Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,819 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My Nexus Wireless Charger Car Mount Setup

Tip us?

youngjediboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default My Nexus Wireless Charger Car Mount Setup

Hi everybody! I've seen a few threads about figuring how to use the Nexus Wireless Charger as a car mount/dock for our Nexus 5 phones and this is the solution that I've come up with. It's not the cheapest option as this charger costs more than most others out there. However, I wanted to utilize one of the standout features of the Nexus 5 which is being able to use the wireless magnetic charger out of the box without any modifications. I also didn't want to do any drastic mods to mount that to my car. I've seen other threads showing how some of you smart engineer types can rig some cool setups using paper clips and rubber bands. I'm no Macguyver (though I wish I was that smart).

I actually have tried to mount a wireless charging dock. This was a few years ago when I had the Palm Pre, which had the wireless charging (and also magnetic) Touchstone. To keep it short, I used this moldable plastic stuff to fix it to a car mount, which was then screwed onto my dashboard. It was not pretty at all. Plus, that moldable plastic ended up melting on a hot summer day. Shortly after that Palm got sold to HP and webOS went the way of the Dodo. I moved on to a Samsung Galaxy SII and have been missing the webOS cards and the Touchstone ever since.
Now comes the Nexus 5. To my surprise Google/LG also announces the awesome Nexus Wireless Charger. FINALLY something equivalent to the amazing Palm Touchstone. I just HAVE to have it.

Once you use something like a Touchstone and the Nexus Wireless Charger, it's tough to go back. Yes, you can still plug in the microUSB cord and yes it's not a big deal. But once you start using a nice magnetic wireless charger, you'll know. You just pop the phone on, it holds in place, and charges. Simple. In the car it makes absolute sense. Now I wish that the stock Android homescreen supports landscape mode by default and that there was a better interface for car use, but those are software issues which I think will only get better with time. As far as hardware goes though, the Nexus 5 along with the Nexus Wireless Charger on a good car mount works amazing. No need to modify the phone or your car dashboard and the magnet holds the phone on strongly. The only main disadvantage hardware-wise is that the phone has to be naked for the magnet to hold strongly. I also wish the Nexus 5 has the Touchless Controls of the Moto X; that would seem like the perfect thing to do have while the phone is docked on the car.

TLDR version: Magnetic wireless chargers are friggin awesome and are even more awesomer to use as a car dock. List of stuff, pics and video below.

Please excuse my dirty dusty car, poor speaking skills and shaky camera.

List of items:

Nexus Wireless Charger
Price: $49.99
https://play.google.com/store/device..._charger&hl=en

Arkon Sticky Suction Mounting Pedestal w/ 3" Articulating Arm
Item #: GN079WD-SBH
Price: $14.95

Use with

Arkon Vertical Female Dual T-Slot Adapter w/ 3M Adhesive Back
Item #: AP016-3M
Price: $7.95

http://www.arkon.com/

The 'Sticky Suction' items are new and don't seem to be on the site yet, but they're listed in the 2014 catalog PDF. I was able to order directly from them and pick up since I live nearby in Southern California. I like their modular approach to the car mounts by having the ball and dual T adapters and I was glad to find something that I could easily stick the Nexus wireless charger to for my setup.

Also if you're wondering, this is the USB Car Charger I'm using and it seems to not have any problems so far.
Scosche Dual 10 Watt 2.1A USB Car Charger
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-USBC20...dp/B0077PM3KG/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to youngjediboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dogie52
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I don't know how much I trust that magnet did it fall off on anyone im really tempted to try this out

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 79
I really want to do this, but I feel like you can only do this if you don't use a case. Even though the wireless charger should work with thinner cases, I don't think the magnet will hold very well unless the phone is naked.

mrro82
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer View Post
I really want to do this, but I feel like you can only do this if you don't use a case. Even though the wireless charger should work with thinner cases, I don't think the magnet will hold very well unless the phone is naked.
Correct. I haven't seen a magnetic one yet that can hold this phone with a case on. It's kinda weird considering phone cases are the norm. Why not make it with stronger magnets to compensate?

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

Lithoss
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Better question is why can't someone make a case with metal tabs in the same locations as the phone?
That way the magnets wouldn't have to be stronger.
They'd have my money instantly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

JohnLocke44
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Nice project man! Very clean!
Can you do me a favor? When the phone is attached, can you measure the magnetic field? Just use an apk that measure with the magnetic field sensor of the phone.

Thanks a lot!

Enviado do meu Nexus 5
Nexus 5 32GB - 4.4.2 Cataclysm ROM on ART + ElementalX Kernel
Nexus 7 3G - 4.4.2 Stock Rooted + Franco Kernel + Gravity Box

JohnnyKilo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have done pretty much the same thing (just a different mount) but I had had issues finding a USB cable that will work. Can you tell me which one you used?

Vincent Law
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrro82 View Post
Correct. I haven't seen a magnetic one yet that can hold this phone with a case on. It's kinda weird considering phone cases are the norm. Why not make it with stronger magnets to compensate?

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!
The Google LG Brand Quick Cover (the flappy one) actually has steel bits to align with the magnets. It actually holds on stronger than without the case!

zabz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This is VERY cool! Thank you!

Quick question, do you get any vibrations when driving, or when you hit a speed bump? I drive a truck and the dash vibrats... I wonder if it would hold. I guess I could always connect it to the glass...

Redwid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is your phone charging when you are using navigation app (Google maps for example)?
I've tried with Chinese cheap wireless charger and performance for this case isn't amazing.
At least it's not discharging, but not able to charge with navigation on.