Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

App not installed. An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature

OP kclimkc330

15th August 2014, 09:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I have installed an apk file previously and now intend to install another updated apk file to my android phone. However the installation of the new apk file failed with message "an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed".

I had tried to uninstall the first apk and then install the new apk file but the installation failed with the same message appeared. My phone is not rooted. Is there any way to rectify the error ?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Siberian Tiger; 16th August 2014 at 11:38 PM.
15th August 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #2  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 15,438

8,686 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclimkc330

I have installed an apk file previously and now intend to install another updated apk file to my android phone. However the installation of the new apk file failed with message "an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed".

I had tried to uninstall the first apk and then install the new apk file but the installation failed with the same message appeared. My phone is not rooted. Is there any way to rectify the error ?

Thank you in advance.

I found another user who could fix a similar issue with YouTube.apk: [Q] Installing the new YouTube V5 apk Issues (task's AOKP).
Maybe it works for you too.
Alternatively you can check if the un-installed (first) app is really completely uninstalled. Maybe it's a system app which still has some left-overs in another folder and is just "de-activated" or "disabled".
However, completely uninstalling of system apps requires root access.

If you still have issues and you can't contact the app/update dev for help, you can post your questions in the Android Development and Hacking > Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting forum.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread