5,597,261 Members 40,489 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Not sure which case should I get, please help!

Tip us?

edwrech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Smile Not sure which case should I get, please help!

(I'll copy the text from the other thread)
I'm looking for a case that costs ~10-~20 EUR (amazon.de), is good in drop protection (more specifically, the corners, the camera lens and the screen) and just how comfortable it is, would you recommend it and so on.
I also have seen zedomax's CruzerLite Nexus 5 drop test. Do the cases (Androidified A2 like in the video or Bugdroid Circuit) protect as well as in the video (the drop tests aren't fake, right?)?
How's the Spigen Slim Armor, too? I heard it protects well, but after seeing a G2 drop test, it seems to perform not really well in a frontal test. What do you think?
So, please suggest me some. But I NEED AND REQUIRE good drop protection (front and back) and not adding too much bulk making it uncomfortable to use. Of course, good a price too.

malibu_23
Old
Thanks Meter 118
go hard or go home...

Nexus 10/Galaxy Nexus
Both rooted and customized to my approved level of awesomeness...
The Following User Says Thank You to malibu_23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dicecuber
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 51
Neo hybrid

Team Nexus 5 sucks

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Kinda bulky since tpu and hardshell but slimmer than bulky hybrid /fusion. Or a can go with tpu. Go Dzitronic tpu

Team Nexus 5 sucks

zolo185
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Slim armor all the way. Got it in champagne

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

edwrech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_23 View Post
go hard or go home...
That's the official one, right? How does it do with drop protection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecuber View Post
Neo hybrid

Team Nexus 5 sucks

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Kinda bulky since tpu and hardshell but slimmer than bulky hybrid /fusion. Or a can go with tpu. Go Dzitronic tpu

Team Nexus 5 sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolo185 View Post
Slim armor all the way. Got it in champagne

How do they do with drop protection?

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 164
I recommend cruzerlite TPU cases.

zolo185
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I haven't dropped my phone yet *knock on wood* but it believe its the most protective while still being slim. Has reinforced edges . dual layer and has a lip to lay on the screen. Also the camera is protected pretty well.

GavinMazey
Old
Thanks Meter 105
I'm using the rinke fusion crystal clear and while it adds more bulk than I personally like its not to bad. It survived a fall off the top of a 6ft ladder actual height was probably 7ft as I was standing on the top rung and dropped it from my pocket on to a wood floor, No damage what so ever. I'm on my second nexus already the first slid off my couch at about 1.5ft and completely shattered the screen.

krabman
Old
Thanks Meter 124
I have the Neo Hybrid and it isn't nearly as good as a tough case or Seidio cases I have had. Not sure I would recommend it, nothing particularly wrong with it but it lacks the cushioning of a touch case, dilex, commuter, etc which in my experience is a major help in drops. It also lacks their better grip and feel in hand. Best thing that can be said for it is that it doesn't look cheap and it will keep the phone from getting scratched. I had a toughcase on my sgs 2, 3, and 4 and obviously between the phones over the course of years there were a number of drops but never a break. Out of those the otterbox boys claim there will be no commuter for the N5, casemate is still mum but does have one case for it coming soon and there may be hope for the tough case and seidio is just now getting there cases on the market. Myself I have a dilex coming Monday which should prove better than the Neo I have now and if Casemate gets the toughcase out I'll buy that in a heartbeat. Easily the best I have ever owned and I have been through a number of cases looking for a better mouse trap over the years. Otterbox quality seems to have gone down over the last few years and their commuter is bested by the tough case anyways making them a poor choice even if they did make one. Seidio I haven't had in a few years so for me the jury is out on them till I try the one I have coming now. Previous cases I had with them were good however.

None of these would help you though if you want screen protection. The only real way to do that is a pouch or a wallet style. Those have their own issues.. The pouch is great when the phone is in it but does nothing when its not and you tend to drop the phone when you're using it, not when its in its pouch in your pocket. Also its another thing in between you and answering a call. Wallets have the advantage of being on the phone when it falls but these can be among the thickest of the cases and some people hate having to fold the flap over to use the phone. I'm one of those, the protection is great but I find them too annoying in use. This is something you have to try for yourself to see where you stand.

In the end no case is perfect, each style has its compromise and you are going to have to choose which ones you want to make personally because you cant have it all in one case.