--Hacking Chromebook-- HELP PLEASE

Search This thread

Christopher4tw

Jan 6, 2013
I needed help with a problem, and XDA is the best place, in my mind, to help:

The Story:
As of yesterday, and until May, I am in possession of a chromebook (HP-14 model). It is registered to my school, and the system has it on lockdown. On lockdown, it is almost useless for me (I love tinkering with stuff, as I am a member of this website). I want to boot from USB.

So far, the only way to boot from USB that I have found is this here, which tells me I need to be in developer mode. Easy stuff. I run into trouble when getting to dev mode it will delete all local data. This will take all of the school's administrator settings and configurations off, which will not be acceptable when I turn the laptop back in.

The Point of the Post:
This is what I really need help with:
1) How can I backup all the settings and configurations (and restore them)? (not just files, files are easy)
--Preferably something like a recovery on an android device where I can just restore before turning it back in.
2) Is there another way (without losing data) to boot into USB?

Thanks in advance.

rbheromax

Jun 18, 2012
Columbia
OK
I'm sure you want have control over your chromebook
I did this last year (my senior year)
We had Lenovo chromebooks
check this out:
dustychrome.wordpress.com

follow the instructions to the T
seriously

hit that thanks button!

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher4tw

Christopher4tw

Jan 6, 2013
OK
check this out:

seriously

hit that thanks button!

Thanks so much for the link. My questions are: What was deleted when you went to developer mode? And how did you get it back to original condition before returning to the school?
Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Free mobile app

rbheromax

Jun 18, 2012
Columbia
nothing was deleted
once signing back in using school account, it'll sync school wifi passwords, school information and all that
you can add a ubuntu chroot to the hard drive and use that in parallel (someone who isnt me used this to cheat on every test :p )
to remove it, just restart chromebook. press spacebar. it'll wipe the chromebook completely

Christopher4tw

Jan 6, 2013
nothing was deleted
once signing back in using school account, it'll sync school wifi passwords, school information and all that
you can add a ubuntu chroot to the hard drive and use that in parallel (someone who isnt me used this to cheat on every test :p )
to remove it, just restart chromebook. press spacebar. it'll wipe the chromebook completely

Thanks again, I think I am going to try it. All I need is to be able to boot from USB. Last question (I am hesitant just because I am part of the pilot program for these notebooks, and I really don't want to get caught modding): When the notebook (HP 14 model) is wiped, I will be able to sign in on my account and all of the original school restrictions and WiFi password will be synced? (In other words, you are suggesting all of the restrictions are saved with my school Google account)

rbheromax

Jun 18, 2012
Columbia
Thanks again, I think I am going to try it. All I need is to be able to boot from USB. Last question (I am hesitant just because I am part of the pilot program for these notebooks, and I really don't want to get caught modding): When the notebook (HP 14 model) is wiped, I will be able to sign in on my account and all of the original school restrictions and WiFi password will be synced? (In other words, you are suggesting all of the restrictions are saved with my school Google account)

you'll have to play with it a little bit. i was part of my school's pilot program. Didn't get caught, although they suspected but couldn't prove it because of how I said you can wipe it so fast. All the restrictions are saved with your Google Account yes, but with a chroot you can switch between normal chrome os and ubuntu with a keypress and hide it whenever. Deniability is key.

Christopher4tw

Jan 6, 2013
you'll have to play with it a little bit. i was part of my school's pilot program. Didn't get caught, although they suspected but couldn't prove it because of how I said you can wipe it so fast. All the restrictions are saved with your Google Account yes, but with a chroot you can switch between normal chrome os and ubuntu with a keypress and hide it whenever. Deniability is key.

I think you are now my favorite person. That is hilarious. If I may ask, what state did you go to high school in (or high school if you want to put that out there)? I believe I am really going to enjoy this chromebook program. I already have a bootable Ubuntu USB flashdrive, so that's the root (pun intended) I want to take. I really appreciate the help.

rbheromax

Jun 18, 2012
Columbia
I think you are now my favorite person. That is hilarious. If I may ask, what state did you go to high school in (or high school if you want to put that out there)? I believe I am really going to enjoy this chromebook program. I already have a bootable Ubuntu USB flashdrive, so that's the root (pun intended) I want to take. I really appreciate the help.

South Carolina
With stuff like this, you will. When you have to turn it back in you will miss it. I know I do...

Christopher4tw

Jan 6, 2013
South Carolina
With stuff like this, you will. When you have to turn it back in you will miss it. I know I do...

Didn't work. My friend tried it before I could and the chromebook said developer mode was disabled by administrator and then was directed to the setup screen where he just put in his username and password and it told him he was just enrolled again (I'm sure the administrator was notified when he was re-enrolled).

fisk4rn

Nov 2, 2013
Didn't work. My friend tried it before I could and the chromebook said developer mode was disabled by administrator and then was directed to the setup screen where he just put in his username and password and it told him he was just enrolled again (I'm sure the administrator was notified when he was re-enrolled).

I get the same problem...

SiiNiiSteR

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks so much for the link. My questions are: What was deleted when you went to developer mode? And how did you get it back to original condition before returning to the school?

Powerwash ? Works for me everytime...Can't seem to perm. remove the Local Admin's crud for anything. something about giving a little scrub a dub to the copper and then while in dev using command prompt and then somehow being able to rewrite the internal S/N and straight flexin on the OS to make it think
i think its like...on the sign in screen oress and hold esc+Restart+power until the screen flashes off and back on..then its something like...Shft+ wait wait.. dont do that lol....Ctrl+D then enter hang on lemme grab something for ya

loveydovey

Apr 18, 2017
I need help getting into facebook on my chromebook without messing up the chromebook but i have to return it to the school at the end of the year do ya'll know a shortcut that may not be blocked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK
    check this out:

seriously

hit that thanks button!

South Carolina