Disclamer: these files are meant specifically for the Samsung Galaxy Discover(SCH-R740C). Use on any other device will result in an instant brick of device. Use these files at your peril, you assume any responsibility for loss or damage that may result from use of these files or procedures.
You have been warned.
now to the goodies.....
List of supplies:
1. Phone (SCH-R740C)
2. USB cord that syncs with the PC
3. USB drivers installed for the phone
4. Files from this location. click here
easiest method is to use simple upgrade tool from here or here under downloads then software.
the simple upgrade tool will update the device if like mine, the OTA method failed.
NOTE:this method only works for devices already running 4.1.2. for rooting 4.0.4, use kingoroot which can be found here
before starting, please make sure you have "UPDATE-SuperSU.zip" copied to the root of your external SD card which you can download from here
+++to install CWM:
Follow these steps very carefully, or you might brick your phone.
1. Download Odin package and CWM-recovery-amazing3gcri-eng.tar.md5 from here Extract Odin to a known location and copy the tar.md5 files to the same location
2. Right click on the .exe file inside of the odin folder and select “Run as Administrator”
3. Now that odin is running:
4. Place you galaxy discover in download mode:
4a. With phone off hold vol - and power button
4b. Wait for the phone to present it warning menu release vol - and power
4c. press Vol +
5. CLICK ON THE PDA BUTTON
6. Browse to the appropriate sub directory and select "CWM-recovery-amazing3gcri-eng.tar.md5"
7. Press Start.
DO NOT DISCONNECT, UNPLUG, PLAY WITH ANY BUTTONS, OR CLICK ANYTHING ON EITHER THE PHONE OR COMPUTER UNTIL ODIN HAS FINISHED FLASHING CLOCKWORK RECOVERY ON YOUR PHONE.
8. To boot into recovery, turn off the phone, now press and hold the volume up button, press and hold the power button, wait for phone to boot to recovery, release both buttons. ignore the triangle at the bottom of the screen, that will get fixed later
9. Now highlight "Install ZIP". select "choose from sdcard"
10. Scroll to "UPDATE-SuperSU.zip", and select using power button. another menu will pop up with "- - Yes Install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip" use power button to select it.
11. Wait for the magic.....
12. Once it is done, go ahead and pull battery and reboot device.
+++At this point, your device if the steps above have been followed to a T, should be fully functional(rooted) and running 4.1.2.
1. Download "deodexednearstock4.1.2SCH-R740C.zip" from here. and put it onto the root of your external SD card.
2.reboot phone into CWM recovery
3.(recommended but can be skipped if on 4.1.2)once in recovery, use the volume keys to highlight wipe data/factory reset. use the power button to select it.
3a. use volume keys again to highlight " Yes - Wipe all user data". and use the power button to select it. wait until it is done
4.highlight "Install ZIP. select "choose from sdcard"
5. scroll to "deodexednearstock4.1.2SCH-R740C.zip", and select using power button. another menu will pop up with "- - Yes Install deodexednearstock4.1.2SCH-R740C.zip" use power button to select it.
6. wait for the magic.....
7. once it is done, go ahead and pull battery and reboot device. it may take about up to 10 minutes or so to get into the device itself to get it set back up.
+++at this point you should be on stock(except for launcher and browser) deodexed 4.1.2
just a word of warning, you'll have to install a web browser into it. when i first installed NakedRom from it's original form, it did not come with one. And to get Google Voice Search to work, just let it update from the Play Market.
1. Go into download mode again (volume down + power and then volume up)
2. Plug in the phone.
3 Open Odin and select PDA and open "stock_recovery.tar.md5"
4. Make sure phone recognizes, and hit start.
4a. Again, same as last time, do not touch device until it says complete.
5. When it's done, pull battery and reboot device.
+++At this point the triangle should have gone away but just to make sure.....
6. download and install triangle away from chainfire. here's the link
7. follow these instructions here. it's a youtube video about an S3 but the way you work the application should be really close to what's shown. run the application and let it do it's thing.
now device is completely stock (except the ADW launcher and root)
credits/ kudos; thanks to cowboyenvy for providing the initial tutorial.
chainfire for his wonderful softwares. and the gentleman who ported NakedRom to this device (to which this is all based off of).
just a word of warning, you'll have to install a web browser into it. when i first installed NakedRom from it's original form, it did not come with one. And to get google voice search to work, just let it update from the market.
the rom is fully deodexed so you should see a little bit of a speed improvement.
please feel free to let me know if there's any issues with this release and i will fix them as they are found for now as this device is the one i primarily use as of right now.