3rd March 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #51  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cali
Thanks Meter: 281

1,246 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unroot_

you are

The great thing about standards is that there always is a document that shows how it works:
http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.c...ification.html

There are diffetent types of coils mentioned in it. Design A11 is widely used. It features a coil of about 43mm in diameter and about 2mm thick. The induced voltage in the secondary coil (in the N5) is proportional to the change of current in the primary coil (qi-charger). Therefore you need AC. IIRC the typical frequency is 120-175kHz. You can look it up in the specification for further details.

A change of the shape of the coil dows indeed change its behaviour as you would also change its area.

oh come on i was close! lol

It still "works" it will still put out voltage but not the right amount to properly function.

So now how do i make a oval coil work? Would I then have to change the original ac voltage? If so that idea is scrapped. I dont have the resources this week to re invent the wheel. Maybe next week.

Then would just 2 coils be best? That way the issue with the 3 coils is avoided but it can still work for a better selection of phones tablets?
5th March 2014, 11:26 AM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 10

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad4u6669

oh come on i was close! lol

It still "works" it will still put out voltage but not the right amount to properly function.

So now how do i make a oval coil work? Would I then have to change the original ac voltage? If so that idea is scrapped. I dont have the resources this week to re invent the wheel. Maybe next week.

Then would just 2 coils be best? That way the issue with the 3 coils is avoided but it can still work for a better selection of phones tablets?

I actually have no idea how robust the standard is. it _could_ work with a slightly deformed coil.

You could compare the electrical characteristics of your current design (i assume it's A11 or A5) with those of another design that has a more oval shape. Those exist, too!

Even if you don't plan on changing your design: the spec is an interesting read as it explains how qi works and what to do/avoid when building a charger.

I also recommend the later chapters as they give a nice hint on what's to come in the future of qi-devices. There are a lot of designs unseen in current products.
5th March 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
More
Didn't see it mentioned before, but the "AirDock" sounds like exactly what you guys are asking for.. He shows a N5 and N7 on the page. I did contribute but haven't received mine yet.

EDIT: OK, I'm too much of a n00b to post a helpful link. Go to indiegogo and search for "AirDock".
5th March 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #54  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cali
Thanks Meter: 281

1,246 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo128

Didn't see it mentioned before, but the "AirDock" sounds like exactly what you guys are asking for.. He shows a N5 and N7 on the page. I did contribute but haven't received mine yet.

EDIT: OK, I'm too much of a n00b to post a helpful link. Go to indiegogo and search for "AirDock".

Ive seen the air doc. No way in hell I would have that thing on my desk. Thats a car mount no matter what he says. Dont get me wrong its a good product.

Mine just looks better
6th April 2014, 08:09 AM   |  #55  
Thanks Meter: 149

553 posts
More
Did you ever make more of these?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread