Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,676 Members 51,489 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus Official Fast Charger Review

Tip us?

jlmcr87
Old
(Last edited by jlmcr87; 3rd April 2014 at 01:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 633

DONATE TO ME
Default Nexus Official Fast Charger Review

Nexus Official Fast Charger Review by jlmcr87:

Charger Features:
- 1.8 A.
- 1 meter cable (the same lenght of the charger that comes with the phone)
Thoughts: very good design and finish.Charge time over an hour (from 15%).

Charge time :

Normal charger: 2300/1200=1.9 hours
Fast charger: 2300/1500=1.5 hours (Nexus 5 charge is limited to 1.5A)

Price with shipping: 18 euros
Pictures:

Devices
: Nokia 6510 -> Sony Ericsson Z600 -> Sony Ericsson W880 -> Sony Ericsson W980 -> Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc -> Google Nexus 5 32GB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jlmcr87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thesebastian
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Good to know!

I'm waiting a wireless charger that I bought on play store. But I'm planning to use the 1.8A charger included in the packagr which is the same (afaik) charger.

The only thing that preoccupies me....is the delivery time....It must arrive today (5-9 business days shipping..no tracking number).

Sent from my Nexus 5
Devices:
Nexus 5 (Stock + Franco Kernel) - Galaxy Nexus (CM11 + A.S.K.P. Kernel) - Nexus 7 2012 (Stock); Galaxy S GT-i9000 (CM11 - zRAM OFF); Galaxy Y Pro B5510L (Stock).
Previous:
Nexus 4 16GB; Galaxy S3 GT-i9300.

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesebastian View Post
Good to know!

I'm waiting a wireless charger that I bought on play store. But I'm planning to use the 1.8A charger included in the packagr which is the same (afaik) charger.

The only thing that preoccupies me....is the delivery time....It must arrive today (5-9 business days shipping..no tracking number).

Sent from my Nexus 5
The charger from the Wireless charger is the one above (I bought both)
OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH25R)

HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 2.22.401.4 (KTU84L) | HBOOT: 3.18.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.19.2133147.09G_20.57.4196.01L_F | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prsterero
Old
Thanks Meter 592
I wonder why the made it 1.8 if the n5 is only capable of 1.5 at most. Does the n7 have a higher charge capacity? Or maybe they're future proofing it for the new slew of nexus'

prshosting.org

thesebastian
Old
Thanks Meter 202
I think its more efficient to have a 1.8A charger working at 1.5A. (I'm not electrician so don't rely too much in this sentence).

Also..because is targeted to different nexus devices and (also) the wireless charger pad.
Devices:
Nexus 5 (Stock + Franco Kernel) - Galaxy Nexus (CM11 + A.S.K.P. Kernel) - Nexus 7 2012 (Stock); Galaxy S GT-i9000 (CM11 - zRAM OFF); Galaxy Y Pro B5510L (Stock).
Previous:
Nexus 4 16GB; Galaxy S3 GT-i9300.

Pandages
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsterero View Post
I wonder why the made it 1.8 if the n5 is only capable of 1.5 at most. Does the n7 have a higher charge capacity? Or maybe they're future proofing it for the new slew of nexus'

prshosting.org
while those are possible minor considerations, the major one is for powering the wireless charger:

Conversion of 5VDC to a magnetic field, back into and inductive coil, into 5VDC again, comes with losses (in the form of heat). The Qi spec allows for the output of a inductive charger to meet but not exceed 1Amp. To do that, the input needs to be higher, about 1.5-2.0A. Ultimately what makes it to the battery will be less than 1A, probably 0.8-0.7A, so for the fastest charging, always use a cable.

That said, for overnight, Qi is great. Trickle charging is good for LiPo cells. (Conversely, heat is very bad for them, so the heat from the VDC->inductive->VDC->chemical energy isn't great. Life is about tradeoffs, haha.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Pandages For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandages View Post
That said, for overnight, Qi is great. Trickle charging is good for LiPo cells. (Conversely, heat is very bad for them, so the heat from the VDC->inductive->VDC->chemical energy isn't great. Life is about tradeoffs, haha.)
When it comes down to it, charging is bad for batteries.
The Following User Says Thank You to raptir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Semantics
Old
Thanks Meter 468
Is there a link to this charger? I don't see it on Google Play.

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Is there a link to this charger? I don't see it on Google Play.
https://play.google.com/store/device...ging_accessory

The Following User Says Thank You to raptir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]