Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 48,972 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck stock galaxy S2 - Need root advice to recover data!

Tip us?

Bear Claw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Stuck stock galaxy S2 - Need root advice to recover data!

Dear xda community,

I have searched wide and far through the forums but have not found the perfect solution to my problem:

I have an non-rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 stuck in boot after my stock FM radio app crashed. Boot stops in the flashing logo and won't go on from there.
Cache wipe in recovery mode doesn't help, but I do not want to factory reset without any attempt to save personal data from the internal memory.

I have tried to access my phone through adb, but cannot use the pull command to get anything off (e.g. /sdcard/, where it just tells me that 0 files have been found and 0 transferred).
Kies won't connect either.

Some forums suggest to root and flash a custom rom, but this process seems a) to involve factory reset, b) seems risky without access to anything above recovery mode, or c) seems risky because I don't know my exact kernel version to pick.

All I can get via "adb shell cat /proc/version" is this:

Linux version 3.0.31-889555 (dpi@DELL228) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #3 SMP PREE
MPT Thu Jan 31 14:48:54 KST 2013

I am a bit unsure whether the kernels and roms available would fit because I had to send the device in earlier last year on guarantee and got it back with a firmware jellybean update, so it's not the originial stock kernel.

I found the exact same /proc/version output in this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...tanks-t2139040) , where they recommended to use PhilZ Touch v4.22 + new XWLSD.

I am unsure if this would be a good solution for me as well even though I don't know my build number or baseband version.
Is there a way to find these out via adv? are they important? Will I brick my phone if I try to install this kernel without knowing more?

Any help very much appreciated!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2767
Hi there!!

You will need to ask for alternatives to wiping in your device section........but as there are many S2 variants, I'll need to know your model to point you in the right direction.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

And yes, without knowing what exact device you have, flashing anything is a gamble. Don't. 👍

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Also, rooting and flashing ROMs won't wipe your internal SD. But all apps and data will get wiped if you flash properly. A factory reset won't delete your Internal SD if done through a custom recovery. Unless you set it to.

But again, need a model to help further.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

Bear Claw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
But again, need a model to help further.

Thanks, I have a Samsung Galaxy GT-I9100, no specific carrier.

(sorry if this is a wrong section)

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2767
This is the Q&A section for your device....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help

Any questions can asked there.

Here's a link to your devices entire section...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2

Good luck! 👍
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe