HTC M9 S-OFF In Less Than 24 Hours – No ETA On Release

HTC devices are no stranger to XDA’s Senior Recognized Developers … more

April Fools Round Up: The Year of Nostalgia

April Fools Day is once again upon us and as usual, tech companies everywhere have not … more

Android 5.1 OTA for Nexus Round-Up

The beginning of April is dominated by April Fools. There are jokes and pranks everywhere, which are … more

Official Lollipop for LG G2 Captured

LG is rolling out the Lollipop update for the LG G2. KDZ images for both 16 GB and 32 GB variants … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Shopkeepers - what do they know any way?

31st January 2015, 01:50 PM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

46 posts
I've had a lot of devices. Maybe thirty phones in the last 15 years. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Because I've been intimate with them. I've used them daily for years on end.

And then I go to the tech shop or the phone store or the market. And it just seems to me all these guys, the ones behind the counters talking about battery quality and never getting any returns, are they for real?

The do get to see a lot of phones. But do they USE them? Are they to be trusted?
31st January 2015, 02:10 PM |#2  
Flag the internet
Thanks Meter: 219

1,639 posts
More
No one is to be trusted. Trust your own judgement, don't even trust that fully.

Those shopkeepers are trained to come at you with a rehearsed sales pitch. They have 5% technical knowledge and 95% marketing knowledge. They typically only know enough about the devices in thier shop to be able to sell them.

But that's the nature of it. Buyers are responsible for doing thier own research before even setting foot inside a store, and should be aware that it is a salesman's job to sell you the stuff in thier shop.

It's easy for people like us to assume that everybody knows at least the technical basics of these devices. Most people do not. Not even people whose jobs are based upon these things. Assume that you know more about smartphones than anybody you come in contact with. 99% of the time, that assumption will prove correct. It's not thier fault. We are XDA geeks, they are not.

Sent from my Desire 510
31st January 2015, 02:14 PM |#3  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggs

Those shopkeepers are trained to come at you with a rehearsed sales pitch. They have 5% technical knowledge and 95% marketing knowledge. They typically only know enough about the devices in thier shop to be able to sell them.

But that's the nature of it. Buyers are responsible for doing thier own research before even setting foot inside a store, and should be aware that it is a salesman's job to sell you the stuff in thier shop.

It's easy for people like us to assume that everybody knows at least the technical basics of these devices. Most people do not. Not even people whose jobs are based upon these things. Assume that you know more about smartphones than anybody you come in contact with. 99% of the time, that assumption will prove correct. It's not thier fault. We are XDA geeks, they are not.

Sent from my Desire 510

No one is to be trusted ha I love that.

Bot those guys aren't ways just pitching you know. You can engage them in conversation... Frustrating at yes, enlightening at others.

In my experience its always the guys at the tech market, the small importers that know best.
31st January 2015, 02:43 PM |#4  
Flag the internet
Thanks Meter: 219

1,639 posts
More
Theres only one shop around me where they sell unlocked and refurbished phones, the rest where I live are carrier stores like sprint or verizon shops.
The guy at the independant shop knows a ton about the hardware side of things, more than I know even. He makes most of his living repairing usb ports and replacing cracked screens and such.
But even he knows very little about the software/firmware side of it all. I used to do some things to some of the used refurbished phones he sells, so he could make a little more money off of low-end devices, but I showed him some basics of how to do what I was doing so he could do it himself.
You're lucky to have even a few shops around you with knowledgable staff. I just have the internet and lots of friends who want me to 'pimp thier phones' for them lol.

Sent from my Desire 510
31st January 2015, 10:16 PM |#5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,133

4,555 posts
More
They're hired for their sales skills, not their technical knowledge. The same goes for most customer support personnel.

If they know anything at all, it's usually about iPhones.
31st January 2015, 10:29 PM |#6  
Flag Moshav Matityahu
Thanks Meter: 82

518 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggs

Sent from my Desire 510

Whats funny is, once, i was asked to be a selesperson selling smartphones for a few weeks, based on the fact that i am an "xda geek" so with no sales knowledge whatsoever, there i was selling phones. and i wasnt so bad at it either. i just never knew what to answer when someone would ask me the difference between a galxay pocket neo, galaxy ace, or galaxy young. i still dont know.
2nd February 2015, 11:32 AM |#7  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro

Whats funny is, once, i was asked to be a selesperson selling smartphones for a few weeks, based on the fact that i am an "xda geek" so with no sales knowledge whatsoever, there i was selling phones. and i wasnt so bad at it either. i just never knew what to answer when someone would ask me the difference between a galxay pocket neo, galaxy ace, or galaxy young. i still dont know.

You're a good boy [emoji4]
2nd February 2015, 05:47 PM |#8  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 11

190 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro

Sales is only good initially and you will get paid. This will become boring tasks sooner or later.
2nd February 2015, 08:33 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 31

173 posts
More
I remember as I was moving away from the 3 network using my HTC M7, the 3 person from the other side kept trying to sell me the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was telling him the actual specs of the device as he didnt seem to know !

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app
3rd February 2015, 09:38 AM |#10  
OP Member

46 posts
Case in point. Went yesterday to the market (the food markets in russia usually also have hardware stores in the vicinity) to get light bulbs for the office. Went to the lighting shop where they sell every kind of bulb and led strip imaginable. Quite handy.

Asked the guy about his experience using german made versus russian made bulbs. These are speciality bulbs for workshop lighting for artists.

He had nothing to say. Oh he knows about luminosity and color gamut sure. But he knows nothing about their exploitation. In his own words "i just sell the stuff".

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread