Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Device Encryption of Huawei G750 and alternatives

OP Enkhiel

28th August 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wiesbaden
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Hey Guys,

I have a Huawei G750 and really LOVE it!
As I am using it for business as well, I have a connection to an exchange server.
By now my Administrator told me to enable device encryption or else I'll loose access to the exchange server and can#t use my phone for business purposes anymore.
As I had to notice, the G750 currently does not include encryption settings...
I had a call regarding that topic with Huawei support and they were wondering as well.

Now I am looking for an app oign exactly the same, Android does with device encrption.
Does anyone of you have ever heard about such an app?

File- or Appencryption is not enough!

Thank you all in advance!
Alex
28th August 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhiel

Now I am looking for an app oign exactly the same, Android does with device encryption.

Hi Alex!
I think this is not trivial as Android encrypts the whole /data partition. You have to make really deep changes to the system to do exactly the same and you would certainly end up with the same implementation.

I think you first have to find out if there is really no encryption feature in your ROM. From the Huawei support I would expect that they can tell you if this is actually the case! Maybe someone in the forum has also some more experience with the absence of the encryption feature in manufacturer-ROMs?

Some more points that come into my mind:
- Do you even see the option to activate encryption in the settings?
- You have to choose PIN or password as unlocking method for your phone. Otherwise encryption can't be enabled.
- Did you root your phone? Can you try to activate encryption via terminal or ADB? Here is the command you have to execute as root:
Code:
/system/bin/vdc cryptfs enablecrypto inplace YOURPASSWORD
The Following User Says Thank You to bastei For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wiesbaden
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastei

Hi Alex!
I think this is not trivial as Android encrypts the whole /data partition. You have to make really deep changes to the system to do exactly the same and you would certainly end up with the same implementation.

I think you first have to find out if there is really no encryption feature in your ROM. From the Huawei support I would expect that they can tell you if this is actually the case! Maybe someone in the forum has also some more experience with the absence of the encryption feature in manufacturer-ROMs?

Some more points that come into my mind:
- Do you even see the option to activate encryption in the settings?
- You have to choose PIN or password as unlocking method for your phone. Otherwise encryption can't be enabled.
- Did you root your phone? Can you try to activate encryption via terminal or ADB? Here is the command you have to execute as root:

Code:
/system/bin/vdc cryptfs enablecrypto inplace YOURPASSWORD

Hey bastei,

thank you for all your work!
Yep, I had some phone calls with Huawei and those option really does not exist.
As I have a connection to exchange already, I use a screen lock with PIN.
I checked Storage and Security screen several times to really be sure not overseeing anything

Regarding ADB I only have a Windows 8 Client from my employer where USB connection does not really work with ADB-drivers.
Can I run
a) that command in something like a dry-run to clearify if this option exists without really encrypting
b) that command from root terminal directly on my phone?

BTW: Yep, it's rooted.

Attached have a look at the mail from Huawei:

Quote:

[...] Die Telefonverschlüsselung ist aktuell leider nicht in die Software des Huawei Ascend G750 implementiert. Natürlich gehen wir davon aus, dass diese in Kürze durch ein Performance Update nachgereicht wird. [...]

Quote:

[...]Sadly the mobile-phone-encryption currently is not implemented within G750 software. Of course we expect to have a ???Performance Update??? delivered to fix that issue

Best regards,
Alex
28th August 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhiel

Yep, I had some phone calls with Huawei and those option really does not exist.

Yeah, I think you have no chance then... Maybe sometime Huawei will deliver their "Performance Update" or someone will build a custom ROM for your phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhiel

a) that command in something like a dry-run to clearify if this option exists without really encrypting

Execute
Code:
/system/bin/vdc cryptfs enablecrypto
It should respond with
Code:
cryptfs enablecrypto <wipe|inplace> <passwd>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhiel

b) that command from root terminal directly on my phone?

Yes, you can execute it on the phone. Make shure to run it as root (execute "su" beforehand).
The Following User Says Thank You to bastei For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wiesbaden
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

imagefoxy.com/2Yh

Looks good, eh?
Seems like they just forgot to add a GUI-Button

Will that encrypt Internal AND external storage?

Cheers,
Alex
28th August 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhiel

Looks good, eh?

So far, yes. But I don't know what exactly they "didn't implement". So you have to try if that will do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhiel

Will that encrypt Internal AND external storage?

The standard Android encryption feature will only encrypt /data (internal storage).

Do you have a custom recovery installed? Use it to make a backup before you try to encrypt.
The Following User Says Thank You to bastei For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th October 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wiesbaden
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastei

So far, yes. But I don't know what exactly they "didn't implement". So you have to try if that will do the trick.


The standard Android encryption feature will only encrypt /data (internal storage).

Do you have a custom recovery installed? Use it to make a backup before you try to encrypt.

Tried to encrypt today but sadly it doesnt work..
Running /system/bin/vdc cryptfs enablecrypto inplace *** as root leads into a new line "200 0 -1"
To bad it's not working as I can't connect to exchange anymore
6th October 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wiesbaden
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs down
Tried MailWise Mail-Client and Xposed do trick out Exchange, without any success as well...
Seems like a lost battefield

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes