Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 41,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car mount... vent vs dash?

Tip us?
 
raptir
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Posts: 924
Join Date: May 2010
Default Car mount... vent vs dash?

I'm looking to get a car mount for my Nexus 5, but I'm not sure which style to go with. My dad has the Aduro u-grip and likes it, but he says it has fallen off his dash a couple times. He doesn't use the 3M tape though, so I imagine that could stick it more permanently.

http://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Universa...5607983&sr=8-2

I've also seen options that fit on your vent.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe-...5608084&sr=8-1

The vents in my car are fairly close together, so I'm a little concerned about that fitting.

I haven't really seen many of the traditional windshield mount options, but I never had much success with those sticking well anyway.

Any thoughts on the two I posted plus other possibilities?
 
cgjjaf
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 141
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir View Post
I'm looking to get a car mount for my Nexus 5, but I'm not sure which style to go with. My dad has the Aduro u-grip and likes it, but he says it has fallen off his dash a couple times. He doesn't use the 3M tape though, so I imagine that could stick it more permanently.

http://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Universa...5607983&sr=8-2

I've also seen options that fit on your vent.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe-...5608084&sr=8-1

The vents in my car are fairly close together, so I'm a little concerned about that fitting.

I haven't really seen many of the traditional windshield mount options, but I never had much success with those sticking well anyway.

Any thoughts on the two I posted plus other possibilities?
Hello,

The one that your dad has is awful, it won't stick even with the 3M tape/disk. As for the second one, I used with a smaller phone and it worked fine, but I think it might be a tight fit for the N5, especially if you use a case.

I currently have these two:

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Windshi...eywords=iottie

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Univers...eywords=iottie

The first one is in my car, the other one in my wife's. I particularly like mine, as it is easier to get the phone in and out. Also, you won't need the 3M tape. iOttie uses an special type of suction cup that attaches to virtually anything. I will also like to mention that both mounts have fallen a couple of times, during the winter time, but I am talking about really cold temperatures. You can put them in the windshield as well as in the dashboard, but I don't like to put them in the windshield, because I mostly listen to music through my phone and it is kind of far away to use for me.

Regarding the vent mounts, I have used them in the past with other phones, and there is just one major benefit in my opinion. When you are using the navigation app, the phone tends to get really hot and if you are listening to music is even worse. With your phone in the vent, that won't be an issue, even during the winter. The only con I can think of is that some of those vent mounts won't have a strong hold in your phone, so if you hit a big bump in the road the phone might come out.

I hope this helps.
[/SIGPIC]
 
raptir
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Posts: 924
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjjaf View Post
Regarding the vent mounts, I have used them in the past with other phones, and there is just one major benefit in my opinion. When you are using the navigation app, the phone tends to get really hot and if you are listening to music is even worse. With your phone in the vent, that won't be an issue, even during the winter. The only con I can think of is that some of those vent mounts won't have a strong hold in your phone, so if you hit a big bump in the road the phone might come out.

I hope this helps.
Yeah, that's why I was looking at vent mounts. My old HTC Incredible would overheat if I didn't position my one vent in such a way as to blow cold air on it. Unfortunately in my new car the vents can't angle to blow cold air on where the phone would be in a window or dash mount.
 
atoy74
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 43
Posts: 453
Join Date: Oct 2007
I have a Kenu Airframe and am a huge fan. I've had it for a little over a year. Excellent product.
----------------------
PHONE-
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Tablet-
Surface Pro 3
 
namartlu
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 236
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoy74 View Post
I have a Kenu Airframe and am a huge fan. I've had it for a little over a year. Excellent product.
+1 on the Kenu, but I used it with the Nexus5 Qi charger. See this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...arger-t2573184

It's very convenient to have the N5 magnetically mounted. I tried without the magnetic charger, it's a bit hard to insert/remove the phone from the Kenu mount.
 
SilkyJohnson
Old
#6  
SilkyJohnson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 113
Join Date: Jul 2014
I use a vent clip one I picked up from Wally-World. It worked fine for the last three phones I've had. $15.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes