FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

{Save Battery} {All Androids}

4,438 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,920

By doctor_droid, Recognized Contributor on 17th January 2013, 05:22 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all
Here are a few tips i would like to share wid u all. These tips will help u extract the maximum juice out of your androids

Starting wid the simplest one

TIP NO 1 - ENABLE EXTENDED STANDBY MODE IN POWER SETTINGS{xperia 2012 series only}

If u are on stock ics rom , go to settings, power management and check extended standby mode.
yes do it, this doesn't affects battery drain but enhance the standby time .
This helps to switch off wifi and data traffic when the phone screen is switched off for sometime.
Basic but most useful.
When this is enabled , u dun need apps like Juice defender or DS battery saver

TIP NO. 2 - DO NOT USE ANY APP KILLERS OR TASK MANAGERS

Most of us use task manager to kill apps running the background regularly.
But we may notice that most of the apps killed by task managers get restarted by themselves.
Thus all these app killers continue to drain battery and do the same thing all around,
These app killers will also make your phone laggy to some extent because of poor ram management

TIP NO. 3 - UNDERCLOCK

If u use your phone only for basic purposes such as messaging and calls then there is no problem in underclocking.
800Mhz would be fine wid minimum or no performance glitches.
This not only relives strain on cpu but saves battery.
I myself have underclocked this and belive me 800mhz does not affects the performace of most of the games(if u play)

TIP NO. 4 - USE GOVERNORS

There is no defination for governors but u can say these are the engines that control the cpu frequency time to time

There are several governors present most commonly used being ondemandx , conservative and powersave.

1: OnDemand Governor:
This governor has a hair trigger for boosting clockspeed to the maximum speed set by the user. If the CPU load placed by the user abates, the OnDemand governor will slowly step back down through the kernel's frequency steppings until it settles at the lowest possible frequency, or the user executes another task to demand a ramp.

2: Performance Governor:
This locks the phone's CPU at maximum frequency. While this may sound like an ugly idea, there is growing evidence to suggest that running a phone at its maximum frequency at all times will allow a faster race-to-idle.

3: Powersave Governor:
The opposite of the Performance governor, the Powersave governor locks the CPU frequency at the lowest frequency set by the user.

4: Conservative:
A slower Ondemand which scales up slowly to save battery. The conservative governor is based on the ondemand governor. It functions like the Ondemand governor by dynamically adjusting frequencies based on processor utilization. However, the conservative governor increases and decreases CPU speed more gradually.

go to this page to know more about governors
http://androidforums.com/xperia-mini...explained.html

For setting up governors (if installed) and underclocking use a free app like Antutu Cpu Master (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sterFree&hl=en )

TIP NO. 5 - DON'T INSTALL APPS UNNECESSARILY

This does not needs an explanation. Just remember that when apps run in background , they consume battery. More the number of unnecessary apps running, the more faster is the battery drain.

Keep only those apps which u use frequently and if u are a rooted user, delete all bloatwares, FREEZE GMAPS AND TIMESCAPE IF U DUN USE IT.

TIP NO. 6 - CHOOSE NETWORK MODE AS PER YOUR NEED

Whether you are using WCDMA or GSM network or WCDMA/GSM , choose it as per your need.
If u are on the internet only for surfing then use GSM mode and switch to WCDMA only if u need to download.
This as per my usage has the greatest impact on battery life.

to select network mode , go to settings>more>mobile networks>network mode

While surfing only (xda ) i use opera mini app wid GSM mode enabled and its very fast .

P.S. - charging your battery only when it is about to get exhausted belongs to old school now. Charge whenever u can charge

NONE OF THESE TIPS REQUIRES SOMETHING SPECIAL OR TECHNICAL TRY THEM AND U WILL DEFINATELY FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

I hope you like my guide, its not copy pasted , its not stolen from someone, its purely my experience.
If u find any discrepancy plz let me know.

Feel free to share your tips here and discuss your experience
Last edited by doctor_droid; 6th April 2013 at 01:00 PM.
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to doctor_droid For This Useful Post: [ View ]

17th January 2013, 08:54 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thanks a lot for this, very informative.
When freezing apps the names of them, though some are obvious, its quite overwhelming to know what exactly to freeze.
Can you give a few example of apps you would freeze. In my case I'd like to freeze the following:
Setup Wizard
Live Wallpapers (example; Bubbles)
Stock Email app with Exchange Services (Do I need this)
Stock Calender (Do I need this)
Last edited by tarryl; 17th January 2013 at 09:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tarryl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2013, 10:16 PM |#3  
Flag Error 404- Not found
Thanks Meter: 1,726

More
Re: {save battery} {all phones}
Aren't you being Captain Obvious ...I mean, aren't these things just really obvious?

printf("random signature because I have got nothing else in my mind right now");
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prawesome For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th January 2013, 02:10 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
They are little bit common
The Following User Says Thank You to tanushanand007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2013, 06:16 PM |#5  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 407

More
P.S. - charging your battery only when it is about to get exhausted belongs to old school now. Charge whenever u can charge

Rg this does this good for battery ?? I used to do charging only when it is less than 20.. I heard and believed that battery lyf is dependent on number of charge cycles ?? please advise...
The Following User Says Thank You to anuseb89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2013, 08:24 PM |#6  
Flag DELHI
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuseb89

Rg this does this good for battery ?? I used to do charging only when it is less than 20.. I heard and believed that battery lyf is dependent on number of charge cycles ?? please advise...

If you charge your phone to around 100. Then it will be considered as one charge cycle. And if you are charging it upto 80, 85 then it wouldnt be cosidered qs one. So as OP said, it is safe to charge it frequently.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxxinn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd January 2013, 01:51 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuseb89

I thought that too but from my experience it's not true the only time I had problems with my battery is because I either didn't fully charge or discharge then it seems to cap or deteriorate at the level that I plugged in or unplugged and I have noticed that on my devices and others

don't be scared it's only a phone
ogd x d2g x2 gs3
old ladies ^
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bad bone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2013, 10:15 AM |#8  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Indore

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawesome

Aren't you being Captain Obvious ...I mean, aren't these things just really obvious?

printf("random signature because I have got nothing else in my mind right now");

Sorry forgot to mention
University is meant for learners and not critics

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doctor_droid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2013, 11:12 PM |#9  
Flag ......a galaxy far far away.....Virginia
Thanks Meter: 172

More
Good thread for informing people

Sent from my Fire Kindling A-Pad
The Following User Says Thank You to Guitarman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th January 2013, 12:24 AM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 2,874

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsanket_xperia_u

Sorry forgot to mention
University is meant for learners and not critics

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

Rofl I see someone being pissy

Although your information does what it's intended , but it should be obvious enough to the people who use smartphones

"Viper kills.....again!"
25th January 2013, 07:30 AM |#11  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Indore

More
How obvious have u seen people doing underclocking my friend??
Have seen several people using android for months years and they still dun knw rooting or governors

Just intention to help thats it my friend
And m not pissed off
Just didnt liked that captian obvious title
The Following User Says Thank You to doctor_droid For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread