5,596,700 Members 46,678 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best qi charger for under 25 shipped off amazon?

Tip us?

premo15
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltyger View Post
I went for the Choetech Qi charger. It was $30 when I got it... has been working great. Works with both my Nexus 4 and 5. No magnets tho. I did a quick video review:

http://youtu.be/SJ3cQGaN3jM

Here's the Amazon link, $30 and prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C40OG22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piero88 View Post
I use this one too and it works great!
How big is it relative to the nexus 5? I'm looking for a qi charger to attach to a car dock but it needs to be the same width as (or narrow than) the phone. Is there extra space on the edges when the phone is on it?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Piero88
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by premo15 View Post
How big is it relative to the nexus 5? I'm looking for a qi charger to attach to a car dock but it needs to be the same width as (or narrow than) the phone. Is there extra space on the edges when the phone is on it?

Sent from my Nexus 5
Yes, it is slightly larger.

bland.life
Old
(Last edited by bland.life; 3rd January 2014 at 01:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Just to add on, info on charging speed.

Just got a Nilkin Magic Disk qi charger (5V/1A output).
The charging speed is 50 mins for 10% (chargered from 90% to 100%) on the Nexus 5 with Ringke Fusion case on.

Seeing similar speed on my N7 2013 as well.

Edit quoted from my later post, more specifics as @mmmmBACON comment:
Quote:
Got the Nilkin Magic Disk.
Input is 5V/2A and output is 5V/1A.
It does not come with an adaptor, using the Nexus 7 2012 adaptor with it.

It charges 10% in 50mins (90% to 100%).
Nexus 5 is in Ringke Fusion casing and running ClockPlus Daydream at 150 brightness.

With screen off, qi charger charges 19% in 53mins (81% to 100%).

When charged via USB its 10% in 32 mins (90% to 100%).

All charges are done with Nexus 7 2012 adaptor and cable.
Cyanogenmod on - LG Nexus 5 // Asus Nexus 7 (2013) // Samsung Galaxy SII // HTC Desire
OMNI on - Asus Nexus 7 (2012)

knapz
Old
Thanks Meter 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland.life View Post

The charging speed is 50 mins for 10% (chargered from 90% to 100%) on the Nexus 5 with Ringke Fusion case on.

Oh crap. I didn't know these things were that slow!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mmmmBACON
Old
(Last edited by mmmmBACON; 2nd January 2014 at 07:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland.life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapz View Post
Oh crap. I didn't know these things were that slow!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
There are a few things that affect this, and bland.life if you could be more specific.

1) 5V/1A output is important, but how are you powering your charger? Are you just using a USB connection to a computer? If so, is it USB 2.0 or 3.0? Both of them do not supply enough current to fully power your Qi charger. USB 3.0 is better, but still not good enough. Either of these will result in a slower charge speed (if you plugged your phone directly into a USB port on your computer to charge, it would also charge slower than using the wall adapter).

Or are you using a USB wall adapter? If so, does it supply enough amps to the charger? Your charger has a 5V/2A Input current. Are you using a 5V/2A Output USB wall adapter to power it? If you are using anything lower, again, your charger is not being fully powered and your charging speed will be slower.

2) Wireless charging will always be slower than wired. It's the convenience of wireless charging that is the selling point. A fully powered 5V/1A Qi charger will charge the Nexus 5 around ~70-75% the speed of wall charging with a wire. The Nexus 5 takes ~2 hours (give or take a few minutes) to charge from 0 - 100% on the stock adapter. Expect wireless to be ~2.5 hours (give or take a few minutes).

3) You need to understand how these batteries charge. There are different charging speeds at different times in the charging cycle. The very beginning and end of a charge cycle are slower. This is to protect the phone and battery. This also will happen both using wireless Qi charging, or standard wired charging.

You chose to record charging time using 90 - 100%, this is when all phones will be charging at their slowest. Think of it maybe in terms of the cooldown period after someone has finished running a race. You don't wake up, run a race full tilt until it's over, then directly lay down and sleep. You will probably hurt yourself. Even when growing up, you learned to stretch and warm up first, then push hard, then walk it off to slow your heart rate gradually. The same concept applies here with charging. You decided to watch when the race was over and everyone was walking around. Haha.

If you want to gauge how fast it is charging, look at the total time to charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmmmBACON For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]