[GUIDE]Set Video as bootanimation(Testers needed!)

Search This thread

jdubbz55731

Jan 19, 2015
How do I use my own video?

First of all, I got to say bravo on working it out to have video as the boot animation, for real, .qmg files appear to be a bit "klunky", well most of them do in my experience. Anywho, I was wondering if there was a possibility of using my own video as a boot animation. I firstly, have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S5 sm-g900p (Sprint). I tried your Marvel boot animation and it worked perfectly! So, I have been trying to replace the video in the zip file with one of my own shot with my phones camera, I have tried 4k and standard 1080 (I wouldn't want to go any lower for resolution) and the were both shot in portrait. I have also changed the permissions to that of the included video and rezipped, then renamed it to the same as included video and rezipped, both times I had removed the included video to replace it with mine. All my efforts thus far have come to no avail. Sorry so long, just joined, big fan of the work done here and just wanted to be informative on my subject. Thank you.

vikraminside

Jul 9, 2013
It worked/Not. Yes for droid boot animation. No for custom mp4 video files. I tried various resolutions. Replaced 01_qooqle.mp4 it did not work even after several resolutions for my video files.

What was significantly changed in bin file?

I think it has something to do with binary file size setting.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

vikraminside

Jul 9, 2013
anyway what that numbers indicate in videodesc.txt? is it same as numbers which meant in desc.txt of old bootanimation.zip previously?

The numbers are same as old.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

What give me nerves is that i found a bootanimation with sound that works, and i dont have to do nothing more than paste it on /system/media and reboot, dont need permissions, desc or anyting else…

True. The secret is not out. Converting to frames should be old school way. It will be difficult to sync audio in such cases. Even in XDA i found holo bootanimation with sound that worked.

vikraminside

Jul 9, 2013
I tested it. The bin file has nothing to do with animation (in my test results). The moto g stock animation works for both new and old bootanimation bin file.

Also (droid) 540 * 960 resolution of mp4 replaced file does not work.

This means the zip encoding may need to be checked.

The bootanimation factory tool only applies for animated gifs in windows not for mp4. The preview feature of mp4 bootanimation is not recognized. Bug report raised.

I will keep this thread posted.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Success. It has to do with compression method. Please view my tutorial and feel free to thank me.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3013378

Reactions: Antagonist42

foggydisaster

May 2, 2012
Kiev
Anyone was able to get this running with lollipop yet? Few pages ago one person posted a binary which is supposed to work on lollipop. I tried to test it but it doesnt seem to work well. I can launch it from terminal and it plays the video just fine, however when i reboot phone it doesnt work. Logcat showing an unknown mediaplayer error (-2147483648). This is MediaPlayer.MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN error and it usually means that it has troubles accessing the file. I have checked everything it should work fine, but it just doesnt. (Im trying with moto animation). ill keep trying to look into it.

Sent from my d855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: PeeyushMalik

TheDude

Dec 10, 2010
Nixa, MO
Google Pixel 8 Pro

arter97

Recognized Developer
Oct 14, 2012
Seoul
A huge shame that whoever wrote this is not interested in sharing the source code.

A. Huge. Shame.

starbucks2010

Jun 30, 2010
Quoting from the OP..

Yeah, just change the contents of that zip.

I got it to work on my Xperia Z, running stock 4.4.4. I don't have an AOSP rom to try it on, sorry.
I have an SG Note Edge on 4.4.4. and all that I get is a black screen. Can you please share the bootanimation file from /system/bin?

Thank you.

Alienoid

Aug 5, 2013
Hello guys, so i tried the exact same procedure suggested in the first post on my yu Yureka and replaced the stock animation with marvel and DC. Set the correct permissions as instructed and then i rebooted my mobile.. During rebooting the marvel DC animation played once and then it disappeared...for rest of the booting period the screen was just blank and the mobile rebooting completed just fine..any idea whats going on? Ooo and i also have two other boot animations in the media folder because of the android theme i applied but they are not named "bootanimation.zip" or even close.
Mobile running on CyanogenMod 11

Coach_Jaymall

Mar 13, 2015
Need Stock Boot animation file !!!!!!

so i was a dumbass and didnt backup my bootanimation file in " system/bin " . im on an Xperia zZ2 D6503, does someboday have a backup for me? or is there a way to recover it ?

ImpassionedRule

Jul 1, 2014
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 4a
If the OP wouldn't mind, I think it would be helpful to mention that when creating the zip, use store compression aka no compression. I tried multiple times to get it to work, and it was only after I turned off compression did the animation show up.

What I did was use zip store compression when adding the 2 MP4s to the archive.
Then I copied the description file from the Moto boot animation into the zip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ticklefish

caioRJ

Mar 24, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
I put boot animation "Moto G". (Galaxy S4 i9505 rom ressurretion Remix)
and show a black screen, and animation comes after more than 20 seconds, How can make animation shows the beginning ??

-->

Jul 7, 2014
Xiaomi Poco F3
I'm using Watch_Dogs bootanimation on CM 12 ROM but the animation doesn't appear at all, it's just showing black screen until the boot is finished :crying:

Soleurs

Apr 2, 2015
So I'm using a G3 with CM12. I used the provided Lollipop file, modified the permissions to the proper values for both the zip and the bootanimation binary, and tried with the ctOS boot, the Droid boot, and a custom mp4 file, but none of these work. I only get my LG logo and "Powered by Android" before it boots straight in to CM12. Anything I'm doing wrong?

kikemotions

Jun 23, 2012
San Andres Isla
Hi,

Im trying to make it work on a Nexus 6 with Lollipop 5.1. followed all the directions, but i wont load as it should. i mean. when i start the phone, it show me the google logo and stays that way until it supposed to load the end loop animation, just then it start reproduce the video for some seconds and goes into UI.
dont know why.

here is the video. sorry for the quality, i only had my laptop webcam to record it.

