Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,941 Members 38,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OEM cord that will charge in car

Tip us?
 
ldubs
Old
#1  
ldubs's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 367
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Default OEM cord that will charge in car

Anyone know of a good source to get an OEM cord that will properly charge in the car? Tried monoprice and a couple others and they appear to be charging but don't actually charge.

sent from my hammerhead


Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here
 
ldubs
Old
#2  
ldubs's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 367
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Anyone?

sent from my hammerhead


Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here
 
Ben36
Old
#3  
Ben36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,636
Posts: 5,900
Join Date: Jun 2012
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51825009

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
raptir
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 179
Posts: 919
Join Date: May 2010
If you are trying to charge from a USB port built in to your car, you are only going to get a 500mA current which isn't enough to charge your phone if you're using navigation or anything.

For a charger that will work well in the car, look at the Anker PowerIQ charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Du...=anker+poweriq

Both ports will charge Android devices or iPhones at the full rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to raptir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
eggnog514
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir View Post
If you are trying to charge from a USB port built in to your car, you are only going to get a 500mA current which isn't enough to charge your phone if you're using navigation or anything.

For a charger that will work well in the car, look at the Anker PowerIQ charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Du...=anker+poweriq

Both ports will charge Android devices or iPhones at the full rate.
if u turn off ur screen & only listen to the directions, it will charge, but if u want to see where ur going, the battery will remain flat. power in = power out.
 
Ben36
Old
#6  
Ben36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,636
Posts: 5,900
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir View Post
If you are trying to charge from a USB port built in to your car, you are only going to get a 500mA current which isn't enough to charge your phone if you're using navigation or anything.

For a charger that will work well in the car, look at the Anker PowerIQ charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Du...=anker+poweriq

Both ports will charge Android devices or iPhones at the full rate.
Whaaaaaat?? Cars can put out more than 500ma

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
raptir
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 179
Posts: 919
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36 View Post
Whaaaaaat?? Cars can put out more than 500ma

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
If the port is a charging-only port, sure. But most are charging + data ports.
 
ldubs
Old
#8  
ldubs's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 367
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I have a car charger but for some reason the cables I've gotten don't charge properly, even though it looks like it is.

sent from my hammerhead


Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here
 
Vincent Law
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 339
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36 View Post
Whaaaaaat?? Cars can put out more than 500ma

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
It varies dramatically from car to car, even from year to year. Generally, if it doesn't look like it's charging much, if at all, it's because it's not putting out enough amps, period.
 
raptir
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 179
Posts: 919
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs View Post
I have a car charger but for some reason the cables I've gotten don't charge properly, even though it looks like it is.

sent from my hammerhead
How have you determined that it is the cable and not the charger? It is much more likely that a charger would be defective than a cable.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes