5,596,568 Members 41,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do cases block your radio or antenna?

Tip us?

dicecuber
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Do cases block your radio or antenna?

Been frustrated this ever since I had this phone cased in a spigen ultra fit . It always drops signal. Used stock everything with original 4.4 to stock everything with 4.4.1 to 4.41 with 4.4 radio and every combination used still drops signal for me.

I've been running no case for the last 12hrs and no drops. Could this case be the culprit?

Sent from **Nexus 5 sucks**

Wbroshea
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecuber View Post
Been frustrated this ever since I had this phone cased in a spigen ultra fit . It always drops signal. Used stock everything with original 4.4 to stock everything with 4.4.1 to 4.41 with 4.4 radio and every combination used still drops signal for me.

I've been running no case for the last 12hrs and no drops. Could this case be the culprit?

I hate to say it, and I still am not sure I believe it, but I have noticed very weak signal with my spigen slim armor on and better signal with it off. Probably just placebo as Im not sure how plastic would block signal, but it seems odd.

ThugEsquire
Old
Thanks Meter 33
To answer your questions:
  1. Yes, a case can absolutely interfere with the RF of your phone. However, plastic does not normally do this.
  2. If you are noticing better signal with the case off, and that is the only difference between readings of RSSI, then it's likely the case.

dicecuber
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Thanks for your replies. I'll report back my findings after going caseless tonight

kamnikaz
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbroshea View Post
I hate to say it, and I still am not sure I believe it, but I have noticed very weak signal with my spigen slim armor on and better signal with it off. Probably just placebo as Im not sure how plastic would block signal, but it seems odd.
I've noticed the same with my slimarmor

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk
Google Nexus 5 stock rooted / Franco kernel

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 176
I've seen no loss of signal using a Ringke Fusion case.
W32

kpjimmy
Old
Thanks Meter 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
I've seen no loss of signal using a Ringke Fusion case.
No drops with my Spigen Ultra Hybrid or i-Blason Candygel hybrid tpu.
gplus.to/kpjimmy <---Add me to G+!
http://mycolorscreen.com/kpjimmy/<---My colorscreen images

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 47
There's a lot of complaints about weaker radio signal in 4.4.1. I use a slim armor and it doesn't seem like it affects it. I have pretty crappy reception at home though so who knows.

dicecuber
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Hmmm no dropped signal today when I went caseless. But at the same time didn't have any calls longer than 2 minutes. So couldn't accurately test.

Sent from **Nexus 5 signal sucks**

droid_<3er
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Did you all take the OTA?

I'm on KANGAKAT 4.4.1 (I do believe that he didn't put the new radio in so it's still 4.4 radio) and reception is stellar. You could try fastboot flash radio with the original 4.4 radio.

PS: oh hey fellow vancouverite. All the other Canadians I've seen on here are from Toronto.
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB
ROM: Unitato
Kernel: Some linaro one
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4

Previous phones: Motorola Defy (Mint ROM-4.1.2) hooked up to home theater, HTC Desire (VJ CM10.2-4.2.2)
Tab: iPad Mini

Before you post about a question that's been answered one million times just because you feel that people of XDA are responsible for fixing your phone, please take the time to read this post.