No registration required

I just dyed my grubby official grey bumper

OP thetonyclifton

18th January 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 20

97 posts
More
I had bought the official grey bumper case only to ask for a refund a couple of days in as the case started staining almost immediately. I was given a quick refund and told to keep the case anyway.

Since it was now free and I don't like grubby, I thought I would experiment.I bought some Rit dye from eBay for 3 and dyed the case a darker grey. The case started turning navy pretty quickly but the lip of the case took a long time in the dunk tank to take the dye properly (must be slightly different material to be more flexible when fitting the case) so ultimately the case finished up a dark charcoal grey, almost black but not quite. It is actually very nice. I might put up some photos...but if anyone is in the same boat and curious, the official bumper can be dyed, it just takes 2-3 hours in Rit dye.
18th January 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bangalore, Karnataka
Thanks Meter: 12

90 posts
More
nice to know waiting for photos
18th January 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
Scratch!
Next time try to scratch the surface with very fine sandpaper, 2000 points and above. The paint will apply a lot easier!
1st July 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonyclifton

I had bought the official grey bumper case only to ask for a refund a couple of days in as the case started staining almost immediately. I was given a quick refund and told to keep the case anyway.

Since it was now free and I don't like grubby, I thought I would experiment.I bought some Rit dye from eBay for 3 and dyed the case a darker grey. The case started turning navy pretty quickly but the lip of the case took a long time in the dunk tank to take the dye properly (must be slightly different material to be more flexible when fitting the case) so ultimately the case finished up a dark charcoal grey, almost black but not quite. It is actually very nice. I might put up some photos...but if anyone is in the same boat and curious, the official bumper can be dyed, it just takes 2-3 hours in Rit dye.

I'm interested in seeing how it looks like. I have a crapped out yellow official case at the moment that I'm considering dying.
3rd July 2014, 08:05 AM   |  #5  
Flag Surprise, AZ
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
What color Rit dye did you use? Black? I'd like to see some pics.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread