Car crazy with Nexus Charger

Tip us?

GrandeParade
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Car crazy with Nexus Charger

Hello,

Can someone confirm the measures on the new Nexus Wireless Charger. The information I have says 60 mm X 60 mm X 12.5 mm.

If thats true, it shouldn't be too hard to fit it inside this:
*Edit* Cant post links as a new member. Its the Brodit/ProClip for Nexus 5. */Edit*

Since I already have ProClip in my car, i figure it Could be an easy mod to get wireless charging in the car.

Anyone sees any difficulties?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GrandeParade
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Car Cradle, not Car crazy..

jt3
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeParade View Post
Hello,

Can someone confirm the measures on the new Nexus Wireless Charger. The information I have says 60 mm X 60 mm X 12.5 mm.

If thats true, it shouldn't be too hard to fit it inside this:
*Edit* Cant post links as a new member. Its the Brodit/ProClip for Nexus 5. */Edit*

Since I already have ProClip in my car, i figure it Could be an easy mod to get wireless charging in the car.
I don't have mine with me, since it's in my car, but that sounds right. It's perfectly square and my N5 hangs over by several mm on each side, so width-wise, it should fit no problem. However, 12mm is an awful lot depth-wise. I know there's a gap with that mount, but some of that is due to the curve of the mount. Is there really 12+mm of gap? If so, then it should be fairly easy. You'd probably need to use some sort of adhesive, such as double-sided tape though, because those magnets on that charger are hella strong, and the charger is likely to come out when you remove the phone otherwise.

I use this charger in my car too, but it's just setting in the center console, so it's not mounted per se. Having the phone tucked away in the console (not visible) was fine for my purposes.

GrandeParade
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks!

I got the technical drawing from Brodit, the gap is 65mm x 9.5mm. So I have to sand it down a little, but the cradle is going to be semi - permanent so I'll probably fix the charger and use Bondo to achieve a nice finish.

99RedB
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Thanks!

I got the technical drawing from Brodit, the gap is 65mm x 9.5mm. So I have to sand it down a little, but the cradle is going to be semi - permanent so I'll probably fix the charger and use Bondo to achieve a nice finish.
How did you get on with this? I'm looking at taking a similar approach so I'm curious as to whether it worked for you.

GrandeParade
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedB View Post
How did you get on with this? I'm looking at taking a similar approach so I'm curious as to whether it worked for you.
Hello,

I'm still in Thailand on vacation so nothing has happened yet, but I'm back at home soon.

But, since I posted this I figured : what's the difference between having a mount with a fixed Qi - charger instead of just buying the Brodit Active charger? You still have to have the cable all the way. And the way the Brodit Active charger mount works you just slide your phone in and it's charging.

Do you see any real advantages to having the Qi - mount solution?

99RedB
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hello,

I'm still in Thailand on vacation so nothing has happened yet, but I'm back at home soon.

But, since I posted this I figured : what's the difference between having a mount with a fixed Qi - charger instead of just buying the Brodit Active charger? You still have to have the cable all the way. And the way the Brodit Active charger mount works you just slide your phone in and it's charging.

Do you see any real advantages to having the Qi - mount solution?
Simplicity - the same reason I liked pogo-plug charging and use a Qi desk charger. I don't have to faff about fitting the phone into the charger - just drop it into place and it charges.

GrandeParade
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedB View Post
Simplicity - the same reason I liked pogo-plug charging and use a Qi desk charger. I don't have to faff about fitting the phone into the charger - just drop it into place and it charges.
I received the Brodit now, and should receive the wireless charger soon. I have too much office work to do at the moment, so this will be a slow project (AS if you haven't noticed).

Did you come up with any ideas of a wireless easy-to-use solution?