Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,586 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I just dyed my grubby official grey bumper

Tip us?

thetonyclifton
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default I just dyed my grubby official grey bumper

I had bought the official grey bumper case only to ask for a refund a couple of days in as the case started staining almost immediately. I was given a quick refund and told to keep the case anyway.

Since it was now free and I don't like grubby, I thought I would experiment.I bought some Rit dye from eBay for 3 and dyed the case a darker grey. The case started turning navy pretty quickly but the lip of the case took a long time in the dunk tank to take the dye properly (must be slightly different material to be more flexible when fitting the case) so ultimately the case finished up a dark charcoal grey, almost black but not quite. It is actually very nice. I might put up some photos...but if anyone is in the same boat and curious, the official bumper can be dyed, it just takes 2-3 hours in Rit dye.

vaibhav.ravi
Old
Thanks Meter 12
nice to know waiting for photos

spyrakos7
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Scratch!

Next time try to scratch the surface with very fine sandpaper, 2000 points and above. The paint will apply a lot easier!

isangmahal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonyclifton View Post
I had bought the official grey bumper case only to ask for a refund a couple of days in as the case started staining almost immediately. I was given a quick refund and told to keep the case anyway.

Since it was now free and I don't like grubby, I thought I would experiment.I bought some Rit dye from eBay for 3 and dyed the case a darker grey. The case started turning navy pretty quickly but the lip of the case took a long time in the dunk tank to take the dye properly (must be slightly different material to be more flexible when fitting the case) so ultimately the case finished up a dark charcoal grey, almost black but not quite. It is actually very nice. I might put up some photos...but if anyone is in the same boat and curious, the official bumper can be dyed, it just takes 2-3 hours in Rit dye.
I'm interested in seeing how it looks like. I have a crapped out yellow official case at the moment that I'm considering dying.

Crmson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What color Rit dye did you use? Black? I'd like to see some pics.