealing with them.

jrc2
Old
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
T-Mobile has great service in the city but in more rural areas, like the person above was saying, can be spotty. Over here they are better than Verizon coverage wise.

Sent from my SGH-T989
My Website (contains just my downloads for now)

My Phone: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
My Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113; HP Slate 7 2800

If I helped you, (or if I didnít and you are feeling thankful) please press the THANKS button!

If you would like to donate to me, please send me a PM.