PS. Yes, the Nexus 6 takes forever to boot because of the encryption.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys because of Motorola's good deeds i found a way to Set a Video as bootanimation.:D
    The procedure is very simple.;)

EDIT : VIDEO TUTORIAL IS NOW ADDED !!!
    EDIT 2: WATCH DOGS/ctOS BOOTANIMATION IS NOW ADDED !!!
    EDIT 3: SUPPORT FOR LOLLIPOP ADDED . NOT TESTED PERSONALLY BUT USERS CLAIMING IT WORKS THANKS TO LuanTeles !!! :D
    EDIT 4: TankiFrench FOUND A NICE TOOL TO CONVERT SIMPLE BOOTANIMATION ZIPS TO VIDEO BOOTANIMATION ZIPS. HERE YOU GO http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2651044

XDA Portal
    FqKKEL4.jpg

Why use Video instead of set of pics?:confused:
    Ans.
    1. It will take less space in /system.
    2. This can play the animation with steady fps doesn't matter the power of cpu. (Old bootanimations slow down the animation some times if cpu is not able to handle the animation)
    3. At the End we can put any awesome video we like as bootanimation . f*ck yeah!:cool:

Requirements :
    1. Rooted Phone
    2. Android 4.4.x or 5.0.x(still need testing)

Procedure :
    1(a). Download this bootanimation file for kitkat .
    Code:
    [URL="http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/26992022/file.html
    "]Zippyshare[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/download/mx8g6zfukfb6fql/bootanimation"]Mediafire[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t7lpyrsfys5t1o/bootanimation?dl=0"]Dropbox (Thanks to danielbe)[/URL]
    1(b). Download this bootanimation file for lollipop
    Code:
    [URL="http://goo.gl/CFPYAZ"]Google Drive (thanks to LuanTeles)[/URL]
    2. Replace it with your bootanimation file from /system/bin.
    3. Set 755(octal) permission (i.e rwx-rx-rx) to bootanimation file.
    4. Download attached bootanimation.zip and modify it with your mp4 videos
    Code:
    [B]Notice :[/B] Below attached bootanimation.zip is extracted from Moto E device.
    It contains 2 mp4 files inside instead of 2 folder full with pics.
    One mp4 is for main bootanimation and second mp4 video is for looping.
    After using this method old type bootanimation may not work so make backup of your phone's bootanimation file and bootanimation zip.
    5. At last push the modified bootanimation.zip in /system/media and overwrite and set 644(octal) permission (i.e rw-r-r) permission.

Video Tutorials by techdeisel ;) (thnx bro )

YOU CAN ALSO JUST USE FOLLOWING ATTACHED BOOTANIMATION.ZIP IF YOU WANT MOTO E/G BOOTANIMATION. :victory:

vFVm8X.jpg
    LPbnKz.jpg

Press Thanks if Worked . That's the least you can do for me :good:

BOOTANIMATIONS

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Marvel vs DC bootanimation (at 48 fps)
    Note : The original method of bootanimation takes whooping 41 MB space but with this method only 7.13 MB
    DOWNLOAD

Preview(30 fps):
    ComicCharcters480.gif

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. DROID (Don't exactly know which phone model :p )
    DOWNLOAD

Preview
    attachment.php

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Watch Dogs/ctOS bootanimation
    DOWNLOAD

Preview
    Not Available right now :( . I will upload when i get to my laptop.

Sorry i gave link to my phone's bootanimation file :p redownload the file. i uploaded the correct one

:D Easy enough to do..

Downloaded the new file, stuck into the flashable zip I made, flashed and....now my Sony phone is advertising Motorola! Very nice! :highfive:

There's about a second of delay before the video loads and starts playing but that may have been my imagination. Hardly an issue anyway.

Now I just need to find a suitable video I can use. Hmm....

My flashable zip is attached. It uses the Universal Flashing Tool, so it makes a flashable backup file of the files it replaces. However, the UFT doesn't work on every rom...

So I've attached a 'standard' flashable zip as well. ;)

I've made a folder on my Mediafire account with some flashable zips for this. Have a look at my post later in the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56960679&postcount=91
    Hmm very interesting find, I'll give it a go in a little bit. Traveling right now.

Thank you!

DJ
    EDIT : 2 NEW BOOTANIMATIONS

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Marvel vs DC bootanimation (at 48 fps)
    Note : The original method of bootanimation takes whooping 41 MB space but with this method only 7.13 MB
    DOWNLOAD

Preview(30 fps):
    ComicCharcters480.gif

2. DROID (Don't exactly know which phone model :p )
    DOWNLOAD

Preview
    attachment.php

I didn't spot that you'd uploaded some new videos! :eek:

I've made some flashable zips to go with them and they're all in this folder here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h1cacu0430696//Video%20Bootanimations

There's a mix of 'STD' and 'UFT' zips.

The UFT ones make a flashable backup of the files that are replaced, so you can easily get your ROM back to normal. But they don't work on every ROM and/or recovery. So that's why there are STD ones as well!

Enjoy!
    Hi! I've extracted the bootanimation binary file from Moto E4 system image (Android 7.1.1) and it's working on my Moto E2 with LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2). I can use video files as bootanimation (I've used the Hello Moto bootanimation from the same Moto E4 system image). You can download and test it. The .zip file will backup your old bootanimation binary and copy the new one.