5,598,718 Members 37,931 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bleaching the nexus Bumper case

Tip us?

pk92
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Would patterns be possible to make, like putting maybe some electrical tape over a blue bumper and putting it in black dye to have black and blue patterns?

Rarscaryfrosty
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk92 View Post
Would patterns be possible to make, like putting maybe some electrical tape over a blue bumper and putting it in black dye to have black and blue patterns?
Theoretically yes, by using Rit Dye, you can achieve similar results as to this. This is about guns, but the process would be very similar.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=19&t=350997

The plastic itself absorbs the dye permanently, so it'll never wear off, scratch off, or peel.

Dragn4rce
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 329

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarscaryfrosty View Post
Theoretically yes, by using Rit Dye, you can achieve similar results as to this. This is about guns, but the process would be very similar.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=19&t=350997

The plastic itself absorbs the dye permanently, so it'll never wear off, scratch off, or peel.
And you could re-dye it a different color right?

Sent from my ѣ$ 5

Rarscaryfrosty
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragn4rce View Post
And you could re-dye it a different color right?

Sent from my ѣ$ 5
It is possible to redye already dyed plastics. The process is a bit more difficult, but not impossible. For example, if you tried to dye a black piece of plastic white, it may turn out to be gray in color. Even with repeated dyes, it will most likely remain gray, but a lighter shade each time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rarscaryfrosty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thetonyclifton
Old
(Last edited by thetonyclifton; 29th January 2014 at 04:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
What process did you use to dye it? Pictures of your dyes case if possible? I have a black case but my brother ordered a grey one. Will probably have to dye it after a bit
I used the grey RitDye. I placed it in warm but not boiling water (with the dye mixed in) I kept it on a very low heat and moved the case about in the mixture every now and again. The inside back of the case is a different material and did not take the dye, everything else did...although the edge of the case (the more flexible part around the screen of the phone) ended up needed a lot longer in the mixture to dye meaning the rest of the case got very dark so I had to go for an almost but not quite black. The case was probably in the dye for about 2 hours.

I would guess that the grey case could be dyed a colour like red or blue but I didnt want to run up against the discolouration problem again so just went dark. Since I had already been refunded for the case due to the colour problem I took a risk and dyed the case.

You probably can't see the nexus logo in this photo but it is still visible from certain angles and certain light conditions but I actually prefer cases without branding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391012792439.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	2546884  

zmattmanz
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
That looks great. I have the light gray case but it looks awful now. Does any of that dye come off?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Only Android. Only Apps.

thetonyclifton
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Not on your hands or anything, but if you scrub at it for the first little while with a wet tissue it would colour the tissue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app